Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Is it time for me to move onto an another computer?

Everything related to computers that doesn't go in other categories
ZgamerR

Is it time for me to move onto an another computer?

Post by ZgamerR »

Hello

I have had a computer and used it for the past 7-9 years and well..... it can still play the blockbuster titles like Cod:Mw3 and Battlefield (all version)

I'm kind of surprised it still works :D

but in the last week or so, Everything on it started to crash. I started to get BSOD's a lot more from doing nearly nothing, Sometimes when i play games it randomly crashes. and now the graphics card died and so did the integrated sound card as well, At least i think that because there is no sound coming out off any ports.

I really don't know what to do because i don't want to go through the pain of buying parts and putting them together :(

Should i fix the one i got or get a new one built ?
Advertising
poop station

Re: Is it time for me to move onto an another computer?

Post by poop station »

a pc thats older than 5 years is already considered old... however my pc is something like 9 years old too and i haven't got any problems (asides from the slow cpu and weak power suply causing it to restart at random moments when the pc just started :lol: ).

first you might consider trying to see or those bsod's are hardware or software related. you also might look or the drivers work correctly for the sound and graphics card in device Manager. for the graphics card you could also look or it is still fully connected (might come lose after sometime, happened to my network card ones). open the pc and look inside to see if there is alot of dust. if so try to clean carefully it with a vacuum cleaner. dust could cause alot of problems, including random crashes. at last you could look at your motherboard to see or it has some bold capacitors.

if it really points out to be defect hardware i would recommend you to buy a new pc. especially if you never did replace the hard drive(s) sinds these might come to their end too after 7-9 years (you could check this with hdd tests of your bios. if you have none, you need to look from which brand your hdd is and download the right diagnostic software for that brand).

hope this helps :D
Advertising
ps=poop station
ps2=poop station 2 (this one can flush)
ps3=poop station 3 (this one has 2 flush modes)
psp=poop station portable
psn=playboy station nowork
msn=microsoft stupid network :lol:
nisarg_kolhe

Post by nisarg_kolhe »

You could play all the new games? You must be kidding! My 5 year old PC cannot even play Assassin's Creed(1), NFS Undercover(And the games which came afterwards in the series.), Call Of Duty : 4(That to at lowest settings and still lagging) etc. It celebrated the release of Far Cry when it was released(They gave a free copy with every system) and now it can't even play Far Cry 2!(At ANY settings). And when I bought it, it was a gaming PC! :roll: Now I can't even upgrade my graphic's card, as my motherboard doesn't support any new graphic card, and now Windows broke on that and its running Ubuntu at a very satisfactory speed(Unity sucks, Classic Gnome ftw!

If you can play the games you would have upgraded your graphics, and maybe the processor too!

If you still like your CPU box, I would suggest you to buy a new Motherboard. It would come with new processor(Look for Core i3+ or AMD Phenom II or Athlon II+), embedded graphics(They are not much powerful, so maybe in future you would need to buy new graphic card) and sound card as well! You could use your existing HDD or buy some new one(They have become so cheap now!) You could ask somebody who have experience with assembling to assemble it for you, it won't be difficult as you just need to put a Motherboard and HDDs! ;) Else you can buy a whole new PC, which would be more costly and then your old PC will(have) become obsolete! :(
Reality Sucks! :|
!~My Blog~!
[spoiler]Ultimate PS3 Theme Mod v2.1(For PSP)
Image[/spoiler]
ZgamerR

Post by ZgamerR »

nisarg_kolhe wrote:You could play all the new games? You must be kidding! My 5 year old PC cannot even play Assassin's Creed(1), NFS Undercover(And the games which came afterwards in the series.), Call Of Duty : 4(That to at lowest settings and still lagging) etc. It celebrated the release of Far Cry when it was released(They gave a free copy with every system) and now it can't even play Far Cry 2!(At ANY settings). And when I bought it, it was a gaming PC! :roll: Now I can't even upgrade my graphic's card, as my motherboard doesn't support any new graphic card, and now Windows broke on that and its running Ubuntu at a very satisfactory speed(Unity sucks, Classic Gnome ftw!

If you can play the games you would have upgraded your graphics, and maybe the processor too!

