Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

gaming graphics card advice?

Discuss Windows, Mac, or Linux Gaming (or other types of applications) here
nisarg_kolhe

Re: gaming graphics card advice?

Post by nisarg_kolhe »

Halvhjearne wrote:
nisarg_kolhe wrote: Even me! :shock: But I get 30 fps on resolution 1980x1050 with this config :-

Intel Core i5 2nd Gen
4 GB DDR3 RAM
2 GB Graphic Card with 4.1 Pixel/Vertex Shader...

the amount of memory on your video card is really not what does the difference, but rather the actual gpu type ... unless your card is really high end, then theres actually no reason to have 2gb of ram on it, as the card will never actually be benefiting from all that.
your laptop has 2gb of ram, which is way overkill imho and properly just something the oem manufacturer implemented, just to make it sound like it has a lot of power, but it in reality it will never actually use all of that ... the nvidia gtx 580 (which is properly the best single gpu card on the market) comes with 1.5 or 3 gb of ram ... a kinda doubt that any mobile series graphics card can use more vram than any gtx 580, as most of these cards are about half the size of a regular laptop.
But the dedicated video memory does matter, and Oh! I have ATI Mobilty Radeon HD 4500. And also ATI Radeon HD 7970 is the best ATM IIRC.
Halvhjearne wrote:
nisarg_kolhe wrote: The fascinating thing is...My Black Ops lags a little with Max-Setting on 1980x1050 resolution and not Crysis 2! :shock:
theres a reason for that ... iirc then crysis 2 is utilizing a way more advanced graphics engine, that dosnt require as much gpu power, as previous generation of games did.
that is also the reason why you properly cant run crysis 1 at same resolution ;)
Crysis 1 ran fine, it had no problem. And maybe the Black Ops lagged just because of the background processes! :?
Advertising
Reality Sucks! :|
!~My Blog~!
[spoiler]Ultimate PS3 Theme Mod v2.1(For PSP)
Image[/spoiler]
Halvhjearne

Post by Halvhjearne »

nisarg_kolhe wrote: But the dedicated video memory does matter, and Oh! I have ATI Mobilty Radeon HD 4500. And also ATI Radeon HD 7970 is the best ATM IIRC.
6 month later ... :lol: and youre point is ...?? ... (do you even know what dedicated memory is?)

fyi ati 7970 is NOT the best single gpu card ... the nvidia gtx 680 is! (and at the the time this topic was created, the nvidia gtx 580 was the best and its also better than ati 7970)

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html
nisarg_kolhe wrote: Crysis 1 ran fine, it had no problem. And maybe the Black Ops lagged just because of the background processes! :?
well if you give wrong info, you will get a wrong sollution ...
Advertising
Dr. Evil wrote:I used to use Windows, but it was designed by freakin' idiots.
Now i use linux allowing me to conrol the "lasers" on my "death star" with ease.
I'm Dr. Evil, and I'm aspiring to take over the world.
nisarg_kolhe

Post by nisarg_kolhe »

Halvhjearne wrote:
nisarg_kolhe wrote: But the dedicated video memory does matter, and Oh! I have ATI Mobilty Radeon HD 4500. And also ATI Radeon HD 7970 is the best ATM IIRC.
6 month later ... :lol: and youre point is ...?? ... (do you even know what dedicated memory is?)

fyi ati 7970 is NOT the best single gpu card ... the nvidia gtx 680 is! (and at the the time this topic was created, the nvidia gtx 580 was the best and its also better than ati 7970)
I lurk around the active topics, and it got bumped and I replied! :shock: And yes I know what dedicated memory is! :roll: And ok if HD7970 is not better, but its the flagship card of ATI and will save you some money(of course the performance would be a little less.)

Halvhjearne wrote:
nisarg_kolhe wrote: Crysis 1 ran fine, it had no problem. And maybe the Black Ops lagged just because of the background processes! :?
well if you give wrong info, you will get a wrong sollution ...
I never asked for a solution, neither did I mention anywhere of Crysis 1! You asked about it, I replied... :roll:
Reality Sucks! :|
!~My Blog~!
[spoiler]Ultimate PS3 Theme Mod v2.1(For PSP)
Image[/spoiler]
Halvhjearne

Post by Halvhjearne »

Dr. Evil wrote:I used to use Windows, but it was designed by freakin' idiots.
Now i use linux allowing me to conrol the "lasers" on my "death star" with ease.
I'm Dr. Evil, and I'm aspiring to take over the world.
jd20dog

Post by jd20dog »

Halvhjearne wrote:Image
shalin soccer for the win lol :lol:

i use amd graphics cards in my gaming computers
$200 can git you a really nice one
my old two readion 1950 xtx still run every thing i throw at them, 8-)
and my raideon hd 6450 was the best $25 i spent in my vista rig
i don't run a graphics card in any of my ubuntu machines other then on board
you can set linix to use on board and set win to use the graphics card, if you want something different with compatibility issues
and eating thrifty maid noodles because of it......seriously!?! off brand noodles.....ouch i got burned by tech support.....ouch........
Zyrkl

Post by Zyrkl »

Gtx is an amazing brand, but if you want to save money, then think about getting an ati.
2x Psp 1000 M33 5.00 CFW
Psp 2000 (Bricked)
Psp 3000 6.20 CFW
2x Ps Vita 3G 1.81 eCFW

Return to “Games/Applications”