Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

My mini reviews - Getting smarter?

The biggest PSP Homebrew competition ever.
More info at http://wololo.net/genesis
Pie

Re: My mini reviews - I can smell the hate

Post by Pie »

Weak justification:
[spoiler]
nakano wrote:<C&C>
I can assure you it was mostly the game on that one, the one I intend to post soon-ish, does has things I like, as well as real suggestions.
Also, "Consider that not every developer can be multi-talented for making unique concepts, working code, graphics, music and so on."
I agree that resource gathering is hard, but there are whole commintys that would have helped him with this
http://forums.tigsource.com/
Maybe you should try make a better homebrew. If you think a homebrew is so bad dont make a topic just let it be. you probably ruined the devs day. It not easy to code by the way
I don't need to know how to make games to know when I don't like them
I plan to go over a lot more then this one
Maybe the dev will not be bothered by one loser on the internet, or better yet, use this to help make the game better[/spoiler]

AND NOW THAT WE HAVE FLAM BAIT OUT OF THE WAY:
Brain Boxer.

No offense but when I saw this I thought it was going to be fairly bland.
Thankfully I was wrong! This is actually pretty neat in my opinion
Tragically though, there isn't a lot to talk about here, so short review here... sorry about that

----

There isn't much to talk about gamplay wise.
It a Quiz, and I like to think you know how those work so lets skip that and move into something cool to talk about.

---

Personally I liked the writing in this game. (Odd thing to say about a quiz game isn't it?)

When you don't get a question right, the game tells you so (duh), but its sometimes witty about it aswell. (Sony vs Goehot(?) > Withdrew > Keep dreaming)
Sometimes informative (for instance, I learned what the smallest country is)
Sometimes mean (And I had to fail a lot to make this review, so I got a lot of this)
And when you get a question right you are treated to some form of yes.
It give me a feeling that there a real personalty here. And I also like that it doesn't go overboard as well
And... that it for the writing, but hey I liked it, so I thought I'd say so

---

Graphically there isn't to much to say, but I will say this;
The "O" button looks WAY to close the the "[]" button.
Yeah... that's a bit nitpicky... but still!

Also I looked at the game files and saw a few face palm images but... the never showed up in the game... weird...
All in all what little there is, it all looks nice enough aside from tiny little things like the above

---

Now for the actual questions themselves.
There easy, often having silly answers just to make thing simpler:
"What is the name of Apple's founder?"

^ - Mr.iSellExtremelyExpensiveGizmos

[] - Mr. iFoundedApple

O - Mr. Steve Jobs

X - Mr. Steve Jobless
There not all like that, but they are still fairly easy, I would have enjoyed hard questions
Also there isn't very many, so you can't really replay this too much sadly.

That said both issues can easily be worked out in an update.

---
I leave with this, the game is very bare bones, but that doesn't mean it was a bad game, and I see the potential to grow.

Personally I suggest adding A HUGE amount of questions.
And make it so I can't see them all in one go, have a penalty for missing a question, 5 misses and you're out, or something.
Bonus questions, very hard, but if you get them right you get another chance to miss a question later(no penalty for a miss though)
There is a whole lot you can expend upon with this, and I would really love to see it.
Advertising
ASKidwai

Re: My mini reviews - Getting smarter?

Post by ASKidwai »

I'll be blest if I ain't blowed. The review of Brain Boxer is to say the least, flattering, yet I'd rate the game as poor. The background is too dark + buttons respond a bit late and basically it is a useless game, or maybe I feel so because I played it a 1000 times trying to debug the v1.00 of which the test builds are distributed to my team or testers, artists and contributors.
Speaking of which, I have to write more questions for it.

Questions are always welcome
Advertising
Pie

Re: My mini reviews - Getting smarter?

Post by Pie »

I thought the wait was intentional, heh heh

Return to “PSP Genesis Competition 2011”