Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

PS Vita battery mod WIFI ONLY (detailed)

Post here your guides, tips, how-to, etc...
User avatar
CPUzX
Moderator
Posts: 276
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:25 pm
Location: United Kingdom

PS Vita battery mod WIFI ONLY (detailed)

Post by CPUzX » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:09 am

This is my way of doing a PS Vita secondary battery install.
What you will need:-

-Philips PH00 screwdriver
-Electrical tape
-Soldering iron & solder
-Decent wire (not too big, not too small) I haven't specified a gauge.
-A spare (genuine) PSP battery (or equivalent in size & voltage) 3.6 or 3.7.
-Pliers
-PS Vita wifi console

First up, don't use anything with or without a voltage below/above 3.6 or 3.7. I recommend a Li-ion battery; as they are more reliable and less likely to explode upon an unfortunate discovery.
(Using anything above 3.7 will result in the primary PSV battery discharging a small portion of its electrons into the secondary battery, in the transfer it will be wasted).

I had been very unlucky upon the short discovery of my 3600mah PSP batteries from eBay that had turned out to be fakes. They lasted about as long as the genuine Sony PSP battery's, but didn't give a low-charge warning due to the false readings on the PCB IC on the battery circuit. 7.53 hours; fooled. Do not purchase them, it was a waste of £10.

Onto the mod.
First up of course, open your PS Vita with the PH00 screwdriver http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/PlayStat ... rdown/7872

Once you've got it open and with the battery taken out, go ahead and strip a short line of the black and red wires. (make sure they don't touch together)
You don't need to touch the white wire at all.
Image


Now open your PSP battery (if you want to use one)
A sharp knife will do just fine, even a kitchen knife. (be careful not to pierce the battery)

Image

As you can see, my battery has already been taken out, and in the picture was left only with the battery PCB.
What you need to do is desolder the PSP battery's positive and negative wires; leaving the bare battery left.

From here on, solder some short length wire onto the PSP battery's + and - pads.
Then twist the PSP battery's + and - onto the PS Vita's + and - silver stripped patches on the vita battery.

Image

I put a small lining of electrical tape over it, but don't put too much on it. You want it to fit in the vita's touch pad case.

Now onto the vita's back case.
You'll need to grab your pliers and carefully twist and snap a majority of the plastic grooves off of the case. (don't worry, that's where the 3G module is supposed to be, it won't harm the case or touchpad)

Image

Once everything is set, once you've soldered soldered everything, put a generous amount of electrical tape over each contact you worked on, this is very important.

When you're comfortable with what appears to be a secure placeholder position for your battery, place it in; though keep in mind - you may have to use force.

I'll use decookaaron's picture as it's clearer-

Image

Once it's inserted into a spaceholder on the vita and you're sure everything is secure & safe to go, you can then go and put everything back together (carefully) and make sure it all works as intended.

I've provided an image of the left and right trigger holder plastic parts, as I got confused and sat there for 5 minutes trying to work out which one went into which slot, so if you get confused the same as me, here is a clear set of pictures where the trigger place-holders are supposed to be:
Image

(LEFT)

Image

(RIGHT)


Here is another mod I placed into my vita last night in the same way I fitted the PSP battery

Image

from the female composite port was a red and black wire. I just soldered them to the parallel ports on the PS vita's + and - too.
With this port, I can hook up an 'external' battery pack which can be used as an "emergency" battery. I've tested it, and it can either charge the vita's batteries very slowly while off, or you can instantly connect it and power the vita with it.

The battery I used was x2 18650 batteries connected together parallel equaling: 3.7v and 5600mah (so it claims on the website I bought them off)

Image

I taped the two batteries together and connected a male composite connector for the female one which is connected to the vita's batteries.





Yet another mod I have here is one of the simplest yet.
This tiny little modification allows you to charge your PS Vita in any universal USB port; including portable power banks. - 500ma, 1000ma, 1500ma, 2000ma. Of course, charging your PSV at a 500ma USB port will take hours and hours to charge, providing you aren't using it at the same time as you charge it.

First up:- PISEN USB for PS Vita
An already made industry-line product that is done for you, and cheap. Problem is: shipping time. (commonly Hong Kong).

Image

Second, a homemade modification. With a USB extender-

Image

What you need to do is bridge the middle pins together. On a USB there are 4 pins, dab a bit of solder between the two - (white and green) or just short the white and green wires together.

Image

Then solder the black and red -/+ back to the male USB connector and you're done. Test it out.

Here is another picture:

Image

On a USB, black and red serve as power, the white and green serve as data - data for smart devices, they incorporate into the host (computer) whereas a dumb device generally only requires power.

The PS Vita genuine Sony charger has D+ and D- shorted beforehand. When connecting the PSV USB cable to a computer, it acts as a smart device and talks to the pins D+ and D-
Shorting D+ and D- acts as a different signal to the hosts, it changes the device from smart, to dumb. (power only)
thus, letting you charge the PS Vita from ANY usb device with a minimum output of 500ma, and maximum 2.1ma.



