Total newbie, wish to play Wagic on my PSP- Please give tips on how to work the files and have newest cards!

Additional Ressources for WTH : new cards, card images & more
toulousedude192

Total newbie, wish to play Wagic on my PSP- Please give tips on how to work the files and have newest cards!

Post by toulousedude192 »

Hello all, first time trying Wagic as a way to play MTG for the first time ever and not wanting to spend cash without IRL friends that would play with me, wanting to use my PSP for it. I'm quite confused on how this all works for PSP players specifically. From what I gather there's tons of Wagic versions released such as 18.6 up to 20, all of which have ups and downs, and then furthermore there's images needed for every card. As well as graphics for menus called "themes". If there's any up-to-date or close compilations, or just specific threads I could be pointed to and compile the files from with some steps, I'd be very appreciative of the help. I looked around and found this thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=66239

That seems to have a complete, ready to go pack of everything up to a certain time. It states in the thread there are minor errors. Aside from the pre-made version with certain cards in that thread which I'm downloading, Github has version 19, which I downloaded the zip of and can theoretically put other files into if shown a recent resource for them.

Basically, I see there's a premade version with issues, or the base components but am unsure which ones I would use if just using the components to make a more updated pack for myself.

Sorry if my phrasing isn't the clearest, and thanks to anyone who gives this thread a read!
John Rohan

Re: Total newbie, wish to play Wagic on my PSP- Please give tips on how to work the files and have newest cards!

Post by John Rohan »

Wagic was wonderful but is sadly is basically dead and no longer supported. I would try Forge instead.

https://www.slightlymagic.net/wiki/Forge
Bas

Re: Total newbie, wish to play Wagic on my PSP- Please give tips on how to work the files and have newest cards!

Post by Bas »

Sorry for the late reply!

The thread linked above was by me.
Why did I create that pack in the first place?
On the newest PSP game files I had quite some issues with at that time - at some point images weren't working at all or even worse slowdowns/performance, for instance.

There were quite a lot of new cards since the release I used, so I tried to take the new card files and force them into the old game executable/system files. This didn't go totally well, some cards I noticed I could fix, others not.

I'll try to get to phearbot to test the new build on my PSP and see if I might be able to pindown some psp issues with him in team.

I want to note that on the download links in my threads (I guess the latest one is on the latest page?) I strongly advise to wipe the profile because I believe having 50 user decks also results in a machine slowdown.

Of course, me replying this...early surely resulted in you probably found a way to play the game by now considering you are still lurking in the forums.
If so, did you test the new build yet? How is it working on the PSP?
Forums are down atm.

Please join the discord server in order to not miss stuff and be reachable:
https://discord.gg/JHK5pVaK5p

(You are not required to install the software, you can use it in a browser as well, albeit I recommend installing)
Haltgamer

Post by Haltgamer »

John Rohan wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:15 am Wagic was wonderful but is sadly is basically dead and no longer supported. I would try Forge instead.

https://www.slightlymagic.net/wiki/Forge
Forge is available for psp?
Bas

Post by Bas »

Not that I am aware of.
It also requires Java, I think there might be some mini-java build for PSP, but considering how many resources Java app require I *HIGHLY* doubt it will run on the PSP.

This is your first posting here - Are you asking the question for the OP or because you want to play MTG on your PSP yourself?
Forums are down atm.

Please join the discord server in order to not miss stuff and be reachable:
https://discord.gg/JHK5pVaK5p

(You are not required to install the software, you can use it in a browser as well, albeit I recommend installing)