Premium Deck Slivers

All posts that are not relevant anymore.
Forum rules
Warning, you are in the archives section. There is a high risk the posts in this section are not accurate. Please use the search button to see if you can find more up to date information
mega

Premium Deck Slivers

Post by mega »

Hey everyone, first post and I need some help completing and testing my _cards.dat for the Premium Deck Slivers.

A lot of the creature cards are working and some of the non-basic lands as well. I haven't given Artifacts or Non-creature spells (such as Coat of Arms) a go as of yet as these are still a bit beyond me.

The attached file has a _cards.dat, todo.dat and there is a Deck list for all the cards in the set that you can use for AI or your own playable deck.

I've uploaded the card images with the dats and deck included here : http://www.mediafire.com/?ynfdnnmmyzj

The todo.dat contains cards that need to be tested or need help to get working. Cards marked ----testing are already in the _cards.dat but may have some problems. For instance

Quick Sliver It's Flash ability only works on it's self but not passed onto other Slivers.
Rootbound Crag Looks like it working???
Gemhide Sliver When more than one is in play, the option to add mana is repeated in the menu.
Homing Sliver Slivercycling is working in a round about way. Spend 3 mana then select a Sliver, from the menu move. Goto to your graveyard, select a sliver and sacrifice will appear, goto to your hand and choose a Sliver (these cards are blacked out ??) to sacrifice.

The Slivers Deck is playable for the moment and a lot of fun to play, although lacking a number of cards.
Attachments

[The extension zip has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Psyringe

Re: Premium Deck Slivers

Post by Psyringe »

Quick Sliver: I tested that card myself a while ago and found that lord() abilities couldn't affect cards in a player's hand. A quick attempt to fix that in the source code was not successful, but I didn't try very hard, so the solutionmight be just around the corner. But the card definitely does need source code changes to work.

Homing Sliver: From your description, it seems that the card is suffering from a known bug - under some circumstances, cards are blacked out although they can (and sometimes need to) be selected. I don't know the details of this bug, but it's known for a long time, so I guess that fixing it turned out to be pretty hard (otherwise it would have been fixed by now).

Gemhide Sliver: The duplication of abilities is annoying, but the card is working correctly, and removing the duplication would be quite hard. Some background on this: "Muscle Sliver" gives all Slivers +1/+1. If you have two Muscle Slivers in play (let's call them A and B), then each sliver in play gets +1/+1 from A, and +1/+1 from B. The Gemhide Slivers work exactly the same way. They give each sliver five mana-producing abilities, and if you have two Gemhide Slivers inplay (let's again call them A and B), then each Sliver in play gets these five abilities once from A, and then once again from B. If we wanted to prevent this duplication, then we would have to make the game check (whenever any lord() ability is granted to a card) whether this card already has the exact same ability. Then we we would have to check whether the ability is cumulative or not. And if it's not, then we would need to deactivate it somehow. Simply ignoring it wouldn't work because if a card does only get the effect from Gemhide Sliver A (and the same effect from B is ignored to prevent duplication), and A is then removed from play, then the previously ignored effect from B needs to be activated. In short, preventing the duplication would require so fundamental changes to the engine that it's probably better to just live with it, especially since the card does work correctly. ;)

Regarding the set itself: I didn't have the opportunity to test it yet, but did you copy the code from the existing slivers, or did you code new cards not already present in Wagic? The next version of Wagic will have a "primitives" feature which will make coding reprint sets very easy, provided that the cards are already coded in Wagic.
Saint

Post by Saint »

Even if all the abilities are fixed would it be that great to put in all the precon decks?:P I bought 2 premium sliver decks myself, totally ripped it and rebuild it to something that actually is tournament worthy :P You'll wipe it from the face of the earth once you start buying some good cards and creating a good deck, it might be fun to play against with your "starter" deck though, then it will be pretty hard, but that counts for every precon deck, there not bad, there just not good either (not tournament worthy at all) :P
"The bird of the Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame." - Ripley Scrowle, Elias Ashmole's Theatrum Chemicum Britannicum - 1652
Psyringe

Post by Psyringe »

Saint wrote:Even if all the abilities are fixed would it be that great to put in all the precon decks?
What specifically do you mean by "all precon decks" (pardon my ignorance, I'm not an expert with regard to terminology)
Saint

Post by Saint »

Precon decks is short for preconstructed decks, such as Elves vs Goblins, Garruk vs Liliana, Divine vs Demonic, Premium sliver deck even the "starter" decks of each serie fall under precon eventhough there 45 cards each instead of 60.

