Daedalus on HBL rev 101?

This forum is locked, but kept for archiving purpose. If you want to discuss Half-Byte Loader or PSP homebrews, we now recommend our sister forum http://wololo.net/talk
Forum rules
Do not post requests/bug reports regarding versions of the HBL that you didn't download from wololo.net, I do not offer support for other people's versions, thanks!
Rukus

Daedalus on HBL rev 101?

Post by Rukus »

I was wondering if it is possible to have the N64 emulator Daedalus run on HBL rev 101? (Or is there any other known N64 emulator that will run well using HBL?)

I followed the instructions from here - http://forums.daedalusx64.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2432 and ended up with HBL immediately bringing me back to the PSP main screen after hitting R in Patapon. I replaced the h.bin file (loacted outside of the HBL directory), replaced the hbl.bin file (located inside the HBL directory), as well as added the menu.bin file. I didn't add anything from the Source folder, is that necessary? If so where do those file go?

However, this was designed for rev 83, which coincidentally I cannot find on the main site.
I would prefer to continue running the most up to date HBL anyway, so is it possible to utilize the "modified version of HBL" listed in the link above in order to have Daedalus run on HBL rev 101?

I'm running OFW 6.20 using Patapon. I have other emulators such as NES, Super Nes, Sega, Gameboy, etc. running just fine.

Thanks in advance for any advice that can be given here.
wololo
Site Admin

Re: Daedalus on HBL rev 101?

Post by wololo »

Daedalus R13 and R14 run fine.
That post you saw is extremely old (may) and HBL has changed a lot since then.
Also, that post you saw if for Deadalus, not Daedalus... I'm not sure what the status is for Deadalus. I know salvy and the others have tried to make it copatible with HBL, but I don't know how much success they've had for the latest revisions.

What I did for Wagic is adding a lot of "error handling". For example, if mp3 playback is not available, then I don't try to play the music. If kernel mode is not available, then I don't activate the plugin, etc...
I believe most homebrews could achieve to run on HBL (even if it is a "less good" experience) by applying such coding practices, but I don't know how much of a priority HBL is for the Deadalus coders.
Rukus

Post by Rukus »

Thanks wololo for your reply.

I tried both Daelus R13 and R14 as you suggested with no success.

R13 - Looks like it will load but then just closes back out to PSP main screen. (This is where I downloaded R13 - http://www.evilpsp.com/story/daedalus-r ... -strmnnrmn)
R14 - Looks as if it will load but just remains a blank screen. (This is where I downloaded R14 - http://pspslimhacks.com/daedalus-r14-update/)

I'm currently running your 101 version of HBL. Any ideas? Perhaps I should be looking elsewhere for a place with the most reliable emulators for Homebrew? If you or anyone knows of a site that has emulators known to work with your HBL that would be great.

Apologies for novice questions, this is only day 3 for me every attempting to mod the PSP, just got this one. Would give anything to trade this 3001 with an older model that can be more freely modded.
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

Ok.
Did you try other emulators/homebrews, an do they work?

What is your firmware and the exploit you are running HBL on?
Rukus

Post by Rukus »

Yea I'm running OFW 6.20 PSP 3001, HBL rev 101 using Patapon. I have other emulators such as NES, Super Nes, Sega, Gameboy, etc. running just fine.
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

Daedalus should be running just fine with your configuration, so let's dig a bit more.
Can you try the version from my page: http://wololo.net/wagic/2010/07/18/15-e ... te-loader/ (number 10) and check if it crashes as well?

If it crashes as well, please try revision 99 of HBL, and in the meantime I'll try to investigate a bit more
Rukus

Post by Rukus »

Thanks Wololo. It seems your version of Daedalus did the trick. Just tested it out with Mario 64. I remembered reading somewhere that the sound made the ROMs game play suffer greatly. I disabled the sound and there was noticeable performance increase. The emulation quality is not exactly stellar though, you did state that you weren't impressed with Daedalus on HBL though.

Any other suggested setting tweaks? These are the listed preferences and their corresponding options (I left out things like controller and display framerate of course).
I've played with many of the settings which have yielded little to no performance increase. The only thing I have changed from default at this point that nets a speed increase is Audio - Disabled.

Preferences:
Texture Update Check - (Every Frame) (Every 2 Frames) (Every 5 Frames) (Every 10 Frames) (Every 30 Frames) (Disabled)
Frameskip - (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Disabled)
Limit Framerate - (Yes) (No)
Dynamic Recompilation - (Enabled) (Disabled)
Dynamic Stack Optimisation - (Enabled) (Disabled)
Audio - (Enabled) (Disabled)
Audio Frequency - (Enabled) (Disabled)

Global Settings:
Viewport Size - Fullscreen (480x272) / 4:3 unscaled (320x240) / 4:3 scaled (362X272)
Stick Deadzone - 28/100 **This seems to be fixed and not changeable...**
Software Clipping - (Enabled) (Disabled)
Highlight Inexact Blend Modes - (Yes) (No)
VFPU TnL - (Enabled) (Disabled)

On another note, I assume the answer is no here but wanted to ask. To upgrade your HBL version would it suffice to simply change out ONLY the h.bin in the root and hbl.bin in the HBL directory?

Any other general tips/tricks that I should be aware of or keep my eyes open for? Should you cap the amount of ROMS you have loaded onto your memory stick, regardless of the size? I have a 4 gig stick which is hardly being touched yet there are hundreds of ROMs for various different emulators loaded onto it.

I'm hoping to be able to contribute something back to the community once I get a sold grasp around modding these things.
Thanks again for your advice.
:P