Match Reward Alternatives

Suggestion about adding, unlockable, tasks, rewards and credits to the game.
Wyatt

Match Reward Alternatives

Post by Wyatt »

While I was brainstorming UI-related things, I hit upon a few other things, too. One of them was jogged by the discussion in the Shop Improvements thread, where the complaint was raised that the cost of boosters was much higher than the benefits of winning a match. In that tanent, one person suggested something to the effect of, "Why can't we just win cards?"

That's... a good question. And so this came out:

First off, beating a Hard opponent should be worth more than normal, and an Easy should be worth less. The numbers that jump to mind for me are 250, 400, and 550; they're probably wrong, this is what playtesting is for.

Another thought for match rewards is an option to get a few cards from a set you don't have yet. For example, the Easy reward could be 250 credits or two uncommons and two commons that you can't buy yet. In my mind, maybe an option to "peek" at one of the cards, would make for a fun addition to the chance mechanic.

A third option could be "Random Card from Opponent," which gives you the slim (around 1.7% or so) chance to get rare cards directly from your win. About a third of the time, you'll get a land, though. Bummer about your luck.
EDIT: a more exciting way that increases the longevity of the mechanic beyond the early game might be "Get random cards until you hit land."

And for even more fun, a similar could be implemented for Momir Basic, but instead of the opponent's deck, it would be taken from all currently stated cards, so:
creaturesInPlay / 120 + creaturesInPlay //120 being the number of lands in both decks.
Roughly speaking, that probably average out to being only about about a 7-8% chance of getting a non-land at all, but it has a chance of being pretty good that increases as a function of time. This should be considered a high-risk/high-reward mechanic in practise because the odds of surviving for an awfully long time in Momir are not generally great in my experience.

So, thoughts?

PS: Sorry if this isn't the right board, but it seems to be the place where feature and mechanic additions are discussed.
NyghtcrawleR

Re: Match Reward Alternatives

Post by NyghtcrawleR »

Wyatt wrote:First off, beating a Hard opponent should be worth more than normal, and an Easy should be worth less. The numbers that jump to mind for me are 250, 400, and 550; they're probably wrong, this is what playtesting is for.
You do win more for defeating harder opponents.
A third option could be "Random Card from Opponent," which gives you the slim (around 1.7% or so) chance to get rare cards directly from your win. About a third of the time, you'll get a land, though. Bummer about your luck.
EDIT: a more exciting way that increases the longevity of the mechanic beyond the early game might be "Get random cards until you hit land."
An ok idea but personally I would rather go to the shop and see what cards pop up and take my chances there even if I have to wait to unlock certain sets. When deckbuilding you look for cards that fit with your deck. Random cards you win would really do nothing for me as the chance of using them would be slim in most cases.
"Real Magic" Graphic Mod & Image sets: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=318
wololo
Site Admin

Re: Match Reward Alternatives

Post by wololo »

Also have a look at this thread which discusses the credits/bonuses, and stuff:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=506