Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

How powerful is the ps vita?(emulation wise)

HENkaku is a native Homebrew Enabler for the PS Vita and PS TV. It lets you run homebrews on the PS Vita
jms209

How powerful is the ps vita?(emulation wise)

Post by jms209 »

It looks to be able to run PSP and PS1 games fine.
It can't run anything like Gamecube/PS2 onwards.

After developers learn a little more about it, can we see N64 and Sega Dream-cast emulators?
Maybe a DS emulator aswell.

So does the Vita have decent enough specs to run any of these at full speed, after some work?

Also is RetroArch going support more emualtors?
It also looks like RetroArch is still not in VPK format, so is not usable on HENkaku yet.
Advertising
fate6
Big Beholder

Re: How powerful is the ps vita?(emulation wise)

Post by fate6 »

Take a look at what a high end smart phone can do, That.
Advertising
anon wrote:If you can't trust a 600 year old vampire in a prepubescent girl's body, who can you trust?
jms209

Post by jms209 »

fate6 wrote:Take a look at what a high end smart phone can do, That.
The only problem right now is optimization.
Even MGBA is slow on vita, guessing once they figure things out. we will get away better performance.
Also helps VItas resolution is 960x540 and not 1080p or QHD.
snk4ever

Post by snk4ever »

It is much less powerful than a current high-end smartphone.
The Vita uses ARM Cortex-A9 cores at max 444 MHz. The cortex A9 was used in the Samsung Galaxy S2 at 1.2 GHz (almost 3 times the clock).

PSP and PS1 work well because Sony did wonders in their own emulators. They must have some really skilled engineers.

You can expect everything the PSP has with better speed/compatibility. I think N64 is possible but won't run too well.
I don't believe in proper Dreamcast or Saturn either. No chance of seeing anything harder to emulate like GC or PS2.

DS could be possible only if Exophase does it (the guy who did gpSP and the glorious DS emulator on Pandora and Android), and I doubt he will.
humbertosnk

Post by humbertosnk »

The main issue is the homebrews do not use the full potencial of the Vita, they uses only 1 core and ~25 MG ram when the machine have 4 cores, 128 MG video ram and 512 MG system ram.
eighthdayregret

Post by eighthdayregret »

snk4ever wrote:It is much less powerful than a current high-end smartphone.
The Vita uses ARM Cortex-A9 cores at max 444 MHz. The cortex A9 was used in the Samsung Galaxy S2 at 1.2 GHz (almost 3 times the clock).

PSP and PS1 work well because Sony did wonders in their own emulators. They must have some really skilled engineers.

You can expect everything the PSP has with better speed/compatibility. I think N64 is possible but won't run too well.
I don't believe in proper Dreamcast or Saturn either. No chance of seeing anything harder to emulate like GC or PS2.

DS could be possible only if Exophase does it (the guy who did gpSP and the glorious DS emulator on Pandora and Android), and I doubt he will.
Where are you getting 444 mhz? The Vita's CPU is capable of 2 ghz.
Vita WiFi/3G - 8GB - 32GB - OFW 3.36 - PS+
GoW PSP-2000 - 2GB - 8GB - 2x16GB - 2x16GB - 6.61 ME-2.3
maxivo

Post by maxivo »

eighthdayregret wrote:
snk4ever wrote:It is much less powerful than a current high-end smartphone.

Where are you getting 444 mhz? The Vita's CPU is capable of 2 ghz.
Vitas GPU is even more powerfull then thease fake specs !!!
Ronobono

Post by Ronobono »

Wouldnt the vita be running quad core while the Galaxy 2 was dual core?
TehAce

Post by TehAce »

The vita has the same power as the Ipad 2 if I recall. They both have the same chip called PowerVR or something like.
eighthdayregret

Post by eighthdayregret »

TehAce wrote:The vita has the same power as the Ipad 2 if I recall. They both have the same chip called PowerVR or something like.
Nope. ARM Cortex-A9 MPCore. Marvell Avastar 88W8787, to be specific.
maxivo wrote:Vitas GPU is even more powerfull then thease fake specs !!!
Fake specs?
Vita WiFi/3G - 8GB - 32GB - OFW 3.36 - PS+
GoW PSP-2000 - 2GB - 8GB - 2x16GB - 2x16GB - 6.61 ME-2.3

Return to “HENkaku”