Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

New Homebrew plugin on the forum

codestation
Big Beholder

Re: New Homebrew plugin on the forum

Post by codestation »

I have also blocked javascript for now on the forum (i never liked those types of mouseover popups). What about restricting the popup generation to one match per post and 2-3 per page? (of the same homebrew). So if one has named Lamecraft 10+ times in a single post it only creates a popup link once, and if the same homebrew has been named lots of times in a page then only make 2 or 3 links.

e.g.:

if a user says "homebrew_name, blah, blah, blah, homebrew_name, more words, more words homebrew_name, final words." then it will only create a link on the 2nd one. If there are lots of posts like this on the page then the script will only choose 2 or 3 of these posts to create the link.
Advertising
Plugin list
Working on: QPSNProxy, QCMA - Open source content manager for the PS Vita
Playing: Error: ENOTIME
Repositories: github, google code
Just feel the code..
Killerfeeshy

Post by Killerfeeshy »

Nice lil plugin wololo ;) , this is actually quite handy :)

only 1 slight glitch for me on internet explorer though, the right side and bottom of the box gets cut off a lil along with 1 or 2 letters, no big deal but i thought id just tell you.
Advertising
70 M3 M7 P5P 15 L1K3 4 DRUG 1F I75 /\/07 I/\/ M7 P0CK37 1M G0/\//\/4 P4/\/1C
My Homebrews
Crazy Eyes
ProKill
Top Down Racing
And others currently unreleased
Got any questions? http://www.ask.fm/Killerfeeshy
waratte

Post by waratte »

wololo wrote:doh...
Is this Firefox running in (K)ubuntu? I'll try to check that...would love to see if other people run into a similar problem.
I'm getting the same problem. I'm using Firefox in Windows XP.
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

Thanks guys for the feedback, so here's what I plan to do in the days to come, hopefully this weekend:
- add an option in user control panel to disable the plugin
- fix the weird size issue that some people experience on Firefox (this one's really weird, firefox is my browser, the plugin was developed and tested a lot on this browser)
- investigate the possibility to limit the amount of times a given homebrew gets highlighted per page (codestation's suggestion)

codestation: I know some people don't realy like those types of popups because they remind people of advertising (I took my inspiration from a feature I love on another forum dedicated to MTG cards), would you have a suggestion for something less intrusive ?
If you need US PSN Codes, this technique is what I recommend.

Looking for guest bloggers and news hunters here at wololo.net, PM me!
Darkrainbow

Post by Darkrainbow »

This one is really useful :)
While ago, I was wondering, why some texts like "Lamecraft", were displayed in gray :D

EDIT: The text of Lamecraft is not displayed correctly.
Welcome
JJS
Big Beholder

Post by JJS »

Looks like unapproved entries are shown in the "Random Homebrew" display. At the moment is is this gem:
Random Homebrew: John
../../../../../../../../../../../../../../../etc/passwd.html
:roll:

http://xkcd.com/327/
toBsucht
VIP

Post by toBsucht »

wololo wrote:... 500 homebrews is updated every week. The system takes the most popular homebrews AND some homebrews that don't have many ratings. This allows people to "discover" new stuff...Maybe I'll change the algorithm to give more "chance" for a new homebrew to show up.
:P that´s fast..

..thinking the same a disable option for this plugin can be helpful to, no problem for me
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

JJS wrote:Looks like unapproved entries are shown in the "Random Homebrew" display. At the moment is is this gem:
Random Homebrew: John
../../../../../../../../../../../../../../../etc/passwd.html
:roll:

http://xkcd.com/327/
TiPi was doing some security checks on the database :mrgreen:
I fixed the vulnerabilities he identified so far (the "random homebrew" file was not checking if the homebrew was approved or not).
Nevertheless, that plugin was sanitizing the html before outputting it, so it was risk-free, but just looked weird.

wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

wololo wrote: - fix the weird size issue that some people experience on Firefox (this one's really weird, firefox is my browser, the plugin was developed and tested a lot on this browser)
- investigate the possibility to limit the amount of times a given homebrew gets highlighted per page (codestation's suggestion)
These two things are done. I set a fixed width/height for the popup, so it should work on all browsers. I also limited the links to 3 times the same homebrew per page, and once maximum per post. This should limit the "overuse of popups" on subforums such as the lamecraft one.

I wanted to work on an option to deactivate the plugin in the user control panel today, but instead I investigated an HBL thing...

wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

It is now possible to disable the plugin in user control panel > Board preferences > Edit display options.

Return to “Announcements”