Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

[RELEASE] PicoDrive 1.92 - with SVP dynarec

Running old school games on your PSP? It's definitely possible
robson.santana

Re: [RELEASE] PicoDrive 1.92 - with SVP dynarec

Post by robson.santana »

bloodfalco wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:26 am Thanks bro for 1.92.3, I checked in your github page. :-)
Enjoy
Advertising
ANU815

Post by ANU815 »

Is 1.51b still the best version for Sega CD?
Advertising
AnotherLife

Post by AnotherLife »

ANU815 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:25 am Is 1.51b still the best version for Sega CD?
i think you should have both the new version and the 1.51b version as a fallback.
ANU815

Post by ANU815 »

Also, are 1.51b savestates compatible?
robson.santana

Post by robson.santana »

ANU815 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:30 am Also, are 1.51b savestates compatible?

It was reported that no, but I did not get to test

https://github.com/robson-alcantara/picodrive/issues/25
AnotherLife

Post by AnotherLife »

I tried Blackthorne and Mortal Kombat II 32X and they both run very slow, is this normal?
robson.santana

Post by robson.santana »

AnotherLife wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:51 pm I tried Blackthorne and Mortal Kombat II 32X and they both run very slow, is this normal?

Yes, the same problem that there was in Mega Drive Virtua Racing in the old versions, the lack of a recompiler. I am slowly resolving this.
flamming_python

Post by flamming_python »

robson.santana wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:48 pm
AnotherLife wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:51 pm I tried Blackthorne and Mortal Kombat II 32X and they both run very slow, is this normal?

Yes, the same problem that there was in Mega Drive Virtua Racing in the old versions, the lack of a recompiler. I am slowly resolving this.
You mean Virtual Racing for the Mega Drive now runs full speed?
Wow, that's awesome.

Keep up the good work you're doing on 32x emulation, it's a system that's within the PSP's capabilities to emulate at playable speeds, you know it, I know it. heck they came close to managing full-speed N64 emulation on this thing.

And I haven't tried Mega CD emulation on your versions yet but if there is slowdown, then I hope you can solve it - so that we can finally have a definitive version of PicoDrive.

I have a few feature requests, if I may. Nothing big:

a). Introduce a flag in the options to auto-load the last game played upon next start-up. Reason I'm asking for this, is that it will allow the creation of custom eboots for individual Mega Drive/Mega CD games, bypassing the main interface - which would be way cool.
Hey and BTW, Snes9xTYL has it ;)

b). If you can, have PicoDrive output to full-screen (instead of with those massive black borders) when connected by composite/component cables to the TV; in a similar way that PS1 games do. From what I heard the code for doing so is available for introduction into homebrew, and a few homebrews have implemented it successfully.
Although I haven't tried your versions of PicoDrive with TV output yet - maybe you've already implemented this?

c). Have different screen size options/settings for both the PSP screen and TV output. When I play on just the PSP I like to stretch the graphics to cover the entire PSP's screen; as the screen ain't all that big and I like to use what I can. However when I play on my projector there is no neccessity in streching the screen; I'd rather have the games in their original output ratio.. and it's a little annoying to have to go to the options menu and change the screen size manually, and then change it back.
Again, this is another feature that Snes9xTYL has.

Either way thanks a bunch for your efforts.
robson.santana

Post by robson.santana »

flamming_python wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:17 am
robson.santana wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:48 pm

flamming_python wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:17 am You mean Virtual Racing for the Mega Drive now runs full speed?
Wow, that's awesome.
Not at full speed all the time, but well playable
flamming_python wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:17 am Keep up the good work you're doing on 32x emulation, it's a system that's within the PSP's capabilities to emulate at playable speeds, you know it, I know it. heck they came close to managing full-speed N64 emulation on this thing.
Yes. My expectation is that some games run at decent speed and others do not. Depending on the use of SH2's 32x
flamming_python wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:17 am And I haven't tried Mega CD emulation on your versions yet but if there is slowdown, then I hope you can solve it - so that we can finally have a definitive version of PicoDrive.
The problem with the speed of the Sega CD is that when notaz that by making the Picodrive compatible with 32x, it switched its own memory manager through the memory manager of Genesis Plus GX, which is not an emulator created for portable devices (like Snes 9x). I believe that some optimization is possible, but it will require a lot of effort
flamming_python wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:17 am I have a few feature requests, if I may. Nothing big:

a). Introduce a flag in the options to auto-load the last game played upon next start-up. Reason I'm asking for this, is that it will allow the creation of custom eboots for individual Mega Drive/Mega CD games, bypassing the main interface - which would be way cool.
Hey and BTW, Snes9xTYL has it ;)
This is possible, this option already exists, in performance analysis mode (profile), please add this request in the github bugs page: https://github.com/robson-alcantara/picodrive/issues
flamming_python wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:17 am b). If you can, have PicoDrive output to full-screen (instead of with those massive black borders) when connected by composite/component cables to the TV; in a similar way that PS1 games do. From what I heard the code for doing so is available for introduction into homebrew, and a few homebrews have implemented it successfully.
Although I haven't tried your versions of PicoDrive with TV output yet - maybe you've already implemented this?
This is possible if you increase the screen scaling factors in conjunction with the Fusa plugin (one of the plugin options does not consume resources).
From what I heard, the other emulators also do this together with the Fusa
flamming_python wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:17 am c). Have different screen size options/settings for both the PSP screen and TV output. When I play on just the PSP I like to stretch the graphics to cover the entire PSP's screen; as the screen ain't all that big and I like to use what I can. However when I play on my projector there is no neccessity in streching the screen; I'd rather have the games in their original output ratio.. and it's a little annoying to have to go to the options menu and change the screen size manually, and then change it back.
Again, this is another feature that Snes9xTYL has.

Either way thanks a bunch for your efforts.
Did not know this was possible automatically
flamming_python

Post by flamming_python »

robson.santana wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:22 pmThe problem with the speed of the Sega CD is that when notaz that by making the Picodrive compatible with 32x, it switched its own memory manager through the memory manager of Genesis Plus GX, which is not an emulator created for portable devices (like Snes 9x). I believe that some optimization is possible, but it will require a lot of effort
Well isn't it possible to have both memory managers (the old one and the new one) and simply switch between them? Or are the changes made to accomodate 32x games too fundamental and have affected everything else?

What's a memory manager anyhow? You mean something like a garbage collector in the Mega Drive's RAM?
This is possible, this option already exists, in performance analysis mode (profile), please add this request in the github bugs page: https://github.com/robson-alcantara/picodrive/issues
Sure thing
This is possible if you increase the screen scaling factors in conjunction with the Fusa plugin (one of the plugin options does not consume resources).
From what I heard, the other emulators also do this together with the Fusa
As I understand, the FuSa plugin only outputs to full screen if you have a PSP 2000. In which case yes, every PSP game and homebrew can be set to output to full-screen through the plugin's options - the homebrews themselves require no modification.

I haven't tried FuSa myself; I have a PSP 3000.
As I understood it's possible for homebrews to be fullscreen with the PSP 3000 too; but it requires inclusion of this FuSa-related code into the homebrew source.

I might be completely wrong on all this though; like I said I haven't tried FuSa, I just heard it has problems on anything other than PSP 2000s.
I can look into this perhaps for you.
Did not know this was possible automatically
Why wouldn't it be? I presume that the homebrew app does have some library call or something else it can make to find out whether or not the PSP is outputing to the TV or using its own display.

BTW I have one final request; a bigger one, but this could be very promising:

d). 'overclocking' the rendering of certain games. Some games on the Mega Drive and Mega CD are naturally rendered very choppily and at low FPS. I'm thinking games like Steel Talons, Hard Drivin'.
Wing Commander 1 for the Mega CD has a snail's pace FPS when up close and personal with an enemy ( which is a shame as its otherwise a fantastic and unique port).
A game like Steel Empire - suffers a considerable amount of slowdown when there's a lot of action too.

It would be great if there was inbuilt support in the emulator to recognize certain problematic games, and if one is loaded - overclock their rendering/drawing to give them a faster FPS or avoid slowdown.

Return to “Emulators”