How to code Planeswalkers ? (Non Working)

For all your questions regarding Image Card Coding.
Please read the Image Posting Guideline & Index before posting in this forum.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST BUG REPORT IN THIS FORUM !!

Please read carefully the forum rules related to the card coding section : viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1545

All post will be edited to follow forum rules.
gothx

Planeswalkers?

Post by gothx »

Is there a way to add planeswalkers?

[EDIT ABRA - Merge Topic]
Psyringe

Re: Planeswalkers?

Post by Psyringe »

gothx wrote:Is there a way to add planeswalkers?
See this post.
jeremy

Re: Planeswalkers?

Post by jeremy »

there's basically no way to track tokens right now, so until that changes, no walkers. On the flip side, there's no way to cast cards from graveyard nor search for more then 1 card at a time, so even if walkers are able to be made, you still are unable to access most of their abilities.
Disturbed.1.93

Plainswalkers ~a shot in the dark~

Post by Disturbed.1.93 »

I was speaking with a guy in the chat a few months ago, but i do not remember who it was (if it was you please speak up because i would have never thought of this without what you said). In order to somewhat easily however very tedious, would be to impliment IF into every card. if a plainswalker is in play, a player can choose whether or not it attacks the plainswalker or the opponent. Under the restriction of course, that it can ONLY attack the plainswalker or the player. It may be treated as an enchantment but since i am not sure exactly how a plainswalker works (i hardly use mine) i cannot say exactly how the damage is distributed between the plainswalker and the attacking creature(s). And the counter placed on the plainswalkers could be treated as instants and IF (tap) THEN add one counter (instant) where the number of counters (instants) are equal to the power of the plainswalker. I know it is a shot in the dark but I thought it would be worth it to throw this up there :D
Psyringe

Re: Plainswalkers ~a shot in the dark~

Post by Psyringe »

I'm not sure, but I think you're assuming a very different program architecture than the one that's actually present. The whole point of the current architecture is to generalize game mechanics into modular functions which can then be combined in the card's softcode, and parsed from there. Implementing something into every card just to make other cards working is about as far away from this goal as you can get,not to mention that it would be a nightmare to do and maintain this for several thousand cards. ;)

I don't really understand what you mean by "treat counters as instants", to me these are very different concepts and I wouldn't know how to treat one as the other.

In short, it's great that you think about possible ways of implementing a feature that's requested by many people, but I think your suggestion here (if I understood it correctly) is very far removed from the program's reality. Don't let that stop you from making further suggestions though. :)
Disturbed.1.93

Post by Disturbed.1.93 »

well since i am not exactly sure how the game is built all i can do is guess but i just figured adding something to the code that applied to all creatures and the _cards.dat would have to be updated so that they are able to attack a plainswalker, but i dont know as much as you so... I'll see if i can think of other ways to implement it but since i cannot simply learn C++ in a day (or a month for that matter) then I might as well stay away from topics i know nothing about. It would be cool if there were a free way to learn C++ (easily) but untill i get a firm grasp on it I'll stick with the simple topics and PSP general discussion :)
Psyringe

Post by Psyringe »

Disturbed.1.93 wrote:i just figured adding something to the code that applied to all creatures and the _cards.dat would have to be updated so that they are able to attack a plainswalker
It would be easier to adapt the general targeting / damage assignment code. This code is used by every card that does targeting or causes damage, so if we add plainswalkers into this general function, then all cards will be able to use it, without the need to change and maintain the code for thousands of cards accordingly.
Disturbed.1.93 wrote:since i cannot simply learn C++ in a day (or a month for that matter) then I might as well stay away from topics i know nothing about. It would be cool if there were a free way to learn C++ (easily)
Actually you can learn C++ for free (the time frame is a matter of how much time you're willing and able to spend on it and your personal learning speed, but I think a month of dedicated studying is enough to give good results).

C++ is an extremely popular language and has been around for a long time, so there are tons of free resources for it. You can start by installing the (free) Visual Studio 2008, and then either search the web for one of the many free C++ books and start with simple programs (from "Hello World" onwards), or download the source code for Wagic and play around with it, modify it, learning C++ as you go. The first method is easier, the second might be more fun. If you run into problems, just ask. :)
Disturbed.1.93

Post by Disturbed.1.93 »

Cool, the only problem being my computer has both service pack and .net framework issues so i cannot install the compiler... but i have the Wagic source code and i think i'll start with your second method, since it's fun and i will not have to go through books all i gotta do is ask the right questions when i have them cuz of awesome communities like this one :D
Yeshua

Post by Yeshua »

you don't need .net to install a compile for C++.
Last edited by Yeshua on Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Psyringe

Post by Psyringe »

I really recommend to solve the service pack issues on your computer then though - learning to code without a working compiler is a bit like learning to swim without a water source. It might work, but having one makes it so much easier because it shows you any mistakes immediately.