Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Kernel Exploit Hen Question

Forum rules
Forum rule Nº 15 is strictly enforced in this subforum.
thecobra
HBL Collaborator

Kernel Exploit Hen Question

Post by thecobra »

Hi Everyone,

I want to ask a quick question. Let say for argument sake that I found a kernel exploit and i wanted to make a HEN out of it for 6.60. What source code or what information should i look at? It just a quick question i asking to know what i should do after I find an exploit which may take a while but i like to know what i should do after that.

Thank you.
Advertising
Cheap & Fast VPS Server from DigitalOcean
PSVita 3.xx eCFW <Thank to wololo Community>
PSVita 1.67 vHBL Dead :(
PSP FAT 6.60 - CFW pro
jigsaw

Re: Kernel Exploit Hen Question

Post by jigsaw »

thecobra wrote:Hi Everyone,

I want to ask a quick question. Let say for argument sake that I found a kernel exploit and i wanted to make a HEN out of it for 6.60. What source code or what information should i look at? It just a quick question i asking to know what i should do after I find an exploit which may take a while but i like to know what i should do after that.

Thank you.
Make a PoC first, once u find it. The PoC is as simple as reading from 0x88000000.
Then port it to procfw. That's all.
Advertising
Coldbird
Guru

Post by Coldbird »

jigsaw wrote:

Thank you.
Make a PoC first, once u find it. The PoC is as simple as reading from 0x88000000.
+1. The first step is always dumping the kernel range memory.
For that you can check into procfw too, as there is a kernel dumper example code for kxploit creation in it that is enabled if you build with the DEBUG=1 flag.
Usually, dumping the kernel memory works like this... you create a kernel callback from your kxploit which gets executed in a kernel context, this piece of code clones the kernel memory range into the p2 user partition... and upon returning to user context, you dump the now p2 located kernel clone to a file via the sceIo functions.
PSP N-1000 ✔ / 6.20 PRO NIGHTLY ✔ / PRO ONLINE ✔
thecobra
HBL Collaborator

Post by thecobra »

Coldbird wrote:
jigsaw wrote:

Thank you.
+1. The first step is always dumping the kernel range memory.
For that you can check into procfw too, as there is a kernel dumper example code for kxploit creation in it that is enabled if you build with the DEBUG=1 flag.
Usually, dumping the kernel memory works like this... you create a kernel callback from your kxploit which gets executed in a kernel context, this piece of code clones the kernel memory range into the p2 user partition... and upon returning to user context, you dump the now p2 located kernel clone to a file via the sceIo functions.
Thanks but i can't find the kernel dump in the Google procfw source code. I looking at the code and i see how he/she launches the installer and all of that but i can't find the simple dumper. :(
PSP FAT 6.60 - CFW pro
thecobra
HBL Collaborator

Post by thecobra »

I found this in the vHBL codes:

Code: Select all

// Dumps kmem
void get_kmem_dump()
{
	SceUID dump_fd;

dump_fd = sceIoOpen(KDUMP_PATH, PSP_O_CREAT | PSP_O_WRONLY, 0777);

if (dump_fd >= 0)
	{
		sceIoWrite(dump_fd, (void*) 0x08000000, (unsigned int)0x400000);
		sceIoClose(dump_fd);
	}
}
Is this what you guys referring to dumping the kernel memory?
PSP FAT 6.60 - CFW pro
jigsaw

Post by jigsaw »

It doesn't have to be that "complicated".
As simple as:

printf("%08x\n", *(u32 *) 0x88000000);
You should be able to call the code directly in the kernel callback. Otherwise the PoC fails.
thecobra
HBL Collaborator

Post by thecobra »

jigsaw wrote:It doesn't have to be that "complicated".
As simple as:

You should be able to call the code directly in the kernel callback. Otherwise the PoC fails.
oh, the think is i did not want/can't yet print anything to the screen. I wanted to use the sceio function to write to a file and save it. I doing this in asm code Based of the Bin Loader. I got k1 = 0 which is good but right now trying to write to the memory stick fails it seems because it seem it was writing to it but when i open up the file there nothing there. Maybe sceioclose Fail? :(
PSP FAT 6.60 - CFW pro
jigsaw

Post by jigsaw »

thecobra wrote:
jigsaw wrote:It doesn't have to be that "complicated".
As simple as:

oh, the think is i did not want/can't yet print anything to the screen. I wanted to use the sceio function to write to a file and save it. I doing this in asm code Based of the Bin Loader. I got k1 = 0 which is good but right now trying to write to the memory stick fails it seems because it seem it was writing to it but when i open up the file there nothing there. Maybe sceioclose Fail? :(
This is not usual - can't print to screen.
But there's another option.

u32 kmem = -1U; // a global var

// in kernel callback
kmem = *(u32 *) 0x88000000;

// after return from syscall
printf("kmem=%08x\n", kmem); // should be sth. other than 0xffffffff

FrEdDy
HBL Collaborator

Post by FrEdDy »

Another way, is writing to a kernel address and looking there with psplink, which is even easier.

int kmode(void)
{
	_sw(0x12345678, 0x88000000);
	__asm__("break");
	return 0;
}
Of course, you need to be able to write to kernel memory first, not just a readonly exploit
https://github.com/freddy-156
<@n00b81> FREDDY CUTTIES
thecobra
HBL Collaborator

Post by thecobra »

OK Thanks guys. That help me verify i don't have kernel Access yet :(
PSP FAT 6.60 - CFW pro

Return to “Programming and Security”