Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

amazing water graphics!

News and rumors about the PS4
shadyblue9o9

amazing water graphics!

Post by shadyblue9o9 »

i hope they have this kind of water in the next gen consoles!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WZZARzpckw
Advertising
SMOKE
Retired Mod

Re: amazing water graphics!

Post by SMOKE »

Thats nice!
Advertising
ove_p

Post by ove_p »

very realistic
tinostar91

Post by tinostar91 »

Although it definetly looks amazing I highly doubt that you will see water like that in games anytime soon, at least not in the next-gen consoles. That water is based on millions of particles which require an extremely huge processing power to calculate all of their collisions and how they should act. Watching that video I've noticed some slowdowns/lags, for something like a pool you will need much more water than they used and keep in mind fact that they have much more powerful and expensive hardware than is in the next-gen consoles.
When water effects became obsolete for a regular player? I mean, why do you need 100% proper water physics only to look at how realistic does it look like? If it's not a vital part of game then it's almost useless.
DR460N

Post by DR460N »

Yes That vid looks pretty cool.

The water in AC Black Flag looks pretty sick in my opinion on the PS4. It was a joy to play.
shadyblue9o9

Post by shadyblue9o9 »

i feel as though having accurate water physics for a game like Assassines creed IV black flag would be necessary. You want to feel as though the boat is floating on water, IE moves up and down with the waves, reacts accordingly to water on impact or when it hits another boat, and if the cannon ball hits the water... make a realistic splash...
christian4423

Post by christian4423 »

Yeah that is nice. Check out real flow in 3ds max.

What that requires is thousands or millions of particles.
having that in a game in real time would defeat the purpose of optimization(making a game run at its best).
What they do now is make the water a collision object and when the player or asset collides, the water spawns more particles.

They use that to simulate water. If you are a college student you can play around with 3ds max for free at autodesk.com
Blender, a free software also has a very nice water simulator as well. Andrew Price has also done a very nice tutorial to show you how it works.
http://www.blenderguru.com/videos/creat ... imulation/

I am a college student with an associates degree in computer animation and pursuing game development as well.

Return to “News and Rumors”