2nd Official Wagic Deck Competition - TALK

All created AI or player decks. All discussion related to Wagic AI deck competion and results.

Which deck will win the 2nd Wagic Deck Competition?

Collaborate
7%
Kithkin Family
No votes
Master Enchanter
No votes
Plague Rider
21%
Short Succubus
No votes
Snacko Black
No votes
Snacko Green
No votes
Switch Knife
50%
Token Time
14%
one of the others
7%

Total votes: 14

Psyringe

2nd Official Wagic Deck Competition - TALK

Post by Psyringe »

Hello and welcome to the ...

2nd Official Wagic Deck Competition!

Since the last competition has been a lot of fun for everyone involved - see the results and the talk threads-, we decided to run another one. This also celebrates the addition of more than 1,500 cards in Wagic 0.10.1, giving you a total of 5,149 cards to play with - deck creators will find lots of interesting new cards to build decks around. :)

1. What is this?

This is, hopefully, a bag full of fun for everyone involved. :D Going a bit more into detail, it's a competition. Wagic players submit decks that they have built, and the Wagic AI will then play tournament matches between these decks. The deck that wins the tournament earns (besides tons of prestige) guaranteed inclusion into the next release of Wagic.

The devs may also vote on an "Originality Award" for decks with interesting new ideas or flavor, the winner of which will also be included in the next release of Wagic. Other participating decks may be included as well.

2. Sounds fun - what do I need to participate?

To participate, you have to submit one or more decks for the competition. The decks will have to follow some rules:

- The format is Vintage for now (but only with the cards included in Wagic 0.10.1). In the future we will alternate between different formats, once we get format enforcement implemented in Wagic. But for this competition, we'll do Vintage decks. If you're not sure how to construct a Vintage deck, then this page will get you started. A list of all cards included in Wagic 0.10.1 can be found here.

- Submitted decks must be new, i.e. not already included in Wagic. Getting inspiration from other sources is perfectly okay, as long as it's new for *Wagic*.

- Submitted decks must be substantially different (no more than 50% of non-land cards identical) to the decks already included.

- Decks are submitted via PM to my forum account. You can specify a pseudonym if you don't want everyone to know that the deck was submitted by you.

- There is no limit on submissions per person. If you believe you can produce more than one competitive and interesting deck in the given time frame, more power to you. :) This also gives participants the opportunity to submit "experimental" decks alongside tried-and-tested ones.

- Submitters agree to have their deck included in Wagic. The champion will automatically be included. Further decks may be included as well depending on performance and originality. The devs may elect a deck for an Originality Award - this is to encourage submitters to leave the well-trodden paths and try new things.

3. What's the timeframe?

- Please submit your decks until Saturday, Jan. 9th, 23:00 UTC, via PM to my forum account. The first matches will begin shortly afterwards.

4. What else is good to know?

- Matches will be played on the most recent SVN version, which by this time will have fixes not present in the last released version.

- If you run into bugs while testing your deck, please mention them in the bugs thread, we may be able to fix it quickly.

- If you're in doubt whether your deck fulfills the "50% new cards" rule, here's the exact algorithm I use to compare two decks. usually you won't have to worry about this - I'll check your submission anyway, and if it's too similar to an existing deck, I'll inform you, and suggest to replace some cards. But in case you want to know the exact algorithm I use, here is it:
1. Put all non-land cards from your new deck on pile A
2. Put all non-land cards from the existing deck on pile B
3. Draw the next card (called C from now on) from pile A.
4. Search pile B for a card of the same name.
5. If you find one, then remove that card from pile B, and put card C on pile M (for "Matching cards")
6. If you don't find one, put card C on pile N (for "New cards")
7. Unless pile A is empty, continue with step 3.
8. If, at the end of the procedure, pile N has at least as many cards as pile M, then the deck can enter into the competition.

- Keep in mind that this is meant to be a fun event. :)
Psyringe

Re: 2nd Official Wagic Deck Competition

Post by Psyringe »

Some help for deck builders:

Attached to this post is the file Competition.zip. Download it, and unzip it into your "profiles" folder. You should then have a profile called "Competition" available in Wagic. This profile contains:
- a full collection (every card contained in Wagic 0.10.1 is included at least 4 times), as a catalogue for your deck building.
- copies of all 100 AI decks, if you want to compare your deck to them
- a 101st deck (deck101.txt) which contains all 100 AI decks in one file, for easy searching and browsing.

