Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

C c++ c# java i need info

Programming on your favorite platform, for your favorite platform? Post here
dragonxtamer596

C c++ c# java i need info

Post by dragonxtamer596 »

Can someone tell me which is good for making an rpg with. If there are any other good ones please tell me. I want one that has many tutorials. Also has the ability to have: if statements, create empty images, support collision, support filling in empty images, ability to load images, support music, videos(possibly), support timers, colors, variables, saving loading, ablility to randomize. Maybe be similar to lua.
Advertising
hgoel0974
Retired Mod

Re: C c++ c# java i need info

Post by hgoel0974 »

dragonxtamer596 wrote:Can someone tell me which is good for making an rpg with. If there are any other good ones please tell me. I want one that has many tutorials. Also has the ability to have: if statements, create empty images, support collision, support filling in empty images, ability to load images, support music, videos(possibly), support timers, colors, variables, saving loading, ablility to randomize. Maybe be similar to lua.
Java is a no go, acc. to me, it is waaaay too slow.

C++ might be easy, I don't know for sure.

C#= super easy, if you want to add video, get AForge.NET (it also has AI stuff), empty images can be done, with the addon Aforge.NET you can even add sfx on the fly, music is supported I believe (if not, there will be a library for that as well) saving loading would involve writing things to file, again easy, random number, heck yeah!

Thing is all the languages can do this, none of them are similar to lua, but I believe C# is the easiest to learn and is very powerful as well. But if I may ask, why not just get a game engine and use it? Get something like the XNA framework for C# :)
Advertising
"If the truth is a cruel mistress, then a lie must be a nice girl"
Xian Nox
Retired Mod

Post by Xian Nox »

dragonxtamer596 wrote:Can someone tell me which is good for making an rpg with.
You can write an RPG in any programming language, I believe.
dragonxtamer596 wrote:If there are any other good ones please tell me. I want one that has many tutorials.
The 4 you mentioned have a ton of tutorials.
dragonxtamer596 wrote:Also has the ability to have: if statements
Err, all 4 have them? So far I haven't heard of a programming language that doesn't have if statements.
dragonxtamer596 wrote:create empty images
You can do this with all 4.
dragonxtamer596 wrote:support collision
What do you mean, support collision? You can do collision detection with all 4, it's just some maths.
dragonxtamer596 wrote:support filling in empty images
With the proper libraries, all 4 can.
dragonxtamer596 wrote:ability to load images
dragonxtamer596 wrote:support music
dragonxtamer596 wrote:videos(possibly)
dragonxtamer596 wrote:support timers
You have access to system time on all 4.
dragonxtamer596 wrote:colors
Those are just variables.
dragonxtamer596 wrote:variables
All programming languages should have variables.
dragonxtamer596 wrote:saving loading
All 4 can do it, it's nothing special.
dragonxtamer596 wrote:ablility to randomize
All programming languages have some sort of random number generator.
dragonxtamer596 wrote:Maybe be similar to lua.
I'd say C# or Java.
hgoel0974 wrote:Java is a no go, acc. to me, it is waaaay too slow.
Myth.
hgoel0974 wrote:Thing is all the languages can do this, none of them are similar to lua, but I believe C# is the easiest to learn and is very powerful as well. But if I may ask, why not just get a game engine and use it? Get something like the XNA framework for C# :)
^ this, pretty much. I'd suggest eithe C# or Java, if you're targeting Windows-only, or multiplatform. Also, you will need some additional libraries or a game engine. There's RPGmaker if you want to try it out, Unity seems to be quite popular too, XNA even though at the end of its lifespan is quite good, LWJGL or Slick if you're going for Java.
dragonxtamer596

Post by dragonxtamer596 »

Ok I have a couple more questions is there an engine that focuses only on 2d and also supports c# or java? Also can someone give me some tutorials regarding the things I stated?
Xian Nox
Retired Mod

Post by Xian Nox »

For Java, Slick2D is solely based around 2D games. You can try its wiki and forums. The latter are fairly active, but don't expect a response within a day.
For C#, the only thing that comes to mind is XNA, and it had a really decent wiki. Looking at the contents, you may have an easier time with XNA as it provides more options built-in than Slick.
Slick2D and LWJGL (with Slick being an adaptation of LWJGL for 2D) only pretty much offer you OpenGL, OpenAL and controller access. As far as AI, networking and various go, different libraries are needed. Slick at least does include built-in tiled and font support, but neither of those are hard to implement anyways.
XNA will hold your hand more and seems to have networking, physics and AI somehow integrated into itself. As such, it appears to be newb-friendlier.

