Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

PS Vita battery mod WIFI ONLY (detailed)

Post here your guides, tips, how-to, etc...
CPUzX

Re: PS Vita battery mod WIFI ONLY (detailed)

Post by CPUzX »

John5p wrote:
CPUzX wrote:
John5p wrote:Is there enough room in the vita to fit a 2200 mah battery? (Purchased from the Official PSP Extended Life Battery Kit)?
It has to be a Sony genuine slim battery. The fakes I got were metal blocks. The genuine battery has these flaps on the edges which can slot it into place and take up less space. I couldn't fit the fake battery in mine, I could with the genuine battery, so as long as it is a genuine slim battery, you can definitely fit it.

If that battery is just a block, it might not fit.

I don't have the courage to try it out myself and I don't even have the tools. I was thinking of actually paying someone for soldering service. A quick google search lead me to this company called creatron inc. located in downtown Toronto...

I'm just wondering if it is okay to pay someone for soldering service and do you think they'll even help me disassemble the ps vita?
It's pretty simple. You can't mess up or damage anything unless you're careful and steady. The main thing you got to watch out for is the touchpad ribbon cable and the battery cable that are attached to the other side of the vita.

If you want just any random company/individual to do this for you, you'll have to tell them what to do; or show them this guide, but is it worth paying £30+ for someone to do this simple mod.
Though the battery im referring to is genuine and its 2200 mah - it was sold seperately as an accessory at one point. The issue is whether it will fit. Do you have any idea if it would be too big to fit in the vita?

That would appear to be a phat battery. Can you fit the plastic plate over it and snap it into place?
I have a feeling the phat battery will be slightly bigger than the slim one even when dissembled, but if you want to find out, you can open the battery yourself if you think it's worth doing; though you can't close it again afterwards.
You can always 'try' fitting it into the vita, it wouldn't break anything if you did.
Advertising
zakaiya

Post by zakaiya »

The phat battery is too long it cannot fit i have confirmed this.
Advertising
zakaiya

Post by zakaiya »

After a few days of this battery mod i can regretfully say that my wifi reception was cut in half so i basically got nothing. I also had lights installed so it was a very tight fit. Ny sound on the right side wasnt working because the prongs from the speakers werent making contact to the board from the battery pushing against the frame. so iremoved the slim battery and everything went back to normal. I really wish it wouldve worked with my slim battery. When i get another vita ill wire it up with this mod. Thanks a lot for creating this mod,the increased battery life was AMAZING.
zakaiya

Post by zakaiya »

What i have decieded to do now is i took apart the bottom cover for the psvita battery exposing the lil board with the red/white/black wiring. I soldered two wires unto the negative and positive points and THEN i added the psp battery. Ill let ya know how thinga turn out in a week or so!
zakaiya

Post by zakaiya »

Also if youre afraid of soldering you can always a good quality wire glue off amazon, i intend on buying a few of them.
CPUzX

Post by CPUzX »

zakaiya wrote:After a few days of this battery mod i can regretfully say that my wifi reception was cut in half so i basically got nothing. I also had lights installed so it was a very tight fit. Ny sound on the right side wasnt working because the prongs from the speakers werent making contact to the board from the battery pushing against the frame. so iremoved the slim battery and everything went back to normal. I really wish it wouldve worked with my slim battery. When i get another vita ill wire it
zakaiya wrote:What i have decieded to do now is i took apart the bottom cover for the psvita battery exposing the lil board with the red/white/black wiring. I soldered two wires unto the negative and positive points and THEN i added the psp battery. Ill let ya know how thinga turn out in a week or so!
up with this mod. Tha
zakaiya wrote:Also if youre afraid of soldering you can always a good quality wire glue off amazon, i intend on buying a few of them.
nks a lot for creating this mod,the increased battery life was AMAZING.
great advice.
zakaiya

Post by zakaiya »

Wow this extra battery life is awesome!! It is working quite well no issues whatsoever
hybridworm

Post by hybridworm »

Im interested, does anyone have a VITA wifi VS vita 3G tear down comparison? im guessing the space here in the 3g is used by some sort of daughter board, but still interesting to look at
Gadorach

Post by Gadorach »

Just for reference, the main PS Vita battery is 80mm long x 45mm wide x 6mm thick at 3.7v and 2200mAh. If we can find a higher capacity battery that shares those traits, we could directly replace the module. The second battery, from an estimate based on the Slim PSP battery's size, can be up to 50mm long x 35mm wide x 6mm thick at 3.7v. I've done some research on the main battery but haven't found a source for a larger capacity battery that fits those dimensions. I figure we can get away with an extra millimeter on the length and width, but not the thickness, as that would likely degrade the WiFi signal by lowering the contact surface of the antennas' contacts to the mainboard. I'd recommend high-power type Li-Po batteries honestly though, so that's a good place to start, as they can handle the increased draw from the console when it's under heavy load. Plus, they can probably handle LED mods quite a bit better.

On another note, a conjoined battery (single cell) could likely be up to 115mm long x 35mm wide (to account for the shift in case opening on either side between the two compartments) and, as before, 6mm thick at 3.7v.

- Gadorach
PSVita - 1.81+MBA | 1.81+MBA (MiniUSB Modded)
PSP - 1001 Fat (6.60-ME1.8)
Xbox 360 - Trinity RGH Tri-NAND (Dev|Xe|Retail) | Xenon JTAG (Xe) | Falcon RGH1 (Xe)
PS3 - CECH-2101A (CFW 4.60)

Projects - None ATM
decookaaron

Post by decookaaron »

Radphil wrote:Just curious, but since you detailed this out on the WiFi model, do you think it would be possible to do this on a 3G one with a few tweaks, or is it a case of different voltage because of the different models?
No it wouldn't be much different, except the spot where the secondary battery goes is occupied by the 3G module. Both batteries and voltage in/output is the same.
I have 4 PSVs diff regions, 4 PS3s diff models+2 dead ones, 1 Xbox360+5 dead ones, 4 xboxs diff models+2 dead ones, 4 ps2s diff models, and had 18 psps diff models and regions. All modded except the PSVs. I'm a console collector and repair man. :)

Return to “Tutorials”