Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Game Decryption - Some Games Won't Decrypt

HENkaku is a native Homebrew Enabler for the PS Vita and PS TV. It lets you run homebrews on the PS Vita
flamethrower

Game Decryption - Some Games Won't Decrypt

Post by flamethrower » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:41 am

I tried 4 different games.
One of them, YsVIII Lacrimosa of Dana wouldn't work, that's PCSG00881.
I tried 3 others: Celceta USA (PCSE00245), Zero no Kiseki Evolution (PCSG00042) and Ao no Kiseki Evolution (PCSG00246) and those all worked.
I heard Tokyo Xanadu does not work in the same way.

The only thing that's different about YsVIII is its required firmware version is 3.60.
Any ideas on what to try?
The symptom is: When you launch the game, Near (or Email) closes. That's what's going on. But I have no ideas on how to change this behavior. Any ideas?
Advertising

kuh

Re: Game Decryption - Some Games Won't Decrypt

Post by kuh » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:17 am

I think I know why this is.
Try opening the browser and other apps such as email or videos. Don't close them, then slide over to livearea and launch your game.

Does it notify you that 'the following applications will close: browser, email...'? If so, then what you have is one of those games that make use of the extra resources the Vita allows since 3.50, and this requires closing other applications to free up the memory to use. Danganronpa UDGirls is another example.
Why this makes the dumps fail? Simple - the Near manual trick is used to make the Vita decrypt the files. When near gets closed by the application's launch, we lose the currently mounted unencrypted source. I don't think this can be avoided.

It's similar to how some games on the old3DS such as Smash make the whole 3DS reboot and launch the game, and you're unable to use other system apps from the home menu while having Smash open.

I do know that Danganronpa UDG was dumped, though - but this was done using the failmail exploit. If you have a 3.52 system you might be able to do it.
Advertising

flamethrower

Post by flamethrower » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:32 am

Can you even install a higher firmware game onto a lower firmware console? If you can, then this might be possible, I could give it a try. Like I said, YsVIII required firmware version (to run) is 3.60. Can you advise? I have a 3.51 system, is there something special about 3.52?

If there was an ePSP exploit for HENkaku, that would work too, but there isn't one, yet.

Yes, so I did the check you suggested. I opened: browser, content manager, photos and calendar. When I started Ys VIII, it closed them all. I didn't get the "the following applications will be closed" notification, though.
Last edited by flamethrower on Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

kuh

Post by kuh » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:38 am

OK, then we know why you can't dump these games indeed.

You may be able to still stick in a 3.60 game on 3.52 and dump it, see if you can open the manual without updating. If you can then it probably will work. The old method requires opening the manual, but you don't need to launch the 'game' as Molecularshell's method does. Therefore, the Near app should not close.

As for the difference, 3.51 and 3.52 are the same when it comes to the mail exploit. 3.52 simply disabled the PSM apps from working ever again by blacklisting them (to kill Rejuvenate).

tomtomdu80
Buffer Overflow

Post by tomtomdu80 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:02 am

I managed to dump those yesterday, you need to patch app.db.
With the help of someone from gbatemp, we noticed that the problem was either in key 2412347057 or key 1640794848 in the game entry in tbl_appinfo.
Simply delete those 2 keys if they exist (I mean, the full entry of the key).

Internetakias

Post by Internetakias » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:37 am

tomtomdu80 wrote:I managed to dump those yesterday, you need to patch app.db.
With the help of someone from gbatemp, we noticed that the problem was either in key 2412347057 or key 1640794848 in the game entry in tbl_appinfo.
Simply delete those 2 keys if they exist (I mean, the full entry of the key).
I deleted 2412347057 since I couldn't find the other key but my app0: is still empty after launching near/game manual and then Molecule as a "patch" for UDG

tomtomdu80
Buffer Overflow

Post by tomtomdu80 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:17 pm

Can anyone else confirm ?
Also, is the Near/Manual app still automatically closed ? Another thing that comes to my mind is changing the category of the game from "gd" to "gdb" too (still in app.db).

samsara

Post by samsara » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:58 pm

I can confirm that Ys VIII closes all running apps without telling you it does. Couldn't find key 1640794848 either.

Internetakias

Post by Internetakias » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:47 pm

To get this out of the way, what is the region of your games, tomtom? My copy of UDG is European. Also, yeah, Near closes after I launch the game.
EDIT: changing "gd" to "gdb" did nothing

flamethrower

Post by flamethrower » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:14 am

Confirmed. I tried different stuff, nothing worked. Okay, now to fallback methods.

I thought of doing the following to see if it works:
1) Buy a PSP game or a mini
2) Goose app.db such that your entire game's data is attached to the save file path
Note for step 2: Add a key to TABLE tbl_appinfo: PSP_OR_MINI_GAME_ID;2454440077;../../../app
This is based on this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fIz1aECHuI
The author deleted the text version of it and replaced it with Major Tom's HENkaku-based one.
3) Open the game in Near with the browser
4) Backup your PSP game or mini (it takes the Vita game with it)
5) Restore the backup to the Vita
6) Transfer the contents using molecularSHELL (it can access PSP file system... it needs to access the save files for our PSP game
Will this work? I guess I just gotta try it and report back.

I got stuck at step 4 with an error: c2-17775-7 "the contents could not be transferred"
I don't know enough about Vita to troubleshoot it.
I did take a look at properties and the reported file size was 3440 MB whereas the mini it was based on was 85 MB.

Will try the full original method using a 3.51 firmware system.
EDIT: The previous method using firmware 3.51 worked.

Return to “HENkaku”