Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Problem with the new splash screen.

The biggest PSP Homebrew competition ever.
More info at http://wololo.net/genesis
5h4d0w

Problem with the new splash screen.

Post by 5h4d0w »

The new splash screen on the PSP GENESIS page is saved in indexed colors mode; The jpg plugin does not support indexed colors, and will crash your apps when they try to load it. I swapped-out the old splash in my app with the new one, which caused the app to crash within seconds of booting... I saved the splash in RGB color mode (open in editor > mode > RGB), and it loads fine. Just a tip if anyone else has a problem loading it.
Advertising
Silver PSP 3001 6.20PRO-B5 Permanent + 32GB MS (2x 16GB MicroSD + Photofast CR-5400)

My PSP GENESIS Entry: SePlugins Manager
Strangelove

Re: Problem with the new splash screen.

Post by Strangelove »

Does JPEG even do indexed color modes? It shows up with the extension .jpg.gif. Probably GIF but I didn't bother to check atm.

Anyways... I recommend putting the splash screen up in full quality (full color, loss-less compression), optionally in different formats. The home-brew developer can then pick and choose how he want to save it.

Giving out images in indexed mode doesn't make sense, it just makes the quality worse. Some formats like JPEG doesn't result in bigger file sizes just because the picture in in full 24 bit. If you don't like JPEG then 8bit PNG might be your thing.
Advertising
"If you have specific questions ... don't hesitate to ask as the more generic the question is the more philosophic the answer will be" - PSPWizard
5h4d0w

Post by 5h4d0w »

Heh, so it's a .gif image. Gifs usually are in indexed mode. Whoever uploaded the image must have just renamed .gif to .jpg :roll:

And yeah, I HATE .jpg format images... The quality is terrible... PNG compression loses no quality and usually has a smaller file size than jpg anyway.
Silver PSP 3001 6.20PRO-B5 Permanent + 32GB MS (2x 16GB MicroSD + Photofast CR-5400)

My PSP GENESIS Entry: SePlugins Manager
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

Thanks for the report. For now feel free to convert the splash screen with your favorite tool, and I will upload a more conveninent one asap
If you need US PSN Codes, this technique is what I recommend.

Looking for guest bloggers and news hunters here at wololo.net, PM me!
Hellcat
VIP

Post by Hellcat »

Here, I supplied a lossless 32bit .BMP for the new splash, but it seems it got lost somehow.

Anyways, here it is:
http://f.lui.li/get_26_e833.html

Like said, it's a 32bit .BMP, should give you the best possible starting point to convert it into whatever you like/want/need :)

Return to “PSP Genesis Competition 2011”