PSP performance observations

Do not post feature requests here, please.
Before posting bugs report check the Image Bug reporting help & guidelines
Forum rules
Do not post Features/Improvments request here (i.e : AI being stupid is not a bug, not being able to do a mulligan is not a bug, etc..etc..)
Before posting, please read the Bugs reporting guideline
Bas

PSP performance observations

Post by Bas »

i-am-not-one wrote:
The glitching I am talking about is the card images all becoming the card back image and some graphical stuff.
Only happened once. Zeth explained that it is because the PSP is reaching the limits of it's memory. :(
Let's talk about this.

From my obs;
- This happens mostly in one game of the first 1-3 games when you boot up Wagic on the PSP.
- If you run into this and just keep LT pressed all the time to skip forward to phases and turns, this pretty often results in the game going back to normal gamespeed with images. I do not know why this happens, but this is very interesting - Something must happen during this which clears up ressources. The big q is: If we find out which function does do this, maybe it can be called more often/at other places?
- AFAIR after you left the performance issues ingame for one time, they don't return (in game matches, but may in card shop). Again, why does this happen?

- For the shop, the slowdown issues often start after viewing the taskboard. (Might try to do a performance skin for PSP somewhen). This somewhat implies that there is something at the taskboard which eats up a lot of ressources...?
Forums are down atm.

Please join the discord server in order to not miss stuff and be reachable:
https://discord.gg/JHK5pVaK5p

(You are not required to install the software, you can use it in a browser as well, albeit I recommend installing)
Zethfox

Re: PSP performance observations

Post by Zethfox »

Bas its called a ram dump man. Ive explained this multiple times now.
things go back to normal becuase the psp dumps half its ram to make room for stuff. you dont crash cause we dump images before dumping anything else. second thing we dump is sounds.
then if there is still not enough room you just blue screen.
its something the psp does on its own. we have no control over it.
this is not a mystery, this isnt some puzzle we're trying to figure out.
psp has almost no ram, and when you consider CFW needs its own ram space, you are left with very little to run wagic.

if you can get a psp vita, and put custom firmware on it, you will barely ever run into this problem.
http://socialcompare.com/en/comparison/ ... e-consoles

to EVERYONE not just Bas if you really must insist on playing wagic on a psp. get a vita and run it on a vita, you will thank yourself.
also a via can run it in HD images. just a side note.
Bas

Post by Bas »

things go back to normal becuase the psp dumps half its ram to make room for stuff. you dont crash cause we dump images before dumping anything else. second thing we dump is sounds.
its something the psp does on its own. we have no control over it.
No offense, but doesnt those two statements contradict each other?
if you can get a psp vita, and put custom firmware on it, you will barely ever run into this problem.
Hopefully I finally get my first smartphone on my 27th birthday in four weeks. :x
Forums are down atm.

(You are not required to install the software, you can use it in a browser as well, albeit I recommend installing)
Zethfox

Post by Zethfox »

we load them in batches, images, then sounds. we can not control when the psp dumps its cache, only the order of the stuff we put in.
i-am-not-one

Post by i-am-not-one »

Whoa. Thanks for that info Zethfox.

That side by side comparison is really nice. :)

I did not realise the jump in memory was so great. I mean just look at the video memory alone, from 2Mb to 128MB.
That is insane. :o

I have dipped my toes in the waters of newer systems. I have tried Wagic on Android. I should make the jump but my PSP is so much more portable than my tablet.

Sorry for giving you devs a headache. I guess as Wagic moves forward eventually PSP support will disappear. :(
Zethfox

Post by Zethfox »

yes and no, i think psp support remains because of the vita being equal to a android phone, and CFW on vita is now real. it has a qaud core aram in it, did you notice? the thing is literally god mode of a psp 2001 model.
Zethfox

Post by Zethfox »

13,001 cards :) latest commit adds announcing X cost, delve, convoke, dethrone
Bas

Post by Bas »

we load them in batches, images, then sounds. we can not control when the psp dumps its cache, only the order of the stuff we put in.
Wouldn't it make sense to load sounds first so they get dumped before images? I mean, how many people are using sound for the game? I know I myself don't, or generally don't for my handhelds. Is that an option? If so, I would make a poll and ask around about sound usage.
Zethfox wrote:yes and no, i think psp support remains because of the vita being equal to a android phone, and CFW on vita is now real. it has a qaud core aram in it, did you notice? the thing is literally god mode of a psp 2001 model.
Wasn't there something on the PSV that makes running Wagic uncomfortable? Not sure, something with the CFW or anything?

€: Zeth, man, you are awwwwsm. Wish there is anything else I could support you with?
Forums are down atm.