Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

How do I output power?

Forum rules
Forum rule Nº 15 is strictly enforced in this subforum.
bigman11

How do I output power?

Post by bigman11 »

I want to make a program that outputs power through the mini-usb slot. How would I get started on this? I'm completely new and I don't understand anything.
Advertising
Xian Nox
Retired Mod

Re: How do I output power?

Post by Xian Nox »

You cannot do this through the standard SDK. You'll have to reverse the mini-USB driver, and see if there is any way to change that, if any.
Advertising
noname120
Developer

Post by noname120 »

I'm completely new and I don't understand anything.
Then give up, it's not of your level.
Funny stuff
<yifanlu> I enjoy being loud and obnoxious
<yifanlu> rooting an android is like getting a hooker pregnant
<xerpi> I sometimes think I should leave all this stressing **** and be a farmer instead
bigman11

Post by bigman11 »

Can't I trick just the psp into thinking it is connected to the Go!Cam, somehow?

*Nevermind, it isn't possible. I think the power that the psp supplies comes from the little tabs next to the usb port, rather than the port itself.
noname120
Developer

Post by noname120 »

I don't own a PSP 300x but I think the tabs are only made to hold the accessory.

EDIT: I would be surprised if the PSP was to output 5.5 volts, it would drain the battery too much
Last edited by noname120 on Tue May 14, 2013 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Funny stuff
<yifanlu> I enjoy being loud and obnoxious
<yifanlu> rooting an android is like getting a hooker pregnant
<xerpi> I sometimes think I should leave all this stressing **** and be a farmer instead
JJS
Big Beholder

Post by JJS »

bigman11 wrote:*Nevermind, it isn't possible. I think the power that the psp supplies comes from the little tabs next to the usb port, rather than the port itself.
I am pretty sure this is correct.
SixSixSevenSeven

Post by SixSixSevenSeven »

I know this is from several months ago but thought I would come back with my research on the matter.

I took a mini USB cable and attached it to the PSP (its a phat), I then added a USB A socket to the other end of the cable (raw socket with 4 pins out of the back for soldering, not a socket on a laptop or whatever :P). This was the easiest way to probe the pins with a multimeter.
First test, 5V pin and ground in volt reading mode: 0v, ohmeter mode: infinite resistance, or in laymans terms there is no circuit between the 2. The same experiment with a microUSB on my phone gave 4.76V (I did not attempt ohms, you should not on a device currently turned on, 4.76 is also outside of USB spec but its something at least). I do not believe the 5v pin is connected to anything, unless the pin is somehow disabled when no device is present.
I then attempted the 2 metal tabs below the charging port. 0v, infinite resistance, I'm not convinced they are connected to anything.
The 2 circular holes, again, nothing (expected)
But there are 2 tiny holes either side of the mini USB with a copper contact in each. 0.02V, remove the battery and there was a resistance (but I couldnt get an accurate reading on it with my meter). I have forgotten which way around they were but one pin was a shared ground with the ground within the miniUSB. 0.02V is the kind of output I expect from a linear regulator under no current load, add an actual load and the voltage should rise to something usable. I sadly did not have time to investigate this further.

Another line of inquest. There is a VCC pin on the small slot adjacent to the audio jack which was used for remotes (actually there is a full serial port in there too). However it is only 2.5V (as is the serial line level). http://mc.pp.se/psp/phones.xhtml

I feel that one would have little luck in powering an external device from the PSP.
kmanev07

Post by kmanev07 »

Hello :P
you cant make the PSP outputing power trough the usb BUT i am sure you have seen the wholes that are next to theusb (2 yellow holes, inside they have copper planks)...

well you can use these 2 holes :P this is the place where the usb camera gets power from ! and i am 100000% sure bcs in the past i tried making my own usb cam :D btw i am not sure if you can control that trough the USB but if you go to the menu and press the camera icon you will get power for 1 second and then it will say no camera is founf :p
SixSixSevenSeven

Post by SixSixSevenSeven »

kmanev07 wrote:Hello :P
you cant make the PSP outputing power trough the usb BUT i am sure you have seen the wholes that are next to theusb (2 yellow holes, inside they have copper planks)...

well you can use these 2 holes :P this is the place where the usb camera gets power from ! and i am 100000% sure bcs in the past i tried making my own usb cam :D btw i am not sure if you can control that trough the USB but if you go to the menu and press the camera icon you will get power for 1 second and then it will say no camera is founf :p
Those are the 2 holes which I got the 0.02V across which to me is the output I would expect from a linear regulator under no load conditions.

Return to “Programming and Security”