If you still like your CPU box, I would suggest you to buy a new Motherboard. It would come with new processor(Look for Core i3+ or AMD Phenom II or Athlon II+), embedded graphics(They are not much powerful, so maybe in future you would need to buy new graphic card) and sound card as well! You could use your existing HDD or buy some new one(They have become so cheap now!) You could ask somebody who have experience with assembling to assemble it for you, it won't be difficult as you just need to put a Motherboard and HDDs! ;) Else you can buy a whole new PC, which would be more costly and then your old PC will(have) become obsolete! :(
nisarg_kolhe wrote:You could play all the new games? You must be kidding! My 5 year old PC cannot even play Assassin's Creed(1), NFS Undercover(And the games which came afterwards in the series.), Call Of Duty : 4(That to at lowest settings and still lagging) etc. It celebrated the release of Far Cry when it was released(They gave a free copy with every system) and now it can't even play Far Cry 2!(At ANY settings). And when I bought it, it was a gaming PC! :roll: Now I can't even upgrade my graphic's card, as my motherboard doesn't support any new graphic card, and now Windows broke on that and its running Ubuntu at a very satisfactory speed(Unity sucks, Classic Gnome ftw!

thanks for the answer's i'm thinking of buying a new one and also when i bought the computer it was a top of the line computer at that time. The only thing i upgraded was the graphics card. Since the one i had with the computer died as well. :/

this is the hardware im thinking of buying :

Processor : AMD Phenom II X6 3.2Ghz ?

RAM : 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3

Video card : XFX ATI RADEON HD 6850

and im still thinking of a motherboard although this may do :

MSI 870S-C45
nisarg_kolhe

Post by nisarg_kolhe »

Yes! That will do! Although 4GB RAM will be sufficient, the more you have the better it will be! :)
Reality Sucks! :|
!~My Blog~!
[spoiler]Ultimate PS3 Theme Mod v2.1(For PSP)
Image[/spoiler]
ZgamerR

Post by ZgamerR »

nisarg_kolhe wrote:Yes! That will do! Although 4GB RAM will be sufficient, the more you have the better it will be! :)

Ok thanks for the help....now i just have to wait a month for the money :D and also i need More RAM because im going to run games e.g minecraft and for youtube. The only thing i can do with this computer now is just use it as an another server :D

Thanks once again :D
poop station

Post by poop station »

ZgamerR wrote:
nisarg_kolhe wrote:Yes! That will do! Although 4GB RAM will be sufficient, the more you have the better it will be! :)

Ok thanks for the help....now i just have to wait a month for the money :D and also i need More RAM because im going to run games e.g minecraft and for youtube. The only thing i can do with this computer now is just use it as an another server :D

4gb= max supported for 32bit os and also recommended for windows 7 32 bit
8gb= minimum for a decent running 64bit windows system. 4gb would work too but it will be very slow on 64bit. as far as i know is 8gb enough for a good 64bit gaming pc.
ps=poop station
ps2=poop station 2 (this one can flush)
ps3=poop station 3 (this one has 2 flush modes)
psp=poop station portable
psn=playboy station nowork
msn=microsoft stupid network :lol:
ZgamerR

Post by ZgamerR »

poop station wrote:
ZgamerR wrote:

4gb= max supported for 32bit os and also recommended for windows 7 32 bit
8gb= minimum for a decent running 64bit windows system. 4gb would work too but it will be very slow on 64bit. as far as i know is 8gb enough for a good 64bit gaming pc.

I have 3gb on the computer right now with a 64bit system and its good enough for mostly any game i play
fate6
Big Beholder

Post by fate6 »

Processor : AMD Phenom II X6 3.2Ghz ?

RAM : 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3

Video card : XFX ATI RADEON HD 6850

and im still thinking of a motherboard although this may do :

MSI 870S-C45
I have never assembled / built a computer before but I have been looking to do just that
(mainly so I dont have to spend as much :3)
now I looked up these parts you have here and they look good (I want to play games on it as well ^__^)
is this all that I would need to buy ?

I have no clue about this sort of thing so a list of hardware I would need would be very nice
like ZgamerR you could just post the parts your getting so I can just copy you ^___^
(and yes for once im going to ask for links but a name as really all I need)

now when it comes to actually putting everything together I now a guy that can help me so that not to much of a problem
anon wrote:If you can't trust a 600 year old vampire in a prepubescent girl's body, who can you trust?
Xian Nox
Retired Mod

Post by Xian Nox »

Okay, it's just my preference, but I like Intel processors better than AMDs. i7 ftw.
As for graphic cards, I've heard "nVidia works, but ATi has some problems" enough times on game reviews.
And get 2x4GB. Much better than 4GB.

Return to “General”