Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Steam on Linux announced by Valve, by the end of 2012

Discuss Windows, Mac, or Linux Gaming (or other types of applications) here
asgard20032
Location: Milky Way, Solar system, Earth, North America, Canada, Québec..... In front of my computer

Steam on Linux announced by Valve, by the end of 2012

Post by asgard20032 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:42 am

Valve officially announced this month that steam will come to GNU/Linux by the end of the year. Everything will work natively. First it will come to Ubuntu 12.04, then after, they said that they will maybe expand to other distribution (Debian, Fedora and OpenSUSE will be great, considering Debian is like THE LINUX DISTRIBUTION, father of many other, openSUSE represent KDE, Fedora represent GTK...). They already have the client running on Ubuntu. Currently, they are working on Left 4 dead 2, as the first official game on steam on Linux. The game currently work great, and now they are on the optimizing part and fixing last bug, so the game run as smooth as windows, and with the same number of bug as windows(less bug would be great...).

They are porting the Steam client, and the whole source engine. So we can see title such as Left for dead 1, Counter strike, half life, portal, team fortress... coming to Linux.

There are currently many indie game on steam, and many of these are already available on Linux, and people who purchased them on steam may be able to play on Linux without buying the title again(World of goo and Super Meatboy are good example).

There are also other title I see coming on Linux(no official announcement, I just think that they are potential title we could see on Linux),
- civilization(they support cross platform, available on mac, and its not the type of game much intense on graphic, so easy to port... when porting a game, we don't need to rewrite game mechanic like how enemy get damage, and how money work in the game, most of the time, its about graphic, sound, and thread, I/O...)
- Many of the free to play game on steam (spiral knight is a good bet, although I actually don't like that game, realm of the mad god, I would like to try it, always liked the 8 bit style, like minecraft, terraria... (although I don't thing minecraft and terraria are 8 bit, maybe 16, 22, 24, 32... we don't know, but its style has the cool graphic of old game...))
- Starbound (a game by one of the developper of terraria on the same style. Its announced that it will be available on Linux, but we don't know if that game will be available on steam. If its available, there are good chance that the linux version will also be available on linux version of steam as well... that's the game i am looking for currently)
- Most of the game already available on mac

Since steam is coming to Ubuntu first, I may reconsider a Ubuntu distribution... Kubuntu is currently the one that look the best for me. Don't really the fact they don't offer GTK installed in Ubuntu, we have extra download to do, and KDE is looking great. And since all Ubuntu's derivative use the same repo, steam will be available on all Ubuntu's official derivative (maybe it include Mint as well).

Also, remember that all Linux distribution are not so different, the difference between different distribution is mostly what are the installed package, the repo they use, the way they handle daemon and service when starting up, and some other minor thing, like package management. So Valve won't have difficulty to port Steam to other distribution, so It won't take many month, maybe 1-2 after the initial release on Ubuntu.

Also correct me if im wrong, but Left for Dead 2 will be the first game with good graphic on Linux. As far as I know, all currently available title on Linux are either ugly(super tuxt kart for example... the anti aliasing is so bad.. also when driving fast and taking a corner, I also see often white dote between texture), or don't run smoothly... (anyway, a true gamer won't judge a game by its graphic, but by its gameplay)

Currently, GNU/Linux & FreeBSD(and derivative) is behind other OS (windows, Mac OSX) in 2 graphic area: Game, and screen saver. Finally, after what Valve will do, the only thing that remain to fix for Linux is to get better screensaver... The currently one available are horrible. Yes, there are some that are good, but they are very rare... If only steam would also distribute screen saver.
Advertising