Okay, first thing: you need either a game engine, or a set of libraries which will provide similar functionality to a game engine. This will provide you functionality that you need (eg. graphics, audio, and so on). On lua, it is the interpreter that serves the same purpose.

Something that came to mind just now is that you can use lua to write games for PC as well. You can use LÖVE (homepage) for 2D games, and its modules seem to cover pretty much all the basics. A game made with it is Flyer. (It's not finished though.)

If you're going to use Java, I'll recommend you to use eclipse. You'll need eclipse, jdk7, and you can follow the tutorials on the lwjgl wiki, or the slick ones to get started.

If you're aiming for C#, the only library that comes to mind is XNA. I have no experience with it or C# to begin with, so all the assistance I can provide in this case is mainly finding you tutorials. MSDN appears to have one: link.
For XNA, you will need Microsoft Visual Studio, XNA Game Studio, and of course an up-to-date version of .NET framework.
m0skit0
Guru

Post by m0skit0 »

hgoel0974 wrote:#= super easy, if you want to add video, get AForge.NET (it also has AI stuff), empty images can be done, with the addon Aforge.NET you can even add sfx on the fly, music is supported I believe (if not, there will be a library for that as well) saving loading would involve writing things to file, again easy, random number, heck yeah!
C# is Microsoft's Java my dear friend, and speed is almost the same. Next time avoid commenting like you know what you're talking about.
I wanna lots of mov al,0xb
"just not into this RA stuffz"
hgoel0974
Retired Mod

Post by hgoel0974 »

m0skit0 wrote:
hgoel0974 wrote:#= super easy, if you want to add video, get AForge.NET (it also has AI stuff), empty images can be done, with the addon Aforge.NET you can even add sfx on the fly, music is supported I believe (if not, there will be a library for that as well) saving loading would involve writing things to file, again easy, random number, heck yeah!
C# is Microsoft's Java my dear friend, and speed is almost the same. Next time avoid commenting like you know what you're talking about.
I am talking about my own experience ;)
I found manual 2d animations (using 'paint(Graphics whatever)' ) quite slower than in C#, Java easily got bogged down with a few shapes, C# had worked really well with the same program.
But I will say that my view MIGHT be biased because I prefer C# to Java and am only learning Java because it is what is being taught in school if I had a choice I'd definitely go for C#, it isn't as limited as Java (again from my own experience) :roll:
m0skit0
Guru

Post by m0skit0 »

In what way is Java limited in respect to C#?
hgoel0974
Retired Mod

Post by hgoel0974 »

m0skit0 wrote:In what way is Java limited in respect to C#?
I'll send you my code when I am at school.

Anyhow, I don't believe that Java has the ability to use any microsoft service built-in (ie. SAPI, TTS)
m0skit0
Guru

Post by m0skit0 »

I don't understand... What code? I mean in what way is Java limited. What does this have to do with your code?
hgoel0974 wrote: I don't believe that Java has the ability to use any microsoft service built-in (ie. SAPI, TTS)
First, I don't care about M$ buit-in services since they're not standard and only work in Windows, so pretty much useless outside Windows. Java has its own speech and TTS API, which is a standard library and works the same for all platforms, which is way more useful. It's probable that for Windows this API simply wraps up Microsoft's built-in implementation. Anyhow, much more cross-platform, which is definitely what Java shines over .Net which is almost not used outside Windows, even if its goal was to be Microsoft's Java.

Return to “Programming”