Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

xmb or live area ui

Everything that is PSVita-related but doesn't go in any other subforum
garrei

XMB or LiveArea? Whats your preference?

Post by garrei »

so when PSP came out I loved the XMB then PS3 came out with it as well, PS Vita comes out with LiveArea so we can only assume that PS4 will have this as well. But I just dont like it. the XMB seems so much simpler and better laid out than the LiveArea. What do you like? and why?
Advertising
My PC: AMD FX 8-core 4.2Ghz, 16gb RAM, GTX 580, 60gb SSD, Blu-ray Burner, WiFi, 1.5TB HDD, 1000W PSU, 27" Full HD Monitor
My PSP Slim 2002 - TA-085
My PS3 Slim 160GB 4.25 OFW
My Vita: WiFi only :(
Praxis

Re: XMB or LiveArea? Whats your preference?

Post by Praxis »

Hopefully the next-gen playstation does not get LiveArea or XMB, i personally want something new; something that can get updated yearly or every 2 years like the XBOX. idk if thats just me...
Advertising
PSP 1000: 5.00 M33-6
PS VITA: VHBL 1.80
Cheesethief

Post by Cheesethief »

Praxis wrote:Hopefully the next-gen playstation does not get LiveArea or XMB, i personally want something new; something that can get updated yearly or every 2 years like the XBOX. idk if thats just me...
The XMB could be updated, no doubt about that, but why fix something that is not broken and works great? The XMB has been around since the PSX (not the PS1, the PS2 DVR).

Live area is tolerable, but too disorganized, no matter how I attempt to lay things out. XMB won the Technology and Engineering Emmy Award for a reason. Besides that Live Area is only good for portable/touch screen devices, it is not really suited for much else.
Raspberry Pi Model B Rev. 2 Raspbian Wheezy Powered Headless Server
PS3 CECHP01 Habib Cobra 4.65 v1.00
PS Vita PCH1001 3.18 TN-V10 via Gladiator Begins
Desktop Windows 8.1 and Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS
Laptop Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS
garrei

Post by garrei »

Cheesethief wrote:Live Area is only good for portable/touch screen devices, it is not really suited for much else.
agreed, but sony wont make the ps4 an updated graphics ps3, im guessing they will integrate camera's like the kinect to work with WonderBook. and if they do that, they would possibly make the livearea for ps4 controller-free navigation. sony is all about having the latest technology...
My PC: AMD FX 8-core 4.2Ghz, 16gb RAM, GTX 580, 60gb SSD, Blu-ray Burner, WiFi, 1.5TB HDD, 1000W PSU, 27" Full HD Monitor
Cheesethief

Post by Cheesethief »

garrei wrote:
Cheesethief wrote:Live Area is only good for portable/touch screen devices, it is not really suited for much else.
agreed, but sony wont make the ps4 an updated graphics ps3, im guessing they will integrate camera's like the kinect to work with WonderBook. and if they do that, they would possibly make the livearea for ps4 controller-free navigation. sony is all about having the latest technology...
Then they could easily do it now with the PS Eye. Keep in mind Sony has been into the camera + console deal way before MS and their Kinect. Their way, Live Area won't work with a camera unless it gets some sort of update. Waiving your hand in the air isn't like touching something on a screen, it won't be as accurate to select things.
Raspberry Pi Model B Rev. 2 Raspbian Wheezy Powered Headless Server
PS3 CECHP01 Habib Cobra 4.65 v1.00
PS Vita PCH1001 3.18 TN-V10 via Gladiator Begins
Desktop Windows 8.1 and Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS
Laptop Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS
Batman:Beyond
Banned

Post by Batman:Beyond »

PS4 wont use live menu. Live is built for portable touchscreen like Windows 8, which is why they later added the support for controls. PS4 will either use PS3 or something better.
garrei

Post by garrei »

Cheesethief wrote: Then they could easily do it now with the PS Eye. Keep in mind Sony has been into the camera + console deal way before MS and their Kinect. Their way, Live Area won't work with a camera unless it gets some sort of update. Waiving your hand in the air isn't like touching something on a screen, it won't be as accurate to select things.
Think of eyetoy... how you could select stuff on-screen with that by hovering your hand over the icon until the bar loads up, its a **** idea for sony to do so if they keep going the way they have been lately... thats what they will do xD
Batman:Beyond
Banned

Post by Batman:Beyond »

garrei wrote:
Cheesethief wrote: Then they could easily do it now with the PS Eye. Keep in mind Sony has been into the camera + console deal way before MS and their Kinect. Their way, Live Area won't work with a camera unless it gets some sort of update. Waiving your hand in the air isn't like touching something on a screen, it won't be as accurate to select things.
Think of eyetoy... how you could select stuff on-screen with that by hovering your hand over the icon until the bar loads up, its a **** idea for sony to do so if they keep going the way they have been lately... thats what they will do xD
Ever heard of Kinect?
qwikrazor87
Guru

Post by qwikrazor87 »

Personally I hope they stick with the XMB, it's a lot more organized than LiveArea.
It would better if they just add the option to switch between the XMB and a better version of LiveArea.
PSP 2001 - TA-085 - 6.61 PRO-C2
PS Vita 3G - PCH-1101 - 3.65 HENkaku Ensō
Alcatel phone - Android 8.1.0
Laptop - Toshiba Satellite L305D-S5974 - Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
garrei

Post by garrei »

Batman:Beyond wrote:
garrei wrote:
Ever heard of Kinect?
Ever heard of gtfo coz this is a sony thread. oh wait, maybe sony and microsoft will team up and the ps4 will support kinect! WRONG. dang kids... :roll:

Return to “General”