PS4 Jailbreak: Official tools and news for PS4 Jailbreak, latest updates directly from the PS4 hacking scene. You just got yourself a new PS4, and are looking for a PS4 Jailbreak / PS4 Custom Firmware solution? Then bookmark this page, as it will be kept up to date with the latest, greatest, and simplest solutions available for Playstation 4 CFW.
PS4 Jailbreak – the current status
Can you Jailbreak PS4 Firmware 11.02?
Not at the moment. See below for details
PS4 9.00 Jailbreak
PS4s running on Firmware 9.00 or lower can be Jailbroken. Check the links below for the required tools to Jailbreak your PS4.
- How to run the PS4 9.00 Jailbreak (Full guide with GoldHEN payload)
- PS4 9.00 Jailbreak released (December 2021)
- Where to find a PS4 with firmware 9.00 or lower
What is the Jailbreak status for firmwares 9.03, 9.04, 9.50, 9.51, 9.60, 10.00, 10.01, 10.50, 10.70, 10.71, 11.00, 11.02?
There is no public Jailbreak at this point for firmwares 9.03 and above, despite what some websites might have told you. In particular, there is no custom firmware available for these firmwares.
However for these firmwares, the Mast1c0re Exploit is an exploit that leverages a bug in PS2 remakes (such as Okage: shadow King), and that runs on the PS4. In theory this works on all firmwares up to 11.02 included (the latest firmware at the time of writing). That exploit isn’t a Kernel exploit and doesn’t constitute a Jailbreak, but lets you run PS2 Iso and PS2 Homebrew on the PS4. Details here.
In the meantime, it is generally recommended that you stay on as low a firmware as possible, as new hacks will eventually surface. Your current best bet however is to get a low firmware PS4.
Can I downgrade my PS4?
Generally speaking, it is not possible to Downgrade your PS4.
However there are advanced techniques that let you go back one update (e.g. if you are on firmware 10.01 and your previous firmware was 9.60, you could get back to 9.60), but these are pretty complicated and involved hardware/solder iron. See here for details.
It is also possible to Downgrade your PS4 if you had previously created the necessary backup of your PS4, when it was on a previous firmware. My guess is that most people who read this aren’t in this situation though. Nonetheless, you can read on that here.
Jailbreaks for Older firmwares
If you are on a lower firmware, you might want to stay there and use one of the Jailbreaks below.
PS4 7.55 Jailbreak
PS4s running on firmware 7.55 or lower can now be Jailbroken. The tools and process to Jailbreak your PS4s are described in the links below:
- Where to buy a PS4 running Firmware 7.55 or lower
- Mira Custom firmware for PS4 7.55. Compatible with 7.50 and 7.51 as well.
- PS4 7.50/7.55 Jailbreak released. (March 2021)
PS4 7.02 Jailbreak
PS4s running on firmware 7.02 or lower can now be Jailbroken. The tools and process to Jailbreak your PS4s are described in the links below:
PS4 6.72 Jailbreak
PS4s running on firmware 6.72 can now be Jailbroken (the Jailbreak was initially released on July 17th, 2020). The tools and process to Jailbreak your PS4s are described in the links below:
PS4 5.05/5.07 Jailbreak
If you own a PS4 Running firmware 5.07 or below, congratulations, you are on the golden firmware to Jailbreak your PS4! The 5.05 PS4 Jailbreak was released in May 2018 (and to the best of our knowledge, it is compatible with the rare 5.07 firmware). See links below for details. Also in general you can apply the tutorials used for 4.55 below (just make sure you use the latest version of the tools).
- How to get your hands on a PS4 running 5.05 or lower
- Where to get the 5.05 exploit
- How to run the PS4 5.05 exploit on an ESP8266
Below this point are more details and more information about PS4 Jailbreaks from past firmwares, or news relevant to PS4 Jailbreak history/tools.