Xian Nox
Retired Mod

Re: Steam on Linux announced by Valve, by the end of 2012

Post by Xian Nox » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:21 pm

I can't help but have mixed feelings about this one. Yes, I'm happy enough to have people finally be interested in Linux as a gaming platform too, but Steam's DRM... Okay, I dislike DRM in general. And I will certainly think twice before installing it simply because of unknown messing with my own system. Most likely, I will set up a virtual machine with some Linux distro (I've been wanting to try out Arch for some time), cut any access it has to the local system, and give it Internet access for Steam. Anyone else's thoughts?
Also, they will be releasing a .deb package first for Ubuntu (why does everyone think all Linux distributions are Ubuntu?! :roll:). If I am so desperate to want to install it on openSUSE, I can either open the deb and copy the files manually, or use a tool like alien to convert it for me. (Or install a .deb package manager to begin with?)
asgard20032 wrote:considering Debian is like THE LINUX DISTRIBUTION, father of many other, openSUSE represent KDE, Fedora represent GTK...
Wait, wut?
I'm not going to question Debian being a nice distribution, but it is just a Linux distribution: Linux kernel + configuration tools + various other things. Also, openSUSE in no way, sense or form makes you use KDE... You can choose GNOME, KDE, LXDE or another window manager, the choice is there, as with some other distros.
asgard20032 wrote:Also, remember that all Linux distribution are not so different, the difference between different distribution is mostly what are the installed package, the repo they use, the way they handle daemon and service when starting up, and some other minor thing, like package management. So Valve won't have difficulty to port Steam to other distribution, so It won't take many month, maybe 1-2 after the initial release on Ubuntu.
alien cuts that to 10 minutes.
asgard20032 wrote:- Many of the free to play game on steam (spiral knight is a good bet, although I actually don't like that game, realm of the mad god, I would like to try it, always liked the 8 bit style, like minecraft, terraria... (although I don't thing minecraft and terraria are 8 bit, maybe 16, 22, 24, 32... we don't know, but its style has the cool graphic of old game...))
Unfortunately Terraria won't be ported because it uses XNA, and the developer studio pretty much fell apart. Unless they release the source code and someone else takes over, it will remain where it is.
asgard20032 wrote:As far as I know, all currently available title on Linux are either ugly(super tuxt kart for example... the anti aliasing is so bad.. also when driving fast and taking a corner, I also see often white dote between texture), or don't run smoothly... (anyway, a true gamer won't judge a game by its graphic, but by its gameplay)
I decided to start writing a 2D rpg some time ago. Recently I finished the map rendering, so I tested it on Windows and Linux. The result: Linux offered me almost 200 fps, Windows was running at around 100 fps. 'Nuff said. (I used Java for it too.)
Advertising

asgard20032
Location: Milky Way, Solar system, Earth, North America, Canada, Québec..... In front of my computer

Post by asgard20032 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:24 pm

I never said that terraria will be ported, i just said i like game like terraria and minecraft, because of their old style.

Also. we can use Fedora with KDE, openSUSE with GTK... But we have to remember that most of the development for GTK is done on Fedora, and most KDE development is done on openSUSE. If someone want the best KDE experience, they usually go with openSUSE where are all the new KDE's innovation.

And I put emphases on Debian, because there are so many descendant and derivative from Debian. Every one already heard of Debian (everyone = people that use linux)

Xian Nox
Retired Mod

Post by Xian Nox » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:40 pm

asgard20032 wrote:I never said that terraria will be ported, i just said i like game like terraria and minecraft, because of their old style.
I misunderstood, my bad.

fate6
Big Beholder

Post by fate6 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:29 pm

Xian Nox wrote: (why does everyone think all Linux distributions are Ubuntu?! :roll:).

simple its the most "newb friendly" distro
and hek I can still get my development done in it so yea its good by me :3

and well for people coming in from windows or mac it feels similar so getting used to it is not to hard
(tho I will admit I hate Unity >__<)
(sudo apt-get install gnome-shell :3)

also you have to remember that Valve are trying to make money here and the best way is by starting with the most well known and used distro, I am sure they will include other distro's in the future
anon wrote:If you can't trust a 600 year old vampire in a prepubescent girl's body, who can you trust?

celcodioc

Post by celcodioc » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:51 pm

Xian Nox wrote:I can't help but have mixed feelings about this one. Yes, I'm happy enough to have people finally be interested in Linux as a gaming platform too, but Steam's DRM... Okay, I dislike DRM in general. And I will certainly think twice before installing it simply because of unknown messing with my own system. Most likely, I will set up a virtual machine with some Linux distro (I've been wanting to try out Arch for some time), cut any access it has to the local system, and give it Internet access for Steam. Anyone else's thoughts?
Aw, you Linux geeks are too careful... :P
Xian Nox wrote:Unfortunately Terraria won't be ported because it uses XNA, and the developer studio pretty much fell apart. Unless they release the source code and someone else takes over, it will remain where it is.
Well, decompiling and porting it to MonoGame shouldn't be too hard. It wouldn't be perfectly legal, though...

Dallox

Post by Dallox » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:18 pm

I think it will be pretty cool that Steam covers all the Desktops, Finnaly dont have to use Wine to talk on my friends on steam. ;)
Also Terraria is ported to both Linux and Mac (Monogame), but its alil bit choppy. But still perfectly playable.
E-Yup.

Return to “Games/Applications”