Also, here are some hints for Wagic AI deck building:

1. Lands that offer any kind of option are a problem for the current AI. It either uses only the first option, or cannot use the land at all. The AI also can't make good use of cards that transform one type of mana into another. Therefore, the safe way of building decks for the current AI is sticking to basic lands as the mana source of your deck.

2. The AI is a work in progress, and its understanding of the card is limited. If you want to build a high-performance deck, then testing is advised. One good method of testing is to play against your deck in "Evil Twin" mode. Another option is to go to the folder ai/baka, replace deck1.txt with your deck, replace deck2.txt with a deck you want to test your deck against, and remove deck3.txt (make bakups of the decks to be removed/replaced first). Then, start Wagic's "demo" mode. Wagic will now think that it has only 2 AI decks, and will pit these against each other in 50% of the games (the other 50% will see a deck playing against a copy of itself). Restore the original decks if you want to play Wagic.

3. Even though one *can* spend hours tweaking and testing a deck, it's perfectly okay to skip that part, and just submit a deck and see how it fares. It probably won't win the tournament, but it will add to the fun. :) Moreover, there's always a chance that we improve the AI, and things that haven't worked well before (and won't be present in any well-tested deck) may suddenly become useful. This competition is for *you* to have fun, participate in it in the way you like. :)
Attachments

[The extension zip has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Szei

Post by Szei »

3. is a nice trick for those who haven't compiled with your ai test mode.

I'm glad to see you're hosting another competition. I was working on quite a few decks up until a couple weeks ago (at which point my leisure time evaporated). Two of my decks are pretty much done, but the others I'm not so happy with. Hopefully I'll be able to iron out the problems in my decks in the first week of January when I'll have some free time again =D
fenrir911

Post by fenrir911 »

-_- srry im new here so not sure exactly what cards are in the sets.... im actually pretty new to magic, i started 2 months ago and quit cause i got banned from my friends house... but wagic drew me back into... magic lol
(does vntage mean no limit?)
well heres my deck irl and im not sure if all the cards are there... if not i have another deck below
(all my friends old cards lol my other deck is all shards of alara and conflux and the newest pack... i need to add that angel chick i got that when she attacks u can play any card from your hand... that would make this deck rape)

Blind sided
4x sneak attack
4x kokusho, the evening star
4x dark ritual
4x yosei, the morning star
4x keiga, the tide star
4x jugan, the rising star
4x ryusei, the falling star
1x demonic tutor
1x diabolic tutor
4x hypnotic spectre
4x black knight

10x mountain
4x badlands
8x swamp

-_- suks cause ive won every tournament with this deck.... it is an expensive deck to make though. also mana vault and sol ring would be good sides to this deck.

heres my deck in the game

Angelic Fever
4x glorious anthem
2x holy strength
4x luminous angel
4x pacifism
4x soul warden
4x sigil of the empty throne
3x knighthood
4x isamaru, hound of konda
2x akroma angel of wrath
2x crusade
4x kongming, "sleeping dragon"

1x sol ring (my friend told me limited to one but the game lets me put four... i play fair so only one :)
4x tigereye camo

19x plains

edited: more enchantmenty less weenie
Last edited by fenrir911 on Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
whismer

Post by whismer »

I'm sorry for you Fenrir but the first deck is impossible to create in Wagic... missing a lot of card.

For the second deck, I know they are a lot of White weenie deck in the first contest so maybe you have 50% of your deck already in the first contest... you have to verify!! (and you can put only 1 sol ring)

Whis
fenrir911

Post by fenrir911 »

kk will edit... and im still unlocking cards -_- if tihis game has all of alara and conflux i could post up my black white and blue artifact deck... although i havent made it in the game.
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

fenrir911 wrote:-_- srry im new here so not sure exactly what cards are in the sets
The list of cards you can use in this competition is here: http://wololo.net/miki/index.php/Wagic/SupportedCards
whismer

Post by whismer »

I'm officially in with a bizarro deck...

I had try to be in with a milling deck but AI don't use the "search library land" to help milling with the Hedron Crab... :(

I'm preparing at least another deck (80% finished but boring) and I will try to make my mill effective!

Whismer

:)
Szei

Post by Szei »

I'm wondering if I can submit my decks and then change them later (as in, my decks still could use a fair amount of work). I'm just worried that someone will submit a deck too similar to mine and I don't want all the playtesting I've been doing to be in vain because my deck is no longer valid (more than 50% same) =P
Psyringe

Post by Psyringe »

No need to worry - the 50% rule only applies with regard to the 100 AI decks in Wagic 0.10.1. It's no problem if two or more participants submit similar decks.

Regardless of that, you can certainly submit decks now and refine them later, that would be no problem either. :)