Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

[RELEASE] Learn Japanese v0.9 (signed)

Most of the homebrews discussed in this forum can be downloaded here
ponpon
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:11 am

[RELEASE] Learn Japanese v0.9 (signed)

Post by ponpon »

Hello, amateur coder here. I made a update for a homebrew game that I started 3 years ago. It's basically a trivia game designed to help people memorize Japanese words by answering the English questions with the Japanese equivalent. The difference between this game and other language learning games is that users must input the answers manually by typing it in on a custom OSK that I've developed. I find this method more useful than using flashcards or multiple choice. There's 15 stages in all, it starts off quite simple but it gradually gets more difficult as you progress.

In this update I added a option to randomize the questions, and I included a Karaoke rhythm game. Since this version uses Lua Player Plus by NaNnI & Rinnegatamante, it now features MP4 playback. However the LPP version that I used didn't have IntraFont which was required for Japanese text input, so I included a option to switch to LuaPlayer Euphoria by Zack in the options menu. It just doesn't have MP4 playback in that version, but it runs much more stable though.

Here's a link to the file:
http://www.fileswap.com/dl/OoTS5Iw5OW

Video demonstration:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYCYvPWqLcs

I was thinking about adding a Network mode, which will allow for chatting and downloadable extras. I just need to figure out this Netlib thingy. Honestly, I'm very new to programming and development in general, I'm not even entirely sure what a server is :lol: I learned most of this stuff by following online tutorials and experimenting with examples. So you may have to excuse me if I come across a bit noobish. I wish I started doing this years ago, I didn't get a PSP until 2010. Sadly, it doesn't look like the homebrew scene is as active anymore. I started when it was on it's last leg.
Advertising
noname120
Developer
Posts: 777
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:29 pm

Re: [RELEASE] Learn Japanese v0.9 (signed)

Post by noname120 »

Great!

I was thinking about adding a Network mode, which will allow for chatting and downloadable extras. I just need to figure out this Netlib thingy. Honestly, I'm very new to programming and development in general, I'm not even entirely sure what a server is :lol: I learned most of this stuff by following online tutorials and experimenting with examples. So you may have to excuse me if I come across a bit noobish. I wish I started doing this years ago, I didn't get a PSP until 2010. Sadly, it doesn't look like the homebrew scene is as active anymore. I started when it was on it's last leg.
You should not use the Netlib because it doesn't work any longer and it's in addition made for online games.

I think you'll need PHP&SQL server side, and you'll need som http library client side.
Advertising
Funny stuff
<yifanlu> I enjoy being loud and obnoxious
<yifanlu> rooting an android is like getting a hooker pregnant
<xerpi> I sometimes think I should leave all this stressing **** and be a farmer instead
DS_Marine
Developer
Posts: 276
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:32 pm
Location: Argentina
Contact:

Re: [RELEASE] Learn Japanese v0.9 (signed)

Post by DS_Marine »

Great realease! Can't wait to leave from work to try it :D
Why not upload it to Wololo's site?
noname120 wrote:Great!

I think you'll need PHP&SQL server side, and you'll need som http library client side.
You are killing him :D
I can code a small game server for you if you need it. Well, It's already coded actually (It was the PSVDO winsock chat), basically you connect to it and your app can talk to the other apps connected to it. It's very simple and it will have the greatest performance, the downside is that you need your own server to run it (or someone to run the exe for you), if you want to use a free server then you need php/mysl like the non-named guy said :lol:
ImagePSP-Controlled drone
"Hackers don't have superpowers. Just a hackable PSP and a brain (ships by default on most humans models)" - A famous guy
Image
ponpon
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:11 am

Re: [RELEASE] Learn Japanese v0.9 (signed)

Post by ponpon »

noname120 wrote:Great!

You should not use the Netlib because it doesn't work any longer and it's in addition made for online games.

