Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Nvidia GTX 970/980 PC, or stick with PS4(?)

Discuss Windows, Mac, or Linux Gaming (or other types of applications) here
haxxey
Big Beholder

Re: Nvidia GTX 970/980 PC, or stick with PS4(?)

Post by haxxey » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:18 pm

shinrukuszero wrote:Anyone ever realize that the most you'll get out of a good high end ($2500 retail/$1900-2300 DIY price range) computer is about 2 years max before you have to start putting graphics on Mid? I currently have a pretty sick Gaming laptop myself, but im not gonna depend on it to keep kicking out PS4 quality games for another 6-8 years without at least upgrading RAM (thats pretty much all I could do anyway, its a ROG laptop). My PS4/Xbox One systems will play consistently for at least another 10 years at its current quality. It's called PC "Master Race" for a reason, because like the popular kids, it takes hard work to maintain at the top, but consoles will always take very little modification to be consistently good. The most I have ever done to consoles to make them better is add bigger HDDs (not counting modding/jailbreaking/modchipping for extra features, im talking consistent, OOB, usage)
I get what you're trying to say, but there are a few flaws with your logic.

First of all, my 2000€ build (which I made, what, four years ago now) can run all new games on max (even games with high reqs, like GTA V, Crysis 3, Battlefield and so on). No need to downgrade the graphics.

Secondly... What's wrong with mid graphics?

Finally: You DO realize that the graphics on previous gen consoles with new games (say, GTA V) are comparable to the same game's PC version's low-medium graphics, right? Just because you can fine-tune your graphics settings on the PC and the graphics settings are locked on consoles does not mean that consoles have better graphics, or run in any way "better".
Advertising
We are such stuff as dreams are made on, and our little life is rounded with a sleep.

mopoge

Post by mopoge » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:42 pm

Don't forget 4k gaming! You can get a decent 28" 4k monitor for ~$400-$500US now. By the holiday season, they'll be mainstream and cheaper. A couple of GTX970s in SLI (or a single Radeon 295x2)will get you up to speed with 4K gaming.

I don't think the current gen gaming systems will support 4k, though the PS4 has a leg up on the Xbox since they could easily change their name to PS4k if they were able to come out with a new hardware revision. :D
Advertising

dexter62226

Post by dexter62226 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:58 pm

ps4, its cheaper to buy a ps4 the ps4 will have more coverage when it comes to games,it will be supported by titles for years to come. i have both a gaming rig and a ps4 and id def say i enjoy the ps4 more, its more convient

haxxey
Big Beholder

Post by haxxey » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:39 pm

More coverage? Since when? I hadn't noticed.
We are such stuff as dreams are made on, and our little life is rounded with a sleep.

LiquidShadow

Post by LiquidShadow » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:46 pm

dexter62226 wrote:ps4, its cheaper to buy a ps4 the ps4 will have more coverage when it comes to games,it will be supported by titles for years to come. i have both a gaming rig and a ps4 and id def say i enjoy the ps4 more, its more convient
Sooooo yes a ps4 is cheaper to buy BUT:

1. PS4 Games are more expensive, Online prices rarely drop
2. PS4 needs PS+...so 50€ a year for online services... Yes you get free stuff but its mostly stuff you didnt really want so thats no real plus. Especially since it forces you to stick with ps+ to keep your expanded library.
3. PS4 has no mods. I love mods. Mods change everything and give you the possibility to experience a game from a completely new perspective
4. PS4 only has medium Settings with 30fps compared to pc games. You can get higher frames for the price of a PS4. To be honest the 60fps talk is ***. You can enjoy any game as long as you dont notice any stutter. Depending on the game even sub 30fps are fine. But what matters here is that the current gen hardware can barely sustain 60fps @1080. My custom pc that cost me 600€ 5 years ago can still manage modern games on med to low settigns. I am enjoying The Witcher 3 with steady frames without hicups with a more than datet pc. It is beautiful even on the lowest possibe settings. So was Far Cry 3 and most games are. When it comes to performance dont forget dx 12 + steam os. Both sony and microsoft wont get any of it.
5. PC has a Backlog that goes back several generations. PS4.....nah.
6. PS4 has a few exclusives. PC has houndreds. Most PS4 games are released for Xbone and PC because porting the games is easy. Even several JRPG´s are ported to the pc. There barely is any reason to get a current gen console and i hate it.
7. PS4 can only play games and netflix and stuff. PC´s could actually be used productively and can do anything that matters a console can.
8. PS4 cant get upgraded. This is actually a negative point seeing how the main computing load seems to shift to gpu´s more and more. So I actually would be fine with a new GPU. I already invested in a good Power Suply etc and CPU´s arend that important anymore. A New GPU and I could keep this rig running for at least 3 more years.

@CPUzX Stick with the ps4 and save money to get a good pc. That is my opinion.

Return to “Games/Applications”