Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

C c++ c# java i need info

Programming on your favorite platform, for your favorite platform? Post here
m0skit0
Guru

Re: C c++ c# java i need info

Post by m0skit0 »

Well Xian Nox made the points. Just one more thing: C++ (and C) is WAY harder to code properly with than Java.
  • Manual memory management vs garbage collector
  • Pointers vs references
  • No security vs security (class loaders, etc..)
  • No native threads support vs native threads
  • No architecture abstraction vs WORA
We're talking about 1983 vs 1995. And yes, of course C/C++ is faster, but this comes with a price: portability.
Advertising
I wanna lots of mov al,0xb
"just not into this RA stuffz"
hgoel0974
Retired Mod

Post by hgoel0974 »

m0skit0 wrote:Well Xian Nox made the points. Just one more thing: C++ (and C) is WAY harder to code properly with than Java.
  • Manual memory management vs garbage collector
  • Pointers vs references
  • No security vs security (class loaders, etc..)
  • No native threads support vs native threads
  • No architecture abstraction vs WORA
We're talking about 1983 vs 1995. And yes, of course C/C++ is faster, but this comes with a price: portability.
I agree but there are some 'solutions' to some of these, I remember finding a library which could take care of memory management, well actually I know nothing about anything else you listed :P
But personally even though I haven't noticed gigantic differences between C and C++ for some reason C feels more comfortable

I guess the best way to take it would be based on what you need, these days the overhead of a vm ish language is negligible, I don't know about java but there are math libraries for C# that are as fast as native C++ libraries.
Advertising
"If the truth is a cruel mistress, then a lie must be a nice girl"
StaticCodex

Post by StaticCodex »

m0skit0 wrote:Well Xian Nox made the points. Just one more thing: C++ (and C) is WAY harder to code properly with than Java.
Kind of missed my whole point here. Hard work is justified always. Learning it the hard way makes many other things easier as its more practical. Sometimes one must learn the old fashioned way before they learn the shortcuts like in mathematics, no? (When i say old-fashioned dont take it literal)
Xian Nox wrote:Uh huh. Then let me just say one thing: neither Java, nor any other interpreted language saves you from writing bad or unoptimized code.
We're kind of jumping the gun. You cant expect a beginner coder to know proper coding ethics such as bad coding structure or unoptimized code.
Xian Nox wrote:Minecraft will run on a potato if you get the tweaks.
Not quite the argument because minecraft is a commercial and very successful game. Of course there will always be tweaks required but even at the commercial level such tweaking, and optimized code can be only practically imaginable.

Thats pointing out the IF possibilities which really isnt the case to diminish the obvious fact that everything in coding needs to be tweaked like mincraft itself.
Instagram
2.02 TN-V / 1.67 ARK PS Vita | XBMC 150GB XBOX1 | FreeMCBoot PS2 | 6.60 PSPGO 32GB | R4 16gb NDSL
hgoel0974
Retired Mod

Post by hgoel0974 »

@Acid, here is something that says otherwise to Java being slow, realtime raytracing + photon mapping ;)

http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~phlosoft/photon/
"If the truth is a cruel mistress, then a lie must be a nice girl"
m0skit0
Guru

Post by m0skit0 »

@StaticCodex I think you missed your answer. That wasn't an answer to your post ;)
I wanna lots of mov al,0xb
"just not into this RA stuffz"

Return to “Programming”