Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

gaming graphics card advice?

Discuss Windows, Mac, or Linux Gaming (or other types of applications) here
Halvhjearne

gaming graphics card advice?

Post by Halvhjearne »

ok im considering buying a bran new gaming graphics card, and i thought i'd hear what others can say about there experince if you bougt a new card recently :)

of course i have several options here, but to narrow it down a bit, im ONLY considering Nvidia chipset GTX cards becourse i want a good card but mostly to ensure good driver support on linux as well, tho the main use will be games (wich obviusly will be played in windows).
ofcourse i dont have a fortune to spend on this, but i thought about spending something around 200$ ... should i spend even more or would i get a good card for that price?

i've allready been looking around for a bit and i kinda got the hots for this card (wich is exactly 200$):
http://www.club-3d.com/index.php/produc ... 50-ti.html

one of my friends just bought one just like that recently and he only has good things to say (obviusly since hes last card was a gf8400 gs), tho the one he has is a zotac ... is there actually any diffrence in that anyway, isnt a Nvidia GTX 550ti card the same, wheter zotac or club 3d made it??

share some info, thoughts or advice on this ... it would be nice to hear others oppinion on this before i rush out and buy one :)
Advertising
Dr. Evil wrote:I used to use Windows, but it was designed by freakin' idiots.
Now i use linux allowing me to conrol the "lasers" on my "death star" with ease.
I'm Dr. Evil, and I'm aspiring to take over the world.
ViP3R

Re: gaming graphics card advice?

Post by ViP3R »

Buy the GTX, it's ftw ;)
Advertising
Goodbye, Captain John "Soap" Mactavish
And Goodbye, Joe Frazier - thanks for encouraging me to have my own PSP
m0skit0
Guru

Post by m0skit0 »

That card is a beast, go for it! ;)
I wanna lots of mov al,0xb
"just not into this RA stuffz"
irfanhb7

Post by irfanhb7 »

If you had a low budget then I would have recommended to get a ati gc but as you are high on budget then you can probably get a nvdia gtx5XX.
Languages I know : C , C++ & Java
Boy : There is something wrong with my phone.
Girl : What ?
Boy: It don't have your Phone Number.
Halvhjearne

Post by Halvhjearne »

@irfanthb7 .. ati sucks, and there drivers are s*** on linux ... i will never pay money for an ati card again!!

i ended up ordering this one ..:
http://www.evga.com/articles/00618/

(the "super clocked" one ... it was a bit cheaper so im hopeing it dosnt dissapoint me :lol: )
Now i use linux allowing me to conrol the "lasers" on my "death star" with ease.
irfanhb7

Post by irfanhb7 »

If you are on linux then how are you gonna play games like gta4 , blur , assassins creed etc?
m0skit0
Guru

Post by m0skit0 »

irfanhb7 wrote:If you are on linux then how are you gonna play games like gta4 , blur , assassins creed etc?
Wine or virtual machines.

Anyway there are no games currently that actually use the power of latest graphic cards. This is due to the fact that consoles are slowing down graphics on new games.
I wanna lots of mov al,0xb
"just not into this RA stuffz"
irfanhb7

Post by irfanhb7 »

I haven't seen any game that have more than 256mb gc memory recommended.
But if we use wine then is it possible that most of the new game won't work with it ?
I will be buying a laptop(not a pc) , can anyone tell me if their is any company that makes better laptop then dell ?(i have a rs. 60000 budget)
Halvhjearne

Post by Halvhjearne »

irfanhb7 wrote:I haven't seen any game that have more than 256mb gc memory recommended.
well gta4 (as you just mentioned) can use a lot more than that ...
irfanhb7 wrote:But if we use wine then is it possible that most of the new game won't work with it ?
ofcourse you wont be able to run new windows games on linux ... at least not straight "out of the box"
irfanhb7 wrote: I will be buying a laptop(not a pc) , can anyone tell me if their is any company that makes better laptop then dell ?(i have a rs. 60000 budget)
first of all, why dont you convert to a currency that ppl can relate to, like dollars or euros?
not everyone know what "rs." or India Rupees are worth .... but most ppl know what a dollar or euro's are ;)

what are you expecting of a laptop in that price range?
i would allways prefer a desktop from a laptop (and never a dell), as im of the oppinion that the term "gamer laptop" is wrong ... imo theres no such thing, theres high end laptop tho, but none will ever compare to a desktops performance and playing games on it for long periods of time, will kill it eventually ...
ponso21

Post by ponso21 »

The difference on the brands is just how it differs from the reference graphics card. This could be factory overclocked, better fan and some other things though technically there are no differences between them.

I believe it's better to get the normal and just overclock it yourself to the intended factory overclocked setting to save some $$. I recommend EVGA usually for Nvidia GPUs although I prefer Zotac, MSI and Gigabyte.

The only thing thats holding me back from Nvidia nowadays is mining Bitcoins. I have a really good experience in both brands so I guess it's a user's preference IMHO. Driver support wise I would go Nvidia though.

Return to “Games/Applications”