Want to help ?

Do not post feature requests here, please.
Before posting bugs report check the Image Bug reporting help & guidelines
Forum rules
Do not post Features/Improvments request here (i.e : AI being stupid is not a bug, not being able to do a mulligan is not a bug, etc..etc..)
Before posting, please read the Bugs reporting guideline
wololo
Site Admin

Re: Want to help ?

Post by wololo »

Hey Muck, definitely!
We would definitely benefit from additional musics based on the opponents, as well as additional sounds for creature types...but if you have your own ideas, please feel free to mention them, I'd rather have people work on the stuff they'd like to see improved, rather than the stuff I'd like to see myself :)
dber

Post by dber »

I am a C++ programmer, well a novice, coz I study it. But if can, I can help
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

dber wrote:I am a C++ programmer, well a novice, coz I study it. But if can, I can help
We love all kind of help :) Is there anything special you would love to see in Wagic? Did you try to download the sources and compile the game?
m8ram

some random thoughts

Post by m8ram »

Hi,

I'd like to share some thoughts on how I and others might be able to help. And especially how you might be able to reduce the overhead of maintaining this project.

1) I believe that maintaining bug reports on this forum and on the google bug tracker unnecessarily increases the effort to keep track of issues and requests. I usually make a screenshot to remind myself of things I want to report or I write them down in a note on my phone while playing. I've now started keeping track where I reported them and you probably need to do the same.
I recommend closing the bug threads on the forum and simply direct everyone to report issues directly in the google bug tracker.

2) I'm no developer, I don't know C++ but I do know scripting and I'm learning python. I have tried to write something to check the card definitions but as has been reported in another post in this thread parsing the .dat files is not easy. It's probably possible in python as well but I haven't been able to figure that out yet. I tried a little sed magic to turn the .dat files into .ini type files but since every card's section is labeled [card] I ended up with a single card entry.
If you could either provide some hints on how I can parse the .dat files or (I realize that's probably a big effort) change to a different format I might be able to help track down existing issues in the card database.

3) To prove point 1) I'm not sure I reported this already but I believe a lot of issues with the card's like text not matching the actual abilities could be resolved by generating the rules text from the card's abilities.
You need to parse the abilities for every card anyway so generating a string based on that should be possible and doing so avoids any possible contradiction.

4) (apologies for the plug) The feature request I filed to have logging of whatever happened during the game would help both reporters of an issue and whoever works on resolving the issue.
An alternative would be the ability to add a unit test.
I tried running the current test scheme on Windows but was unsuccesful and since I don't normally use Windows I have not tried again.

5) Maybe not strictly related to this topic but I'm unable to compile the game on Fedora Linux because the fmod library is not shipped by default. Debian based distros do have a (non official) package for it. If I were able to compile without this library I'd be able to test and hopefully help more.
spittnacid

Post by spittnacid »

The success and direction of this program really depends on it's purpose. While it would be amazing to make the DEFINITIVE MTG game that's multiplatform and open source, because of copyright you could never go beyond donations and minor advertising. Trying to commercially market it as a DYI TCG engine wont get any downloads.

So if you were to go commercial, you'd have to basically create your own card game. You got the engine, really you just need very very good quality content. I see no shame either in a game that plays exactly like magic but is still DIFFERENT. A good example is Shadow Era... to me it totally plays like WOWTCP, but that's good cos it's familiar and very easy to get into. Where that game fails is their pricing. I think a great online TCG should be totally free to play yet offer micro transactions that serve only to eliminate the grinding you'd have to do to play for free. This model I think makes everyone happy, you'd get money from people paying for perks AND keep the totally frugal and some middle of the road people that usually will look past a game once they see its REALLY NOT free to play or they get to a point in the game that they have to pay to continue. To me that's dishonest and ultimately you lose all your customers. I believe honesty is the best policy.
Zethfox

Post by Zethfox »

we're not ready to go commercial or discuss it with our community :) remember, ultimately it will be our hard work which will make us decide what pricing methods and amounts we choose. the devs on the team have put a lot of hard long hours of work in making wagic, and while not perfect, we know we blow DoTP out of the water. with their 600 card support...lol thats embarrassing.
Amarquez

Post by Amarquez »

Why yes, I want to help.

I'm a graphic artist (on real life mediums, like oils and watercolors, I suck at Photoshop), as presumptuous as that might sound, and I was wondering: has it been suggested that Wagic could use it's own art? what I mean is, I would like to go and create a batch of illustrations for, say, the thinnest card set, all original illustrations for the Wagic cards in no way based on the Magic counterparts, so Wagic could be released with competent, own graphics. and we could even shake the framing here and there. After all, what is life good for, if not for working for free?

For me, it would be a great incentive to build a respectable portfolio, and maybe, eventually, some money for my tortillas. Also, I think I could get some people on board, after all, ten thousand plus cards are a lot of work. I really have no idea how many card are there

I hope to have an answer from a dev. In any case, I'll go ahead and make some.

EDIT: Apparently, there is a proper forum for this request so I will just hang this there.
rawsugar

Post by rawsugar »

seems like this game has come a bit to a halt....?

I'd like to update the AI folder or create a release for players who want higher difficulty.

Im trying to find out if anyone has taken steps in this direction?

regardless, I'd like some info of what rules are governing AI behavior? (also looking into implementing hints and toggled difficulty)
pankdm

Post by pankdm »

rawsugar wrote:seems like this game has come a bit to a halt....?

I'd like to update the AI folder or create a release for players who want higher difficulty.

Im trying to find out if anyone has taken steps in this direction?

regardless, I'd like some info of what rules are governing AI behavior? (also looking into implementing hints and toggled difficulty)
Not necessarily a halt, but indeed the speed of development is not that much due to the lack of active devs.
Actually, there are already some quite tough decks to beat: look into "Angelic Guise", "Forester", "Eternal life" and other with description "Modern ... ".
But anyway any new decks and improvements are always much appreciated.

You can check this thread viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3565 for existing hints.
Garrafa

Post by Garrafa »

Hey, I came up with an idea which can help to code a lot of unsupported cards. I don't know if anyone also had this idea.

Well, some cards singularities are easily coded with the use of tokens, but it isn't right, since a token can be a target.

So, why don't you create another type of 'permanent'? For example, I have ad nauseam, when I cast it, it creates a token which lets me draw cards and, after doing it, taking damage. Instead of creating a token, it could create an "effect", or some other name of permanent, this "effect" would've shroud, the same image as the card ad nauseam (MOL does the same thing) and, of course, it wouldn't count as a token.

This way, at the discard phase, if you have more than 7 cards, the game could create an "effecr" that lets you discard cards until you have 7 in your hand, instead of forcing the player to discard the first cards in his or her hand.