Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Help with my PS3 controller misbehaving

Everything that is PS3-related but doesn't go in any other subforum
Johndill

Help with my PS3 controller misbehaving

Post by Johndill »

Hi, so, my PS3 controller is sending the signal that the right analog stick is being pushed up but it's not, I have de-soldered and replaced the analog stick but the y axis still things it's going up. can someone help my please?

here is a video of what's happening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYkydaIlhmo
Advertising
Last edited by Johndill on Thu May 15, 2014 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Acid_Snake
Retired Mod

Re: Help with my PS3 controller misbehaving

Post by Acid_Snake »

could be a broken bus, or pretty much anything
Advertising
Johndill

Post by Johndill »

Acid_Snake wrote:could be a broken bus, or pretty much anything
so not easily fixable?
jd20dog

Post by jd20dog »

Johndill wrote:
so not easily fixable?
this is usually the ps3 itself
witch ps3 do you have
if its a fat, open it and take out the Bluetooth board (in front of the power supply) and use some 90% rubbing alcohol to clean the contacts on the connection ribbon and the connections of the clips it clicks into, alcohol wont damage the electronics, just make sure they are dry before putting everything back together, if this doesn't help then you likely have a dieing Bluetooth board and you can get a new one on ebay for under $5usd

this is the only thing ive seen ever cause the drifting analog issues as it uses a known resistant values to calculate the analog sticks position and if its misreading the input or not reading one way or the other it will assume max or min position and cause the drifting effect your experiencing, same issue causes the psp analog stick drifting, the easy way to test on the psp is to squeeze between the analog nub and the screen and the back of the psp till it stops drifting
and eating thrifty maid noodles because of it......seriously!?! off brand noodles.....ouch i got burned by tech support.....ouch........
Johndill

Post by Johndill »

jd20dog wrote:
Johndill wrote:
so not easily fixable?
this is usually the ps3 itself
witch ps3 do you have
if its a fat, open it and take out the Bluetooth board (in front of the power supply) and use some 90% rubbing alcohol to clean the contacts on the connection ribbon and the connections of the clips it clicks into, alcohol wont damage the electronics, just make sure they are dry before putting everything back together, if this doesn't help then you likely have a dieing Bluetooth board and you can get a new one on ebay for under $5usd

this is the only thing I've seen ever cause the drifting analog issues as it uses a known resistant values to calculate the analog sticks position and if its misreading the input or not reading one way or the other it will assume max or min position and cause the drifting effect your experiencing, same issue causes the psp analog stick drifting, the easy way to test on the psp is to squeeze between the analog nub and the screen and the back of the psp till it stops drifting
Thanks for the reply, I have a phat CECHH02, but I bought the controller with this issue thinking it was just a broken analogue stick, also I have connected the controller to my pc via the usb cable using Xpadder and the up/down axis isn't working correctly there ether so it's obviously controller, any ideas?

================

Any help?
Last edited by qwikrazor87 on Tue May 13, 2014 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged double post.
Johndill

Post by Johndill »

here is a video of what's happening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYkydaIlhmo
Thrawn

Post by Thrawn »

Could be a broken or bad solder joint somewhere on the controllers pcb.

You could and I say could, disassemble the whole controller, till you only have the pcb of the controller, disconnect the battery too, remove all removable plastic parts (stick caps, button rubbers...).
Then put it (if you have) into an oven and bake it with about 210°C for about 10 - 12 mins, you oven should have the option for "3D hot air" or "Hot air up and down", don't microwave it, if you do that its dead, completely dead.
After this 10 - 12 mins take it out and give it a quarter hour to slowly cool down.
Then assemble it carefully, then test out, if it solved your problem then its good (keep in mind that this could occur again), if not then it probably is time to use this one as an organ donor for other controllers.
The internet is a bottomless barrel of sh*t, we try to fill it, everyday. But we fail, because its bottomless.
Johndill

Post by Johndill »

Thrawn wrote:Could be a broken or bad solder joint somewhere on the controllers pcb.

You could and I say could, disassemble the whole controller, till you only have the pcb of the controller, disconnect the battery too, remove all removable plastic parts (stick caps, button rubbers...).
Then put it (if you have) into an oven and bake it with about 210°C for about 10 - 12 mins, you oven should have the option for "3D hot air" or "Hot air up and down", don't microwave it, if you do that its dead, completely dead.
After this 10 - 12 mins take it out and give it a quarter hour to slowly cool down.
Then assemble it carefully, then test out, if it solved your problem then its good (keep in mind that this could occur again), if not then it probably is time to use this one as an organ donor for other controllers.
Could you go over it with a heat gun instead of the oven?
Thrawn

Post by Thrawn »

Sure you can, but I doubt you would get enough heat onto the parts and pcb itself, next problem is the heat distribution, some parts get to hot when the gun is pointed at them while others don't get hot at all.

But sure you can. There are tons of tons of videos on youtube with different methods.

My personal preference is the oven method, I saved myself a GeForce 8800 gtx and an old intel Celeron notebook, because the heat is constant and relatively equally distributed.
The oven does not get hot at once it takes time for it to actually get hot, while the heat gun is hot within a minute.

Applying heat with the heat gun bears also the risk of burning through or not heating up at all, to close it might get damaged, to far and it was in vain.

But your choice.
The internet is a bottomless barrel of sh*t, we try to fill it, everyday. But we fail, because its bottomless.
Johndill

Post by Johndill »

Thrawn wrote:Sure you can, but I doubt you would get enough heat onto the parts and pcb itself, next problem is the heat distribution, some parts get to hot when the gun is pointed at them while others don't get hot at all.

But sure you can. There are tons of tons of videos on youtube with different methods.

My personal preference is the oven method, I saved myself a GeForce 8800 gtx and an old intel Celeron notebook, because the heat is constant and relatively equally distributed.
The oven does not get hot at once it takes time for it to actually get hot, while the heat gun is hot within a minute.

Applying heat with the heat gun bears also the risk of burning through or not heating up at all, to close it might get damaged, to far and it was in vain.

But your choice.
Ok thanks for the reply, you wouldn't happen to know anything about psp FW would you? viewtopic.php?f=20&t=38345&p=348578#p348578

Return to “General”