AI Commander Deck Cast Priority

All created AI or player decks. All discussion related to Wagic AI deck competion and results.
Bob

AI Commander Deck Cast Priority

Post by Bob »

I am thinking of creating a few Commander decks (or, more accurately, adapting some from elsewhere) for the AI to play. This is because only a few are available. At the moment the AI doesn't play Commander format very well - in part because it has a strange reluctance to play the commander itself - and without it in play the deck strategy falls apart.

So I wonder if there's a way I can use #HINT to resolve this problem. I have tried using #HINT:cast priority(creature), but this usually results in the AI spamming creatures from its hand over playing the commander.

But maybe there's an alternative #HINT I can use? Something like #HINT:cast priority(command zone) or something - to force the AI to play cards from the command zone first and then the hand?

Any ideas? I guess it depends on how the command zone is programmed - I don't have the skill to work this out myself, but building a few basic decks should be OK once I've solved this problem.

Thanks!
Vitty85

Re: AI Commander Deck Cast Priority

Post by Vitty85 »

Bob wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:11 pm I am thinking of creating a few Commander decks (or, more accurately, adapting some from elsewhere) for the AI to play. This is because only a few are available. At the moment the AI doesn't play Commander format very well - in part because it has a strange reluctance to play the commander itself - and without it in play the deck strategy falls apart.

So I wonder if there's a way I can use #HINT to resolve this problem. I have tried using #HINT:cast priority(creature), but this usually results in the AI spamming creatures from its hand over playing the commander.

But maybe there's an alternative #HINT I can use? Something like #HINT:cast priority(command zone) or something - to force the AI to play cards from the command zone first and then the hand?

Any ideas? I guess it depends on how the command zone is programmed - I don't have the skill to work this out myself, but building a few basic decks should be OK once I've solved this problem.

Thanks!
Hi,

In next release i will add "commander" and "*" types to HINT, so one good configuration could be:

Code: Select all

#HINT:castpriority(commander,*)
In this way the first card to be cast will be commander (if possible) otherwise all the other card type will have the same priority.

Of couse you will be able to specify a full list of types instead of "*" if you prefer (maybe for some specific deck there is a need):

Code: Select all

#HINT:castpriority(commander,creature,instant,sorcery,enchantment,artifact,planeswalker)
I guess it can be the solution you are looking for. I will let you know when it will be ready.

See you.

EDIT:
Ok, the new release is ready and available on GitHub or in my usual post: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=66595&p=99279#p99279
Bob

Post by Bob »

Great! Thanks so much!

That HINT is exactly what I had in mind, so I'll experiment and see how it works.

I will of course post any new AI decks to the forum for others to use.
Vitty85

Post by Vitty85 »

Hi,

Nice to hear that. I will be waiting for your news.

See you.
Bob

Post by Bob »

So. Good news on the HINT: it works well. The AI casts the commander as soon as it can. I also played some games repeatedly targeting the AI commander and it always recast it as soon as it could. I will post my new decks to the forum when they are ready, but I think this new feature will improve the AI competitiveness a lot. Commander games are usually more intricate than classic ones given there are 200 unique cards intersecting, so I think designing competitive AI decks is quite difficult. I will try my best - but the new HINT helps a lot!

I still find Commander format a bit glitchy. One problem is that sometimes the decks don't load properly at the opposition selection screen - i.e. not all the CMD decks appear on the list. Sometimes they all appear, sometimes none do - it's pretty random. Going back a step, and reselecting the player deck sometimes makes the rest appear, but it's not consistent.

I also had a few crashes playing as the Ragavan deck - always when the commander ability is triggered.
Vitty85

Post by Vitty85 »

Bob wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:46 pm So. Good news on the HINT: it works well. The AI casts the commander as soon as it can. I also played some games repeatedly targeting the AI commander and it always recast it as soon as it could. I will post my new decks to the forum when they are ready, but I think this new feature will improve the AI competitiveness a lot. Commander games are usually more intricate than classic ones given there are 200 unique cards intersecting, so I think designing competitive AI decks is quite difficult. I will try my best - but the new HINT helps a lot!

I still find Commander format a bit glitchy. One problem is that sometimes the decks don't load properly at the opposition selection screen - i.e. not all the CMD decks appear on the list. Sometimes they all appear, sometimes none do - it's pretty random. Going back a step, and reselecting the player deck sometimes makes the rest appear, but it's not consistent.

I also had a few crashes playing as the Ragavan deck - always when the commander ability is triggered.
Hi,

About the deck selection, it was a stupid bug... i already solved, you can download again the new release from my usual links.

About Ravagan deck, in the last release i tried to solve some issues i found, but in any case i guess it's a bit experimental deck, probably not stable 100% yet, could be good to understand which cards cause the crash and why, i will continue to investigate commander ability as you suggested, but i'm not sure 100% it's that, could be good if you can continue the tests too.

See you soon.