PS4 4.55 Jailbreak – Historical notes for Firmware 4.55
If you own a PS4 Running firmware 4.55 or below, you can jailbreak your console, although at the moment we suggest you update to a better supported firmware (see above). But here are some links related to the 4.55 jailbreak for reference:
- How to get your hands on a PS4 running 4.55 or lower
- How to Download and run the PS4 4.55 exploit
- Holy Grail PS4 4.55 Payload to run homebrews and backups
PS4 Jailbreak – Historical notes for firmware 4.05
Firmware 4.05 was hacked shortly before firmware 4.55. If you have a console running on firmware 4.05, we now recommend that you upgrade to get the latest hack (see above for links on how to run recent exploits and other tools). The links below are kept for reference:
- What you can do on a hacked PS4 4.05 So far
- How to get your hands on a PS4 running 4.05 or lower
- How to update your PS4 to Firmware 4.05
- How to run the PS4 4.05 Exploit (Downloads + Tutorial)
PS4 Jailbreak – Historical notes for firmware 1.76
Firmware 1.76 was the firmware for PS4’s historical first jailbreak. The full files to Jailbreak the PS4 and/or run Linux on 1.76 have been released here. We have an article to help you find a 1.76 PS4 to buy. The dlclose exploit lets you run Linux on your PS4, or run your own PS4 native code (this can now be done on more recent firmwares as well, see above).
- Linux on the PS4 (Fail0verflow)
- CTurt PS4 Kernel Exploits (2015)
- PS4 Brazilian Jailbreak (2014)
- Jailbreak PS4 News & rumors – Fake exploits
PS4 Jailbreak – Linux on the PS4
In December 2015, Fail0verflow showed at the CCC hacking convention that they have Linux running on the PS4. They later on released all the required source code to run Linux on PS4, but not the required PS4 Jailbreak. Hacks have now been released for some models of PS4 to run Linux. Fail0verflow demonstrated Linux running on PS4 again, on Firmware 4.0x at the end of 2016.
Careful examination of the Fail0verflow 2015 presentation showed that the Fail0verflow crew were running their exploits through the Webkit 1.76 exploit, meaning their console was running on Firmware 1.76 at the time. in the 2016 Presentation, Fail0verflow member Marcan confirmed his PS4 was running on firmware 4.05.
Fail0verflow have stated that many kernel exploits exist on the PS4, and they are “easy to find”.
Linux on the PS4 – News
- PS4 hacks: Fail0verflow demonstrate linux running on PS4 Firmware 4.05 (2016/12)
- Release: Fully operation dlclose exploit + Linux for PS4, by kR105 (2016/04)
- SteamOS on the PS4 a possibility in the near future? (2015/12)
- Fail0verflow: “For the PS4, we’re trying something new” (2015/12)
- Linux on PS4: Fail0verflow Showcase Linux on the PS4, run a Pokémon demo (2015/12)
- Linux on PS4: More confirmation bubbling up from the scene (2015/12)
- Fail0verflow to announce a Jailbreak on PS4? (2015/12)
PS4 Jailbreak – CTurt Kernel exploits (Firmware 1.76, 2015)
In December 2015, hacker CTurt confirmed he has a PS4 jailbreak. He later revealed a second exploit. Both exploits have been released, in particular the dlclose exploit has been releasesd on PS4 firmware 1.76 and below, and is fully functional.
CTurt PS4 Jailbreak – Older News
- CTurt publishes PS4 Kernel exploit technical details, decides to end hacking research on PS4 (2015/12)
- Cturt Confirms PS4 Kernel Exploit (2015/12)
PS4 Jailbreak – the Brazilian PS4 Jailbreak (2014)
Although not an actual “PS4 Jailbreak” that would allow to run unsigned code, it’s been confirmed that people have found ways to pirate games on the PS4, without the use for any advanced hack. With the use of a simple raspberry pi, electronics stores in Brazil have been able to dump the licenses of games from a PS4 to another, enabling them to pirate games. This technique is also known as PS4 NOR Cloning.
