Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Developing: How to get started?

Open discussions on programming specifically for the PS Vita.
Forum rules
Forum rule Nº 15 is strictly enforced in this subforum.
ownsideup

Developing: How to get started?

Post by ownsideup »

Hey!

I want to develop some software to the vita, but I can't even build to vita toolchain.

Can someone help?

Thanks,
ownsideup
Advertising
John Dupe

Re: Developing: How to get started?

Post by John Dupe »

I'm assuming you're on Windows. You'll need PSDK3v3 from github (just google it), and a good c/c++ book, or a ton of online tutorials.

As some tips for someone getting into c++, ALWAYS put a ; at the end of your lines. If you don't the weirdest errors appear, and it's tough trying to figure out what all the errors mean when you're just starting out.

Personally, I read C++ For Dummies and apparently (I have no experience) it's easier to learn Python, Lua, or Java first. But beware, Java can lead to Java style C++, which is frowned upon online.
Advertising
Stuff I've done:
libvita3d
CPUzX

Post by CPUzX »

John Dupe wrote:I'm assuming you're on Windows. You'll need PSDK3v3 from github (just google it), and a good c/c++ book, or a ton of online tutorials.

As some tips for someone getting into c++, ALWAYS put a ; at the end of your lines. If you don't the weirdest errors appear, and it's tough trying to figure out what all the errors mean when you're just starting out.

Personally, I read C++ For Dummies and apparently (I have no experience) it's easier to learn Python, Lua, or Java first. But beware, Java can lead to Java style C++, which is frowned upon online.
This is actually awesome that you mention Java style C++. I came across a guy in a post not long ago who was mentioning how it's best to learn PHP or Python first, (before C or C++), due to that exact same Java themed C coding style that makes things more confusing, or something. I think I'll stick to learning C for now, but thanks for the post, this is the first I've heard of " PSDK3v3" too. If it works on Windows, I won't need to make a seperate Ubuntu partition anymore. Learning C so far has been quite fun.
Stiffeno

Post by Stiffeno »

CPUzX wrote:Learning C so far has been quite fun.
Wait till you get to learning pointers heh :P
hgoel0974
Retired Mod

Post by hgoel0974 »

Stiffeno wrote:
Honestly, pointers aren't as hard as people make them out to be, it's just important to understand the concept of memory.
"If the truth is a cruel mistress, then a lie must be a nice girl"
CPUzX

Post by CPUzX »

Stiffeno wrote:
Think I might already be kinda familiar with the concept of pointers, in what I've come across using cheat engine, and also the concept behind developing a trainer in visual basic, but it's still limited knowledge at this point. Need to learn more of C to get to the pointer stage. Thanks for the heads up. lol

Return to “Programming and Security”