I think you'll need PHP&SQL server side, and you'll need som http library client side.
Hmm that sounds a bit daunting at the moment. I did dabble in C briefly when I was tryingto recompile LPP r142 with intraFont. However I was unsuccessful at just compiling the simpliest source code. I figure it's probably because I used Minimalist PSPSD instead of cygwin. So then I tried to install cygwin which took forever, and it got closer but it still failed. It was too time consuming so I decided to put that off til later. I do plan on immersing myself in the environment. But I'm the type of person who needs to delve 100% into something or don't even attempt it at all. Just dabbling into things I'll get very confused and quit. But I'm not deterred in doing so, I would love to try my hand at C, it's just I need to do it correctly and start completely from scratch and right now I just don't have the time.
DS_Marine wrote:Great realease! Can't wait to leave from work to try it :D
Why not upload it to Wololo's site?
noname120 wrote:Great!

I think you'll need PHP&SQL server side, and you'll need som http library client side.
You are killing him :D
I can code a small game server for you if you need it. Well, It's already coded actually (It was the PSVDO winsock chat), basically you connect to it and your app can talk to the other apps connected to it. It's very simple and it will have the greatest performance, the downside is that you need your own server to run it (or someone to run the exe for you), if you want to use a free server then you need php/mysl like the non-named guy said :lol:
Thanks for even considering it. Well I tried submitting it but I'm not sure how long it'll take so I got a bit anxious and thought to myself, maybe I should create a thread about it and hopefully get some feedback and help. I'm a bit new to the site, I mean I've been made aware of wololo in the past because of HBL and the Genesis competition, but I've been out of the gaming loop almost entirely for the past 2 years. I'm not much of a gamer honestly, but the idea of creating homebrew games and apps always excite me : D

I was reading up on servers while doing my research, and I was thinking about setting up a home server just and test things out. I'm very clueless in running one, would I need to have some type of special configuration to allow for a game server? Because when I think of servers, I'm thinking of a webhost or something to to share files or broadcast/stream content live. I'm really not too familar with it.

But yes I would love to try it, I just need to get more familar with how to set one up. Thanks! The reason why I took a 2 year layoff from this project is because I had started a new career which required all my effort and time, normally this update would have taken me 3 or 4 days in my younger days, but because I work full time now, it took me nearly a month just to make this update ;_; well, I better get ready for work. thanks again everybody, ja mata.
nakano
Posts: 107
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:07 pm

Re: [RELEASE] Learn Japanese v0.9 (signed)

Post by nakano »

Nice that you're still interested in PSP programming and updating this! It seems the free download link does not work at the moment.
Genesis 2011 projects:
* AnyLanguageStudy
* Company (Card Game)
DS_Marine
Developer
Posts: 276
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:32 pm
Location: Argentina
Contact:

Re: [RELEASE] Learn Japanese v0.9 (signed)

Post by DS_Marine »

Well, it really depends on what type of game you need. If it's turn based, even your own pc can be the server.
For realtime action games, things get more complicated.
Also you need to think if your game will be peer to peer, or server based.
Peer to peer it means all the code is in your client app, you can connect directly to the other player, or use a server to prevent firewall/routing issues (the server only gets the messages and relay to the other clients unmodified. ID's software DOOM works this way).
Server based it means the server has all the information about game logic, player status, makes all calculations like roll dices, etc. The client only does what the server tell it to. The catch, you have to code the server logic also, and the server load increases more.
About Wololo's processing time, I don't know, as I never published anything yet. (It should depend on how busy the moderators are).
Well I still have to test your app, so off I go...

Lol at your 2nd app in the capture :twisted:
ImagePSP-Controlled drone
"Hackers don't have superpowers. Just a hackable PSP and a brain (ships by default on most humans models)" - A famous guy
Image
Theredbaron
Posts: 457
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:47 pm
Contact:

Re: [RELEASE] Learn Japanese v0.9 (signed)

Post by Theredbaron »

Crash's out of Uno's TN-V2.
Vita 3G - 4GB/8GB - 3.00 TN-V
ponpon
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:11 am

Re: [RELEASE] Learn Japanese v0.9 (signed)

Post by ponpon »

nakano wrote:Nice that you're still interested in PSP programming and updating this! It seems the free download link does not work at the moment.
Hey what a pleasant surprise to see you here. Glad to see you still around ^^
hmm maybe that's why my submission wasn't added, well here's a sendspace link:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/k32qvg

