Menu Frame

All suggestion to improve/change the Gui used by Wagic.
abrasax

Menu Frame

Post by abrasax »

Hi all,

I had a discussion recently on the chat with mike regarding the simple menu frame, I was thinking we could use some kind of images similar to the task list, but it seems to be more complicated than first tought, especially because this menu frame is use in different menu with different size that also might vary with time....

Currently the menu frame is using 4 small images that are difficult to customize, especially due to the ending of the line. My suggestion would be to use something more simply designed such as a square with top corner, bottom corner, horizontal bar and vertical bar, basically...something more or less similar to what we have currently...

Here is "rendering of my draft (its really, really quick and dirty made):

[The extension png has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

And the corresponding 4 file that could be use, they are 15*15px for the corner and 3*15 for the bar.

[The extension zip has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

The top corner, vertical bar and bottom corner are oriented right and should be "flipped" horizontally to give their corresponding left opposite, don't know if it is doable...

Well that's just a draft to give you the basic idea, images can surely be improved by any graphic expert around here...

In addition, the background of the menu is currently a grey square, it would be nice for theme purpose to be able to change color and transparency (maybe in form of RGB info in a dat file or something similar)...

Grü

abra
We need your Help !!!
New to wagic ? Be sure to check the following :

Bug report: Bug reporting
Help us: Add cards & Compiling.
Customize: Themes FAQ, All images thread, Abra's Mediafire folder
abrasax

Re: Menu Frame

Post by abrasax »

Hi,

Just answering myself (doing another post cause of the number of upload limitation) with another even more simpler approach two square 15x15px one for the bar, one for the corner, by rotating/flipping (if possible) we should be able to do any kind of frame... here an example:

and

Test:

ImageImageImage

Grü

Abra
We need your Help !!!

mnguyen

Post by mnguyen »

can you also provide a rounded corner version? Perhaps like in CSS add an image that sits on top of the current corners to make it look rounded would work?

Currently, the code can flip the images horizontally or vertically. Thus, in your current posting only the two images would be required. However, the background is customizable. It uses RGB values to determine the color. I was thinking the same thing about the external config file for the menus. That way, we could make changes to the conf file without having to recompile the code. Perhaps, we should have a file called "menus.cfg" that contains all the information about the menuing system. Here's what i propose:

menu.cfg
---------------------------

Code: Select all

[menu=DeckMenu]
# coordinates of where specific elements are located
[background]
name=DeckMenuBackdrop

[Scroller]
x=40
y=230
width=80
speed=100
type=1 // horizontal scrolling = 0, vertical scrolling = 1
numItems=1

[Description]
x= 230
y=28
width=220
height=145

[Title]
x=125
y=28
width=180

[Statistics]
x=280
y=8
height=50
width=227

[Avatar]
x=230
y=8
[/Menu]

[menu=DeckEditorMenu]
# coordinates of where specific elements are located
[Scroller]
x=40
y=230
width=80
speed=100
type=1 // horizontal scrolling = 0, vertical scrolling = 1
numItems=1

[Description]
x= 230
y=28
width=220
height=145

[Title]
x=125
y=28
width=180

[Statistics]
x=280
y=8
height=50
width=227

[Avatar]
x=230
y=8

[/Menu]
not all options are required and some may not be configurable based on the design. The menu system I've implemented uses a fixed layout so hard coding the values into the application is not ideal. Having a properties file makes more sense.

I prefer XML but I'm not sure what packages we available to us that can utilize XML properties.

What do you think?
abrasax

Post by abrasax »

Ok,

To you first question can I do rounded corner...for sure... here is again something quick and very dirty trying to do some kind of stone style...

and

Well I didn't exacly get what I wanted... but anyway the possibility are infinite...

ImageImageImage

As for using a "config" file, I think ) that would be a great enhancement, given that this config file can be overriden by a config file that could be put in the theme folder... I don't see why we couldn't use xml, the story mode use xml file and also allow to place graphic and text on the screen, we could also think that the "title" could be customizable (as in story mode you can choose font, alignement and position)...

Aynway, that was just some dirty draft... as I said this offer a lot of customization possibilities and be sure that if we implement such feature I would post as much file to customize as possible, because I love the fact that wagic can be customized ;-)

Grüssi

Abra

Note that the first post was a (very poor) attempt to do some kind of glossy effect, to put something like that you need more than 2 files in order to have the shadow and glowing correctly..
We need your Help !!!