Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

[Possible Concept] Accessory Port as USB OTG & A/V Output?

Everything that is PSVita-related but doesn't go in any other subforum
edukarlo

[Possible Concept] Accessory Port as USB OTG & A/V Output?

Post by edukarlo »

I own a PS Vita PCH-1001 since launch and I'm still curious about that mystery port. Because until now, it still has no use.

As of writing, many people are already suspecting it as a USB OTG port, and Sony customized it a little for their propriety considerations.

To satisfy my curiosity, I peeked inside the accessory port, and it somehow looks identical to a male mini USB port's inside part when you remove the shielding.
(male mini USB w/o shielding)

So, will a female mini USB fit in there? Hmmmm., obviously it won't fit. But since we now know that the original vita accessory port is a customized male mini USB, refabricating (removing the shield and filing the pins' plastic base to make it thinner) a female USB can possibly fit. and there she goes.

Perfect Fit!

Oooops! accidentally destroyed one pin while removing from my unit, I need to buy a new one to use once this mod will be officially confirmed.
female mini USB without shielding
female mini USB without shielding
DSC02462.JPG (89.09 KiB) Viewed 11952 times
Now, remember Sony's plug-n-play Cybershot Cameras' audio/video out with USB and RCA cables to view camera contents on TV?

Could Sony have possibbly implemented the same thing for the PS vita's accessory port?

Some pinout/wire cross-matching between the vita accessory port (thru refabricated mini USB) and Cybershot's A/V cable might make it work?

I'm a little bit scared to brick my vita, so I'll leave the testing for the more knowledgeable modders here.

Hope this may have hinted some little idea and possibly implemented in the future. I'm a little bit short in budget for the HDMI mod. And I'm not really satisfied with PS TV (not all games are supported).
Advertising
PSVita 1001 FW 3.18
Talkman Travel Tokyo TN-V10
Tekken 2 TN-X
---
Vita Accessory Port as USB OTG & A/V Output?
More info for PSVita Style CTF Theme V1.2x
Using Touch Screen Controls on TN-V?!?!?
haxxey
Big Beholder

Re: [Possible Concept] Accessory Port as USB OTG & A/V Outpu

Post by haxxey »

I'm pretty sure you can't brick your vita like that. Just a hunch.
Advertising
We are such stuff as dreams are made on, and our little life is rounded with a sleep.
yifanlu
Guru

Post by yifanlu »

It's likely not OTG because OTG is for sharing one USB port to act both as UDC and EHCI. Because the bottom port is a UDC port, the top one is likely USB EHCI. No video signals though (and no analog video converter in the Vita either). Regardless, to conserve energy, the Vita doesn't always turn the accessory port on, so you may need a kernel exploit before you can even use it.
SILENT_Pavel

Post by SILENT_Pavel »

So... This is not video/audio cable? This is not OTG cable? This is not data transfer cable? This is not even "serial" port as on dreamcast and playstation phat? Then what is it exactly?
vita
PCH-1008 WiFi, 3.18 OFW, 16Gb, EU PSN --> Go! Sudoku + Sports Superbikes 2 exploits.
samsara

Post by samsara »

SILENT_Pavel wrote:So... This is not video/audio cable? This is not OTG cable? This is not data transfer cable? This is not even "serial" port as on dreamcast and playstation phat? Then what is it exactly?
It's obviously an accessory port...
yifanlu
Guru

Post by yifanlu »

SILENT_Pavel wrote:So... This is not video/audio cable? This is not OTG cable? This is not data transfer cable? This is not even "serial" port as on dreamcast and playstation phat? Then what is it exactly?
It is a USB EHCI port. The VitaTV has it too, except exposed with a regular USB type a port.

(In theory if you hack the Vita and build a custom cable, you can connect your dualshock 3 to it)
josh_axey
Retired Mod

Post by josh_axey »

yifanlu wrote:No video signals though (and no analog video converter in the Vita either).
Yep. And no digital converter on handheld units either.

@OP: You could save yourself the trouble/cost with buying another cable to test that with, I've already done it.

Video out in general has been looked at thoroughly by a few different people now, myself included. It is possible to make a conversion board via several methods that uses the video lanes that go to the LCD (and bring them out to a connector, like say, a mini HDMI), but the practicality of install for most people is low - and the initial price to go to fabrication is high enough to not warrant any real interest (especially considering unit sales of the Vita itself).
Catch me: on Twitter | on GitHub | Rambling
【・ヘ・?】0b00000101
edukarlo

Post by edukarlo »

Sony people already said something about this:[spoiler]
2014-10-13-073110.jpg
2014-10-13-073110.jpg (129.23 KiB) Viewed 11684 times
2014-10-13-073011.jpg
2014-10-13-073011.jpg (158.27 KiB) Viewed 11684 times
[/spoiler]

Theoretically, a total boycott of PS/Vita TV, resulting to poor sales, will eventually force Sony to release an Official Firmware supporting access to that mystery port, and official accessories (like video out) that can be used with it.

PS/Vita TV hardware is basically same as of the original vita except the screen and controllers, so the original one can do whatever the TV version can? It just needs the cables and the ports. I think?

Release Firmware 5.00 now sony!! :evil:
PSVita 1001 FW 3.18
Talkman Travel Tokyo TN-V10
Tekken 2 TN-X
---
Vita Accessory Port as USB OTG & A/V Output?
More info for PSVita Style CTF Theme V1.2x
Using Touch Screen Controls on TN-V?!?!?
josh_axey
Retired Mod

Post by josh_axey »

edukarlo wrote:Sony people already said something about this:[spoiler]
2014-10-13-073110.jpg
2014-10-13-073011.jpg
[/spoiler]

Theoretically, a total boycott of PS/Vita TV, resulting to poor sales, will eventually force Sony to release an Official Firmware supporting access to that mystery port, and official accessories (like video out) that can be used with it.

PS/Vita TV hardware is basically same as of the original vita except the screen and controllers, so the original one can do whatever the TV version can? It just needs the cables and the ports. I think?

Release Firmware 5.00 now sony!! :evil:
I think you may have misread / are under a misconception of what we're saying. This topic has been discussed to death and beyond the grave again.
Catch me: on Twitter | on GitHub | Rambling
【・ヘ・?】0b00000101

Return to “General”