Although i haven't been working on anything for years, i still constantly fantasize about new gaming concepts and ideas. i dont think i'll ever lose interest in creating. if i was stuck on a deserted island with a computer and a bunch of programming reference books, i'll never be bored XD
i had to put it on hiatus because i started a new career which required a lot of training, but im comfortable enough to go to work and do my job like it's second nature so that gives me room for side projects.
DS_Marine wrote:Well, it really depends on what type of game you need. If it's turn based, even your own pc can be the server.
For realtime action games, things get more complicated.
Also you need to think if your game will be peer to peer, or server based.
Peer to peer it means all the code is in your client app, you can connect directly to the other player, or use a server to prevent firewall/routing issues (the server only gets the messages and relay to the other clients unmodified. ID's software DOOM works this way).
Server based it means the server has all the information about game logic, player status, makes all calculations like roll dices, etc. The client only does what the server tell it to. The catch, you have to code the server logic also, and the server load increases more.
About Wololo's processing time, I don't know, as I never published anything yet. (It should depend on how busy the moderators are).
Well I still have to test your app, so off I go...

Lol at your 2nd app in the capture :twisted:
wow thanks for the overview it's very informative . yeah i'm definitely going to have to do extensive research on it.. i learn from experiecne so im going to need to try and set one up myself. i dont even play online games, im aware of fps such as counterstrike, halo etc, but i never played any of them lol except for maybe doom but it wasnt really my thing. for now, a simple chat application sounds good so i'll shoot for that. when i say im clueless in the subject, i kid you not, i really am XD but i enjoy soaking up knowledge and picking up new things so I look forward to experimenting with it.

That's Nurse Joy from Pokemon lol it's actually the icon for my alternative version, v0.9B which is switchable in the options menu. that version doesn't have MP4 playback, but it has Japanese text input.


Theredbaron wrote:Crash's out of Uno's TN-V2.

man i've been gone for over 2 years, i need to catch up on a lot of things. Is that for the PSP Vita? I'm thinking about picking up a PSP Vita for myself. Thanks for giving it a try
Theredbaron
Posts: 457
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:47 pm
Contact:

Re: [RELEASE] Learn Japanese v0.9 (signed)

Post by Theredbaron »

ponpon wrote:man i've been gone for over 2 years, i need to catch up on a lot of things. Is that for the PSP Vita? I'm thinking about picking up a PSP Vita for myself. Thanks for giving it a try
Yeah. The vita has a kernel hack (for the PSP EMU) for up to vita firmware 2.02 ala Uno, and a usermode hack up the 2.06 (latest) with Apache Overkill.

The Vita's PSP emu is based on a psp phat with firmware 6.60. However, it does not have the media engine. That, I would guess, is why this is crashing. I assume you access the ME for the video playback?

I have been sorta trying to learn Japanese for a while now. Would love to be able to keep up with gaming news by watching direct feeds from japan. Also I would love to be able to go to Akihabara :). Would have loved to been able to use this, but alas, no go.
Vita 3G - 4GB/8GB - 3.00 TN-V
DS_Marine
Developer
Posts: 276
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:32 pm
Location: Argentina
Contact:

Re: [RELEASE] Learn Japanese v0.9 (signed)

Post by DS_Marine »

oh man! I was pulling my hair out with that keyboard for the first minutes, then I opened the png file with the info in my computer :D
but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty good. Maybe you could make a key combination (if you can spare one) to show the key help file.
Am I rusty, or the program is too unforgiving? I took like 45 minutes to clear lv2 (started there), and anytime a new word appeared, I typed in fear that there could be a slight difference an my streak would be lost!
Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. But since I'm also a coder/tester I can't help it :lol:
for "but..." I typed でも。。。 busted!
I learned Japanese for the 2004 world cup (but couldn't get the money to go in the end. ah, the highschool days,,,) so yes, I'm rusty.
the xmb video...loool.
ponpon wrote:That's Nurse Joy from Pokemon lol it's actually the icon for my alternative version, v0.9B which is switchable in the options menu. that version doesn't have MP4 playback, but it has Japanese text input.
Oh right, now that you say it, I see... I didn't recognized her, umm.. face.

looking forward to unlock all levels...
keep the good work!
ImagePSP-Controlled drone
"Hackers don't have superpowers. Just a hackable PSP and a brain (ships by default on most humans models)" - A famous guy
Image
Post Reply

Return to “Homebrews”