Android and iOS UI Improvement Suggestion

All suggestion to improve/change the Gui used by Wagic.
mnguyen

Re: Android and iOS UI Improvement Suggestion

Post by mnguyen »

Nigol wrote:I have read the guide you posted on the googlecode wiki page about the iOS controls. But It seems most of these double wipe up or 2 finger are not working on Android.

For example there is no way (unless mapping a button to the menu button) to sell cards, or toggle cards images. Or looking at the stats for a deck.

Why are these not implemented inside of the ANdroid version?
The double swipe was something I left in but is not part of the final project for the Touch interfaces. Double swiping the four directions is there for now as a placeholder until a more permanent solution is determined. There should be buttons or some more intuitive way to handle those actions. It's not something I plan to leave there long term. My hope is that we can come up with a universal solution to those actions. Perhaps in the next release all the touch platforms will be in sync with one another better.
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

Yes. As a reminder the deck editor and the shop were not our priority so far because our initial goal for the Wagic/ios ports was to build a game not using any deck editor or shop (believe it or not, for legal reasons).

I'm with Mike on this one, that onscreen buttons will probably be the solution we find for most things. I personally don't like the "swipe" shortcuts unless when they make sense "visually" (for exemple, swiping between collection and deck sounds like a great idea to me...although that could be discussed as the swipe could also mean "rotate the collection fast" a bit like in a music player
mnguyen

Post by mnguyen »

wololo wrote:Yes. As a reminder the deck editor and the shop were not our priority so far because our initial goal for the Wagic/ios ports was to build a game not using any deck editor or shop (believe it or not, for legal reasons).

I'm with Mike on this one, that onscreen buttons will probably be the solution we find for most things. I personally don't like the "swipe" shortcuts unless when they make sense "visually" (for exemple, swiping between collection and deck sounds like a great idea to me...although that could be discussed as the swipe could also mean "rotate the collection fast" a bit like in a music player
Ha that was my first thought too, but since we already had it defined that way on Android (thanks Yann, Wil), I decided to go with what people have used and concentrate on other things.
xgonzox

Post by xgonzox »

Strangley i was setting up my wagic for the first time and playing it on my android. my first thought was these controls are hard with the touch screen. knowing its highly modable i came to the forum to look for a controller just like mentioned.

I think at least for now touch should be disabled and an overlay pad should be added. at least until a time where either in game buttons assist with all functions ( alot of work im sure) or a version tailored better for touch controls can be made. maybe make it disable/enable in options because some android have keyboards/controllers on them.

fpse the playstation emulator on android has a good example to work with.

Good luck and thanks for the great app.
mickey_brown

Post by mickey_brown »

mnguyen wrote:
The simple answer to your question is "sure, anything is possible. It's just a matter of programming" :) The real question is whether one is really necessary for the game to run.

One important rule of UI design is to minimize the number of "administrative" elements and maximize content. You want to try to keep the number of non-game UI elements to a minimum. They detract from the game itself. Doing an "overlay", I assume, means to transpose a graphical version of the PSP controls onto the screen. This is distracting. While it may make sense in some games to put a joystick as an overlay onto the screen, I don't see the need of one here. Much of the Wagic controls can be substituted by some kind of touch interface (ie touch, swipe, pan, etc) . We still have more work to make the game totally touch friendly. For example, the current Android/iOS mechanism to "interrupt" is to swipe. while it works, it may be better to have the onscreen button work as the interrupt. That part needs to be coded. Same goes for other aspects of the game.

Thus, my answer to your suggestion would be to reconsider the need of an overlay and think if what currently is lacking can't be made working if we modify the touch interface itself.
The touch controls right now are finicky and frustrating. It's too easy to select things you're just trying to scroll past or read. Even if they were optimized swipe controls are just down right slower. On the PSP I blaze through my actions at the speed of light. On android every single action took like 5 times longer. They're not enjoyable. Not all the buttons need emulated. It doesn't need triangle, circle, l1,r1, start or select. It needs a small show/hide hand button, and maybe a virtual D-Pad. The D-pad wouldn't have to display all directions at once either. They could be contextually coded so that they only show left/right when you're viewing your hand or up/down when you're viewing lists. The touch controls are great for selection which cards to activate or attack with. It's navigation that's frustrating.
FinnIsabel

Post by FinnIsabel »

There are a number of reasons why you should never strive to create exact clones of apps for both iOS and Android. For starters, it can be extremely difficult (and sometimes impossible) to make these apps look and feel the same on both platforms and just check this https://www.the-next-tech.com/review/wh ... in-school/ site to check why social media and smartphones should be allowed in school. Additionally, this approach often results in decreased user engagement because users don't feel like they're really using the app or experience the same level of satisfaction as they would if it were actually designed specifically for their device.