what should we do now?

Everything that does not fall in the other categories
Aco

Re: what should we do now?

Post by Aco »

as i said wizard of the coast is *** off cause we use theire card images.
incantus

Post by incantus »

Well wololo, it might be a bit trickier than that, since you do talk about getting donations, and what you'd do with those donations. That's probably what the letter meant about "monetary compensation".

But yeah, if you remove all references to copyrighted content you'll probably be fine. But what is copyrighted? While you can't copyright the game mechanics itself, you can copyright the text describing those mechanics. So card names and card text probably fall under that designation, as well as card images.
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

incantus wrote:Well wololo, it might be a bit trickier than that, since you do talk about getting donations, and what you'd do with those donations. That's probably what the letter meant about "monetary compensation".
I rather think they did that to scare me (which works, by the way). And I'm pretty sure all Information I could give them on that subject would be used against me. I'm also pretty sure they're not legally allowed to "demand" how much revenue I get from the downloads. I also think a donation cannot be considered as a revenue directly linked to the downloads, but I'm no lawyer. (And just so people don't think I'm getting illegally rich, I still can't afford a second hand psp with the donations I got so far :P )
But yeah, if you remove all references to copyrighted content you'll probably be fine. But what is copyrighted? While you can't copyright the game mechanics itself, you can copyright the text describing those mechanics. So card names and card text probably fall under that designation, as well as card images.
I highly doubt you can copyright things such as "hill giant", "Library of Alexandria" , or "forest". I know America is rotten by capitalism, but I hope they still have common sense out there.
In their email they complain about images and copyrighted content, that's what is going to be removed from Wagic. Worse comes to worse, I can probably put the game mechanics in a config file, and distribute only the engine, with a separate game, to be 100% safe.
I sort of envy you for your job offer, while Forge and I only got Cease and Desist letters ;)
Judgement

Post by Judgement »

Ahh, sorry to see this project under fire. I was thinking maybe you could expand the field of customization, and let users put whatever cards they want, such as cards made from Magic Workstation etc. Maybe we could put our heads together to create a new card game using the mechanics of Magic? Create a template for Magic Workstation, then let users create cards with effects that are not totally bogus, submit them to a screening team which see's if it wrecks the quality of the game? Meh, just my two cents, don't go flaming me.
corytheidiot

Post by corytheidiot »

I found something wrong with the C+D letter. I read the article it refers to and it is about TV communication copyrights. I am serious read it yourself. It is talking about telecommunications. Nothing to do with what this is.

http://www.bitlaw.com/source/17usc/501.html

EDIT-----
Also I think the only thing anyone would have a chance to even try to get you for would be images. I know a simple way around that. Let the players worry about getting the images. Then that would fall on the persons getting the images not you. They could never get so many people. Besides, you are not profiting in any way, donations are not a profit, they could just be donations so you could afford your domain name and hosting cost.
Yeshua

Post by Yeshua »

I know America is rotten by capitalism, but I hope they still have common sense out there.
Don't think for a second capitalist America has common sense or decency. This is why I do not like living here all that much.
NyghtcrawleR

Post by NyghtcrawleR »

Yeshua wrote:
I know America is rotten by capitalism, but I hope they still have common sense out there.
Don't think for a second capitalist America has common sense or decency. This is why I do not like living here all that much.
Regardless of corruption/decency in some people...its not like there are places that are much better to live. Lets be serious here.
"Real Magic" Graphic Mod & Image sets: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=318