Just a few examples.
There all ok, but if you take one of them to a tournament (even a Friday night magic tournament (if it happens to not be a draft and an actual legacy tournament (wich is pretty much rare), or at a magic fair were they play different types of tournaments) you'll get your *** handed to you, if your in luck you might win a few games (mostly because you draw good hands and your opponent draws bad hands) but that's about it.
"The bird of the Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame." - Ripley Scrowle, Elias Ashmole's Theatrum Chemicum Britannicum - 1652
Psyringe

Post by Psyringe »

Thanks for the explanation. :)

I actually have _cards.dat files for "X versus Y" series and the Sliver deck available (they are part of a current project of mine), but they're not fully compatible with Wagic yet. It would be pretty easy to add them to Wagic for the next release. That's just the card data though, not the actual decks (though adding the decks would be as easy as listing the names of the cards and there frequency in the deck).
Saint

Post by Saint »

My pleasure :D

But like i sayed the precon decks are fun for starters but are no match against a even slightly well developed deck, just saying :P
Azul

Post by Azul »

It's fun to play 2 precon decks against each other when you are playing with newbies. The biggest thing with precons is that there is no consistency. There are no 4-ofs in a precon even though the theme might be half decent... and in Premium Deck Slivers they barely included any of the good ones . :( So sad.
Saint

Post by Saint »

Gotta agree, i ripped like half of the slivers out of the deck including the coat of arms that's in my sideboard.

But next to that it is fun playing Garruk vs Lilliana for instance because there matched together so even a pro could play them (eventhough they are still pretty basic).
mega

Post by mega »

Psyringe wrote:Regarding the set itself: I didn't have the opportunity to test it yet, but did you copy the code from the existing slivers, or did you code new cards not already present in Wagic? The next version of Wagic will have a "primitives" feature which will make coding reprint sets very easy, provided that the cards are already coded in Wagic.
Soz about the late reply, work and bad internet problems :(

Cards that already existed I just copied them into my card.dat, so I could get a better understanding of how to create my own cards and to test if they were working correctly. Plus I needed to change the ids so the cards would use the artwork from the PDS set. Others I created my like Homing Sliver, Root Crag and today Brood Sliver are my own and finally working. Though when Brood Sliver creates a token, if a Gemhide Sliver is in play it will also give you the option to create mana but I just ignore it.

Code: Select all

[card]
name=Brood Sliver 
id=208039
type=Creature
subtype=Sliver
mana={4}{G}
power=3
toughness=3
text=Whenever a Sliver deals combat damage to a player, its controller may put a 1/1 colorless Sliver creature token on the battlefield.
auto=lord(sliver) auto=@damaged(player) from(Sliver):may token(Sliver,Creature Sliver,1/1)
rarity=R
[/card]
[card]
name=Homing Sliver
id=207908
type=Creature
subtype=Sliver
mana={2}{R}
power=2
toughness=2
text=Each Sliver card in each player's hand has slivercycling {3}.  Slivercycling {3} ({3}, Discard this card: Search your library for a Sliver card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.)
auto=lord(sliver) {3}{S(sliver|myhand)}:moveTo(myhand) target(sliver|mylibrary)
rarity=C
[/card]
[card]
name=Rootbound Crag
id=208042
type=Land
text=Rootbound Crag enters the battlefield tapped unless you control a Mountain or Forest.
auto=aslongas(-mountain,-forest|myBattlefield) tap
auto={T}:Add {R}
auto={T}:Add {G}
rarity=U
[/card]
Though I see Rootbound Crag is in the SVN but it is coded as

auto=tap
auto=aslongas(mountain,forest|myBattlefield) untap
Fungus Sliver is still a problem..

text=All Sliver creatures have "Whenever this creature is dealt damage, put a +1/+1 counter on it."
auto=lord(sliver) auto=@damaged(this):counter(1/1,1)
It doesn't seem to want to add a counter, I think I have the @damage(this) bit wrong??

Will take another look at the set this weekend to see if I can get anymore working.
Saint wrote:Even if all the abilities are fixed would it be that great to put in all the precon decks?:P I bought 2 premium sliver decks myself, totally ripped it and rebuild it to something that actually is tournament worthy :P You'll wipe it from the face of the earth once you start buying some good cards and creating a good deck, it might be fun to play against with your "starter" deck though, then it will be pretty hard, but that counts for every precon deck, there not bad, there just not good either (not tournament worthy at all) :P
I'm not out to create a tournament worthy deck Saint. I started with the Sliver Deck as I wanted to learn a few things so I could code my own cards and give something back to the Wagic community as this app rocks.

So far by doing this set I've learnt to
Resize and crop images with Imagemagik,
Create cards for Wagic with working Images,
Compile from the svn, Wagic for Ubuntu and my PSP (will post up a Ubuntu Howto up if anyone is interested)
and started to learn C++

My goal is to recreate the card set (which is the Sixth Set) from the Dreamcast Version of Magic the Gathering video here and code the DC only cards as well.