How to translate the game manual?

All user created content to profit from wagic in other languages. You can post here in your original languages.
linshier

How to translate the game manual?

Post by linshier »

I mean, I can't find the source file of the game manual PDF from the SVN. If we want to translate it like Italian version, how to start the work?
abrasax

Re: How to translate the game manual?

Post by abrasax »

Hi,

The source is an open office doc: http://wagic.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/p ... manual.odt
To open you need openoffice: http://www.openoffice.org/ or you need an add-on for word (you can find one here: http://www.pcastuces.com/logitheque/odfword.htm on a french site, you can surely find something equivalent on a chinese site).

The game manual might be a little outdated, if you find time to improve it then please don't hesitate to submit it directly to the SVN.

Grü

Abra

PS: I moved the topic to "Other Languages" with the hope that some forum-user will want to translate it in their original language.
We need your Help !!!
New to wagic ? Be sure to check the following :

Bug report: Bug reporting
Help us: Add cards & Compiling.
Customize: Themes FAQ, All images thread, Abra's Mediafire folder
linshier

Post by linshier »

Thanks abrasax for the infomation. I check the odt file and it looks like the PDF manual is more up-to-date than the ODF one, but the PDF's source file is not there.
I thought that we might base our work on the newer manual...
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

The PDF Manual I think was made by Jeck, and unfortunately he never made the sources available. Or rather, the sources are the PDF itself... You would need acrobat (the full version) to update/translate it :|
enderak

Post by enderak »

It looks like it was originally made in Adobe InDesign, but without the source files, that's not much help.

Editing in Acrobat would prove to be a nightmare.. each line of text is a separate entity. I have converted the PDF to a word document using NitroPDF (which works 10x better than even Acrobat Professional for converting to Word) and it actually looks like a pretty accurate conversion. Without the original files, I think this would be your best bet for further editing of the Manual.

If you'd like, and if I am allowed, I can provide a copy of the word document. I am not sure what the copyright status is on the manual - there's nothing in the manual itself, so I'm guessing we're free to translate/modify the manual, since it sounds like it's no longer being maintained... (Wololo, please correct me if I'm wrong here)
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

enderak wrote: If you'd like, and if I am allowed, I can provide a copy of the word document. I am not sure what the copyright status is on the manual - there's nothing in the manual itself, so I'm guessing we're free to translate/modify the manual, since it sounds like it's no longer being maintained... (Wololo, please correct me if I'm wrong here)
Yes, please feel free to distribute your version. It was not Jeck's goal to not distribute the sources, I believe.
enderak

Post by enderak »

OK, you can get the .doc from my website at: http://www.enderak.com/wagic_manual.doc (Warning: size is about 22MB)

I tried converting to OpenOffice.org format, but none of the images came through. So unless the manual is rewritten from scratch, I think we're stuck with Word.
linshier

Post by linshier »

enderak wrote:OK, you can get the .doc from my website at: http://www.enderak.com/wagic_manual.doc (Warning: size is about 22MB)

I tried converting to OpenOffice.org format, but none of the images came through. So unless the manual is rewritten from scratch, I think we're stuck with Word.
Hi enderak, thank you for converting the manual for us. It is very helpfull. I think we can go on the work now. :D
I agree .doc is not a good idea for our open source project. Is there any other format we can try?
Personally, I don't have any good user experience with openoffice, but if it IS a better way...
Jeck

Post by Jeck »

Yeah, sorry about not distributing the sources to the PDF manual. The issue is that the source file is huge- I designed it for print quality, and putting it on SVN, where it'd be continually adding new versions, seemed to be an inefficient use of space. I've been on a bit of a sabbatical from Wagic lately, but starting Monday should have time to work on things again- I'll upload it to my private webserver and PM you (and anyone else who requests it) a link once I'm back home and have the files available.

Thanks for mentioning licensing, as the file itself is unclear. Before I distribute it, I'll make a (small and very unobtrusive) note in the document itself somewhere that file is creative-commons-attribution licensed, with the attribution bit waived for anyone intending to use it for Wagic purposes. Feel free to chop it into bits, remix them, slap your name on them, and then make millions off of it (heh). Actually, it might be a good idea to add information about Wagic's license there as well...

But yeah, a translation is an awesome undertaking, and we'll look forward to seeing the results. :)
linshier

Post by linshier »

Hi Jeck, I hear that LATEX can produce good quality PDF, so I am trying to learn it and to rebuild your design these days.
It takes me long time to adjust the format and style and now some page of English version is rebuilt. For I speak Chinese, I have asked one of my friends to help me translating out the text part of the manual into Chinese. So when the rebuild work is being done, I think we can have another preview Chinese version more easily.
I don't known whether it is OK to rebuild the manual with LATEX. But then, I think, the main file can be plain text and easy to be update and we can live without some non-free tools.