- New piracy technique on PS4 in Brazil confirmed to be real, Sony might take legal action
- Jailbreak on PS4: origins and game list
PS4 Jailbreak explained (the Brazilian Method)
In the Brazilian “Jailbreak”, it seems the PS4 NOR is dumped to a memory card. Reading/Writing Data from a PS4 that has the right games “activated” on it seems to be the technique that has been used by hackers in Brazil to Jailbreak the PS4. Videos have been showcasing the use of a Raspberry PI and free software JAISPI to perform the dump. Note that it is recommended that you do not try to reproduce this unless you know exactly what you’re doing.
It is believed a similar NOR dump technique has been used by the Brazilian stores selling pirated games.
PS4 Jailbreak News – Real exploits.
Historical information that led to the multiple PS4 Jailbreak, as well as information on ongoing hacks for the PS4.
- 2018/05/28: PS4: SpecterDev releases PS4 5.05 kernel exploit
- 2018/02/27: PS4 4.55 Jailbreak: SpecterDev releases full implementation
- 2017/12/27: SpecterDev releases PS4 4.05 Kernel Exploit
- 2017/10/16: Hacker Qwertyoruiop claims victory on Firmware 5.00
- 2017/4/2: PS4 4.50 Jailbreak: qwertyoruiop progresses on PS4 Webkit hack, states he has a 4.50 kernel exploit
- 2016/10/24: PS4 4.01 Jailbreak showcased by Chinese hackers at Geekpwn convention
- 2016/04/02: Release: Fully operation dlclose exploit + Linux for PS4, by kR105
- 2015/12/30: Linux on PS4: Fail0verflow Showcase Linux on the PS4, run a Pokémon demo
- 2015/12/06: PS4 Hack: CTurt confirms PS4 Kernel exploit
- 2015/05/13: New piracy technique on PS4 in Brazil confirmed to be real, Sony might take legal action
- 2015/04/26: Jailbreak on PS4: origins and game list
- 2015/04/24: PS4 service for Jailbreak rumors incoming from Brazil
- 2014/10/24: Webkit exploit confirmed to run on PS4 firmware 1.76
Also check these other (real) PS4 hacks
A jailbreak is not the only way you can enhance your PS4 functionality! Check the following:
- PS4 Remote play – Developers found ways to port the PS4 Remote Play functionality to android and PC.
PS4 Jailbreak News & rumors – Fake exploits.
Although there is real progress being made on PS4 Jailbreaks and hacks, several sites exist with the goal of tricking you, pretending they have a PS4 Jailbreak for you. We debunk a few of those below, as always, beware of bad sites. When a PS4 Jailbreak is made available for your PS4, popular scene sites such as us at wololo.net will be the firsts to let you know.
If you just found an unknown website that claims to provide a CFW or jailbreak for the PS4, be extremely careful. Such sites are usually trying to get you to answer some sort of survey in order to get the “hack”. This is how they make money in general (but this is not their only technique!), as they get paid for every person who completes a survey. These surveys will most of the time not lead you to anything, or in some cases they will let you download a file that has nothing to do with a PS4 jailbreak. Their explanations for the hack will usually be extremely fishy, for example asking you to copy some files on the PS4 hard drive without explaining how to actually do it, or things similar to that. They have fake comments on their site to make you believe their stuff is legit, and also use black hat techniques to build fake followers on twitter and facebook.
More generally, ask yourself about the odds that you are the first one in the world to find about a PS4 hack that nobody else knows about. Console hacking is our passion on this site, and we have dozens of community members scouting the internet for any verifiable piece of information. If something like that was legit, we would find out within hours. Again, when a PS4 jailbreak/Custom Firmware is made available, wololo.net and other reputable scene websites will be the first ones to let you know.
Please share this page with your friends whenever they think they have found a PS4 Jailbreak. This page will be updated with the latest progress on PS4 hacking.