There we go, I hope this will be of use to anyone, and I apologize for my noobish skill in organizing this thread.
Advertising
Last edited by CPUzX on Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
wizard
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:49 am

Re: PS Vita battery mod WIFI ONLY (detailed)

Post by wizard » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:53 am

Is there any over heating issue when playing or charging the vita?
Advertising
1k White Vita 3.65 - Black Vita 3.60/3G PSVSD
2k JP Blue&Black Vita 3.60
PS TV 3.60 - PS TV up to date
PS3 slim up to date
PS4 1.75 - PS4 up to date

User avatar
CPUzX
Moderator
Posts: 276
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:25 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: PS Vita battery mod WIFI ONLY (detailed)

Post by CPUzX » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:53 pm

wizard wrote:Is there any over heating issue when playing or charging the vita?
So far I've had no concerns or issues of detecting overheating with both the secondary battery & the external. Using powerhungry games will only raise the CPU frequency and heat the device a little, but that's nothing to do with the batteries. Batteries will always raise a little in temperature after hours of intensive use. Make sure you use a battery you can rely on and not a cheap Chinese knockoff.

Radphil
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:23 pm

Re: PS Vita battery mod WIFI ONLY (detailed)

Post by Radphil » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:30 am

Just curious, but since you detailed this out on the WiFi model, do you think it would be possible to do this on a 3G one with a few tweaks, or is it a case of different voltage because of the different models?

User avatar
Infam0us
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:18 pm
Location: New York

Re: PS Vita battery mod WIFI ONLY (detailed)

Post by Infam0us » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:26 am

Very cool mod, would try this but i don't trust myself to open up the vita. Awesome job CPUzX :)
Playstation Vita 1000 / OFW 3.01 (Currently awaiting the release of TN-4 Exploit)
Xbox 360 (Halo 3 Edition) RROD :(

tristanupshaw
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:59 pm

Re: PS Vita battery mod WIFI ONLY (detailed)

Post by tristanupshaw » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:32 am

Radphil wrote:Just curious, but since you detailed this out on the WiFi model, do you think it would be possible to do this on a 3G one with a few tweaks, or is it a case of different voltage because of the different models?
I don't think there would be enough space in the 3G version for the extra battery space. From what I understand, this mod is putting more battery in the space where the 3G module would've been placed, but wasn't because it was Wi-Fi only version.

User avatar
CPUzX
Moderator
Posts: 276
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:25 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: PS Vita battery mod WIFI ONLY (detailed)

Post by CPUzX » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:44 am

tristanupshaw wrote:
Radphil wrote:Just curious, but since you detailed this out on the WiFi model, do you think it would be possible to do this on a 3G one with a few tweaks, or is it a case of different voltage because of the different models?
I don't think there would be enough space in the 3G version for the extra battery space. From what I understand, this mod is putting more battery in the space where the 3G module would've been placed, but wasn't because it was Wi-Fi only version.
Tristan is right. The voltage is the exact same on both PS Vita models. Only issue is the huge 3G module that takes up an extra 40% of space than the PSP battery alone. Unless you take out and discard the 3G module, you won't have the required space to add any sort of secondary battery. Since you can't really do the secondary battery install, I recommend you do the external battery mod. (wiring is the same as the secondary battery. you can use any connector. Not just a composite plug. For the external battery, it can go as far as 5 volts.

Infam0us wrote:Very cool mod, would try this but i don't trust myself to open up the vita. Awesome job CPUzX :)
Thank you Infam0us. Quite a useful modification for all that empty space in the back of the case.

Radphil
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:23 pm

Re: PS Vita battery mod WIFI ONLY (detailed)

Post by Radphil » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:24 am

CPUzX wrote:
tristanupshaw wrote:
Radphil wrote:Just curious, but since you detailed this out on the WiFi model, do you think it would be possible to do this on a 3G one with a few tweaks, or is it a case of different voltage because of the different models?
I don't think there would be enough space in the 3G version for the extra battery space. From what I understand, this mod is putting more battery in the space where the 3G module would've been placed, but wasn't because it was Wi-Fi only version.
Tristan is right. The voltage is the exact same on both PS Vita models. Only issue is the huge 3G module that takes up an extra 40% of space than the PSP battery alone. Unless you take out and discard the 3G module, you won't have the required space to add any sort of secondary battery. Since you can't really do the secondary battery install, I recommend you do the external battery mod. (wiring is the same as the secondary battery. you can use any connector. Not just a composite plug. For the external battery, it can go as far as 5 volts.
Gotcha. Thanks for the input on that. I'm debating on removing the 3G module since I haven't used it since i got the system, but i didn't know of the external mod.

User avatar
iceeyes
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:02 am

Re: PS Vita battery mod WIFI ONLY (detailed)

Post by iceeyes » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:01 pm

Very nice tutorial.
Did not know the Wifi Version Vita had so much unused space left to tweak it up.
Adding about 1000mah battery would give quite some extra play time.
Guess I have to overthink it and maybe too put an extra battery inside it if I feel up to the challenge :D .

User avatar
CPUzX
Moderator
Posts: 276
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:25 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: PS Vita battery mod WIFI ONLY (detailed)

Post by CPUzX » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:45 am

iceeyes wrote:Very nice tutorial.
Did not know the Wifi Version Vita had so much unused space left to tweak it up.
Adding about 1000mah battery would give quite some extra play time.
Guess I have to overthink it and maybe too put an extra battery inside it if I feel up to the challenge :D .
Aha, yeah!
Thanks. Definitely worth considering. It'll be worth it entirely; though even if it looks like a lot of space, you're still limited to that tiny box once you've cut the plastic down. Only enough space to fit a miniature battery in there, 'cause the PSP battery barely fits even.

Post Reply

Return to “Tutorials”