Parser: addition

All additions requested or suggested to improve the card coding language.
Zethfox

Re: Parser: addition

Post by Zethfox »

sorry if you took it the wrong way digix, but as you can see, i didnt like the way certain things in wagic worked...like the workaround for opponents hand, ect that i came up with...so instead i cracked open the source and with 0 knowledge in C++ was able to add a massive list of changes to wagic...im basically running a whole version ahead of everyone on the forum...the source codes ive worked on are submitted and awaiting approvel by wololo.

you might think what i was saying was harsh, but you have to understand where that was coming from...if you look back through my post i was asking for all sorts of stuff and getting pretty annoyed thinking that stuff would never be added...you want to know what i was told?

"Wagic is open source, if you really want to see changes you are going to have to """"GET TO WORK ON EM YOURSELF"""

and thats exactly what i did.

ive started knocking out some of this very same issues you had in this post...now you will see "bounce, sacrifice, and god knows what else ill change into actual text abilities instead of "move move move move move" or "ability ability ability" i dislike seeing those menus as much as you do...the difference is, im doing something about it instead of conforming to "well i wont suggest anything cause its not worth anyones time"
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

With the help of Zethfox we improved things a little bit for "move" abilities.
I keep digix's suggestion in mind (adding something to the parser so that the card coder can create their own "ability name") and added it to my insanely long todo list.
digix

Post by digix »

I don't need your arrogance. I don't need your empty apologies. I don't need your BS. You want to write C++ code, that is your choice, your right. That doesn't give you the right to practically demand or expect anyone else to do the same, or imply such. That doesn't give you the right to tell someone that a workaround is "good enough". That doesn't give you the right to **** on someone else who made a valid suggestion without any expectation of it being implemented, only that it was a good idea. The only reason I decided to stop making suggestions is you decided to **** on my suggestion for no reason. I will post this again (from an earlier post elsewhere) so you understand exactly where I am coming from. I hope my being blunt gets through to you.

I am not a programmer of source code.

Do you understand what I just said? If not, it means I don't write programs. Period. I'll make a suggestion if those that do are open to them, but since you seem to jump on people (or maybe just me) and act hurt when they don't think your "work around" is good enough for the long term, I won't.

Something to note, this is only directed at Zethfox, no one else.

Being harsh, blunt and using tact like a sledgehammer is my best personality trait.

Zethfox wrote:sorry if you took it the wrong way digix, but as you can see, i didnt like the way certain things in wagic worked...like the workaround for opponents hand, ect that i came up with...so instead i cracked open the source and with 0 knowledge in C++ was able to add a massive list of changes to wagic...im basically running a whole version ahead of everyone on the forum...the source codes ive worked on are submitted and awaiting approvel by wololo.

you might think what i was saying was harsh, but you have to understand where that was coming from...if you look back through my post i was asking for all sorts of stuff and getting pretty annoyed thinking that stuff would never be added...you want to know what i was told?

"Wagic is open source, if you really want to see changes you are going to have to """"GET TO WORK ON EM YOURSELF"""

and thats exactly what i did.

ive started knocking out some of this very same issues you had in this post...now you will see "bounce, sacrifice, and god knows what else ill change into actual text abilities instead of "move move move move move" or "ability ability ability" i dislike seeing those menus as much as you do...the difference is, im doing something about it instead of conforming to "well i wont suggest anything cause its not worth anyones time"
Zethfox

Post by Zethfox »

reported.
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

digix wrote:I don't need your arrogance. I don't need your empty apologies. I don't need your BS. [..]

Something to note, this is only directed at Zethfox, no one else.

Being harsh, blunt and using tact like a sledgehammer is my best personality trait.
Since this thread started, Zethfox has improved the way the abilities are displayed. He contacted me and provided some source code, which since then has been put in the SVN. So, he's trying very hard to solve your problem and you insult him..where does that come from?

I think you completely misunderstood Zethfox' reply, mostly because on a forum it is difficult to convey nuances and feelings (that's what smileys are for).
If I may say so, to my eyes you are the one who sounded arrogant from the start. In pretty much every single one of your posts recently, you add the precision that you are not a developer, as if C++ coding was some kind of dirty work, as if improving Wagic was "other people's problem".

Don't get me wrong, your work is really appreciated. The reason Zethfox "pushes" you (and why I let him do it) is because card coders are the most likely to understand the limitations of the parser, and want to solve them. Additionally, if you understand how to code cards, it means your brain is understanding the basic principles of programming. This, and your involvement so far makes you one of the best candidates to help with the C++ code. In the end, there is no difference between the C++ source code and the "cards code" except sometimes one is better than the other. You are the only one putting limits on yourself, you can't blame it on people who try to help you.

What Zethfox told you was: "Look, I'm a normal human being with no specific programming knowledge, and I managed to do little tweaks in the C++ code to ease my (and everyone's) work on card coding. If I can do it, you can do it too".

It's a matter of trying.
Nobody's asking you to "do it". But when you get a reply that says "we'd rather do it in the C++ code", it means that your idea is probably inefficient and would be easier done in the code. It also means we believe that you could do it, or at least try, and get "to the next level".

This thread is a constructive discussion about how we could improve the abilities menu that pops up. You stated your requests. We are discussing on how to match them in the best possible way. We all have reasons to go one way or the other, that's how a constructive discussion is made. You can for example see that my opinion has changed a bit since we started. That's how adults discuss. Sometimes it sounds harsh, but to me nothing looked "arrogant" or insulting, so don't take things too personally, just keep giving arguments to fuel the discussion. without taking things personally.

If psyringe and J were still lurking, you would see what a "strong" technical discussion is :lol:
Saiki

Post by Saiki »

digix let me put this out to you. I have 0 knowlege of C++ I have 0 programing expierence outside of BASIC, but I have made a few patches for other, more-complicated programs by learning to understand the code. (which for wagic illudes me for some reason..) but take the time to look, even if it makes 0 sense to you, and then try playing with the code and see if you can make it do what you want it to.
Zethfox

Post by Zethfox »

let this thread die, there are 2 types of people in this world....do'ers and whiners...its obvious what the cases are here.