cross platform support.

Suggestions and Ideas to improve the in-game deck editor
MR_Chickhabit

cross platform support.

Post by MR_Chickhabit »

I started playing only a few days ago and I love this game. great work all around.

I'm having difficulty playing it on my android 2.3.4 HTC G2 simply because the deck editor is in such a terrible state. I have trouble setting filters, and deck creation is simply impossible because the deck editor screen seems to be stuck on a loop of selecting up and down, making any hope of using it laughable.

but that's only the problem. I have a solution.

why not make the game have an account system? maybe through Facebook? that way I could edit my deck on my computer (or even an online version??)

this would make the game much more accessible and would make it easier to play.

thoughts?
Zethfox

Re: cross platform support.

Post by Zethfox »

you CAN edit them on the computer, in the user folder where the decks save to, open the .txt with notepad and edit away :) there is a section in the forum that walks you through this, also wagic 18 dramatically improves the editor...so keep an eye open for next release...
MR_Chickhabit

Post by MR_Chickhabit »

Zethfox wrote:you CAN edit them on the computer, in the user folder where the decks save to, open the .txt with notepad and edit away :) there is a section in the forum that walks you through this, also wagic 18 dramatically improves the editor...so keep an eye open for next release...
a text based editor? not ideal but I guess that's what beta is for.. still, glad to know it's there.

wagic 18? I'm excited. ima go Google that now.
Zethfox

Post by Zethfox »

we save decks in .txt format...also, wagic 18 fixes almost all the issues with deck editor, the buttons in filters are still a little sensitive, but still usable.
MR_Chickhabit

Post by MR_Chickhabit »

Zethfox wrote:we save decks in .txt format...also, wagic 18 fixes almost all the issues with deck editor, the buttons in filters are still a little sensitive, but still usable.
i'll have to look into text editing. i still like the idea of accounts though. makes cross platform Wagic a possibility, and with cross platform, comes multiplayer eventually. (maybe)
Zethfox

Post by Zethfox »

:) im not sure you understand what wagic can do :) no offense is meant by that, any decks you make will work the system across any of our supported platforms. same with any custom cards, and custom graphics, and so on.

this thread actually sounds more like a round about beat around the bush way of saying "add multiplayer"..haha
gap

Post by gap »

I guess he wants the profile to "be stored in the cloud".

For the future this would be a very nice feature.
For example at home I only play Wagic on my PC, but when I'm on the go i often want to play a few games on my Android phone.

I built my own profile import / export scripts on PC and Android.
One script tars (tar is supported by Android or busybox, not sure) the folder without the settings.txt, uploads it to my webspace. The other script downloads and untars again.
So I only get problems when I forget to start the export script on my PC.
MR_Chickhabit

Post by MR_Chickhabit »

gap wrote:I guess he wants the profile to "be stored in the cloud".

For the future this would be a very nice feature.
For example at home I only play Wagic on my PC, but when I'm on the go i often want to play a few games on my Android phone.

I built my own profile import / export scripts on PC and Android.
One script tars (tar is supported by Android or busybox, not sure) the folder without the settings.txt, uploads it to my webspace. The other script downloads and untars again.
So I only get problems when I forget to start the export script on my PC.

Gap has it, I'm not looking for multiplayer (at least not yet, I'm sure you are working on that)

I want to do exactly what gap does, but without the hassle of a script.

just a suggestion.
Zethfox

Post by Zethfox »

well, imo, i would rather see network support for 2 players over a network or lan , or via bluetooth before bothering to add network support for cloud-like storage.
altho the devs here pretty much work on whatever we want, if we get a dev interested in adding this feature, I would be happy to see it in as well.. :( but i wouldn't hold my breath. we run like 5 devs(one only codes cards and test so 4 really) that actively contribute on a regular basis, not like other mtg engines which have like 20 something people working on the code.
MR_Chickhabit

Post by MR_Chickhabit »

Zethfox wrote:...altho the devs here pretty much work on whatever we want, if we get a dev interested in adding this feature, I would be happy to see it in as well.. :( but i wouldn't hold my breath...
okay, well i seee the best way to get a "Devs" attention would be a big fat healthy thread about this feature.

I think that this app would benefit most of all from the cloud storage because it would introduce a more stable foothold for people to get started on the app with. with an account system, the user could put more work into their "profile" and when we DO get multiplayer people are going to want to put lots of work into their profiles (myspace proved that, facebook solidified it)

with popularity comes ad clicks, and with ad clicks comes revenue.

its a win win, dev dudes.