Wagic on Android: Work-in-progress release

Announcements/news by the admins & moderators
wololo
Site Admin

Wagic on Android: Work-in-progress release

Post by wololo »

Update: This thread is now obsolete. the android version is now part of our "normal" release cycle, for now you can get it here:
http://www.wololo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3386

As you know by now, the wagic team has been working on an Android port of Wagic for a while.

The Wagic devs and myself have been receiving lots of contacts requesting an android binary, and so far we have declined the requests. There are two reasons for this: first, we believe the port is currently not in a really playable state (deck creation for example is not great), or at least not very intuitive. Second, we are working hard to bring Wagic to the android market, which involves lots of technical and legal problems that we are progressively solving.

That being said, some of the devs have convinced me to put a test binary up so that people can give it a try. I personally decided to put one condition to that: I want to know who's testing the game, so people have to request the binary to me personally. There is no limit to the number of testers, no "requirements" to qualify for the download, just send me a pm and you'll get the file. This is just for me to gauge interest and know who our testers are :)

Requirements
Android 2.3 or higher

Download and install
1) Request the .apk (Android binary) file to me by PM (please give me a few days to reply, I can be very busy sometimes)
2) Install the .apk file on your android, for example using "Astro"
3) Get a Wagic mod such as Knights and Dragons. A Wagic mod is usually made of a folder containing subfolders with the following names : ai, campaigns, graphics, lang, etc...
4) Extract the Wagic mod into /wagic/Res at the root of your Android sdcard. You will end up with wagic/Res/ai, wagic/Res/campaigns, etc...
5) start Wagic

Important notes / Disclaimer
- We tested this application on our own devices and had no critical issue. Nevertheless, this game comes with no warranty, you run this at your own risk
- If somebody else than me gives you a Wagic binary for Android, do not install it. At best it's the same I am providing, at worst you will be installing a virus
- As a consequence of the request above, I am asking people to avoid sharing the binary publicly for now. I cannot legally prevent people from redistributing compiled versions of Wagic, but if things go bad we will consider going closed source to avoid future problems. Whether you enjoy the game or not, I am asking you to respect the 4 years of work I put into it.
- If you do not install any mod, Wagic will most likely crash, the binary on its own is not enough to run the game.

F.A.Q
Q: This doesn't work/ it's too difficult, why does it require a rocket science degree to install the game?
A: This is a work in progress, we plan to make the install process way smoother in the weeks to come, please be patient if you don't want to go through the difficult installing process of this test version

Q: I got the binary to work, and found many issues, what do I do ?
A: please report your bugs and requests in this thread

Q: Great, it works, but that "Knights and Dragons" game sucks, I want to play something else
A: Wagic on android is compatible with all Wagic mods, if you find other mods you can install them

Q: This alpha is barely playable, I reported hundreds of bugs and you haven't fixed them, how long am I going to wait?
A: we are a very small team of devs working on wagic during our free time. If you have the skills to help, please contact me and join us, otherwise, please be patient

Q: Android is great, what about the iPhone and the iPad version?
A: If you're an iOS developer we'd love to hear from you. Currently our team is mostly made of people who dig Android, while we only have one iOS dev.
xojlmc

Re: Wagic on Android: Work-in-progress release

Post by xojlmc »

1) So, just installed the apk, after that downloaded mod & unzipped it using "androzip". Didn't work.
2) Downloaded mod from computer, unzipped it with winrar. Now I'v got start screen "42 cards (40 unique) etc..." after that it cancells.
So I'll install cyanogen mod 7 instead of MIUI and try that again
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

Don't try too hard... I have the same problem with that mod, so it's a problem with the mod, maybe it's not compatible with the android version, I should have tested that.

Edit:
This is a bug that was introduced recently in Wagic.
replace file Wagic/Res/rules/modrules.xml with this one:
http://wololo.net/files/wagic/modrules.xml

Edit: I updated the mod to avoid Wagic from crashing, I will also fix the bug in Wagic
xojlmc

Post by xojlmc »

wololo wrote: replace file Wagic/Res/rules/modrules.xml with this one:
http://wololo.net/files/wagic/modrules.xml
yeah, now it works!
xojlmc

Post by xojlmc »

I couldn't prevent myself from using wagic original Res folder to run, it works, it's obvious that controllers are not very good yet, but I've found out, that a red land (in a pre-made deck) cannot be tapped and give you red mana.
Is it a known bug, or it is to early for posting such bugs?
donpastor

Post by donpastor »

Running on HTC Desire with Redux 1.2 rom (Android 2.3.3)
Unofficial DOTP mod doesn't work (crashes when it gets to the menu)
Works beautifully with vanilla wagic 0.16 data (tested without images)
EDIT:
  • Tiny crops also works.
    Game crashes when buying booster packs
    Sound doesn't work
    Can't tap red mana, too.
    Seems to work on droid 2.2 (Tested briefly before I switched to 2.3 today)
Overall, i'm impressed :shock:
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

xojlmc wrote:it's obvious that controllers are not very good yet
That's the kind of report we are looking for. Can you give precise details? What's not working good, etc... we've spent lots of time improving the controls, especially ingame, and we are quite satisfied with the results, so if you think it's not good we probably need some guidance :)
but I've found out, that a red land (in a pre-made deck) cannot be tapped and give you red mana.
Is it a known bug, or it is to early for posting such bugs?
Can't tap red mana, too.
Please do not post bugs directly related to the MTG mod in this thread, we are looking for bug reports about the android version, not about the mod it's running. I know the limit is very unclear, so if you're in doubt, please post anyways.
for your specific problem, the problem is that you are trying the Res folder from Wagic 0.16 with a new version of Wagic, it is not entirely compatible. So either get a "fresh" Res folder from the SVN, or edit your rules/mtg.txt file (there's a "s" at "mountains that needs to be removed)
donpastor wrote:Running on HTC Desire with Redux 1.2 rom (Android 2.3.3)
Unofficial DOTP mod doesn't work (crashes when it gets to the menu)
What is the DOTP mod? Are you talking about Knights and Dragons? If so, please see the posts above, there's a bug preventing it from starting, but I gave a fix above.
Game crashes when buying booster packs
Known bug, thanks, see http://code.google.com/p/wagic/source/detail?r=3876
Sound doesn't work
We added sound support today, so it is not available in this alpha, sorry
Seems to work on droid 2.2 (Tested briefly before I switched to 2.3 today)
Now that we added sound support, 2.3 is required, so I didn't want to give people false hopes about 2.2 compatibility :)
Overall, i'm impressed :shock:
xojlmc

Post by xojlmc »

xojlmc wrote: it's obvious that controllers are not very good yet
well, maybe it's my personal bug, but for me the button "back" doesnt work, so if i want to go back, i press "home', kill the app and open it again.

Also, for me it seems to be not very comfortable to choose a card from hand, 'cause if i tap (for exmpl) a land just to watch, it automatically is chosen to field, so i have to tap screen in other space, then move my finger to the card just to look at it. Maybe somehow it's better to make a double tap: one for looking + one for choosing?

Ooh, I can just slide near the cards, then its okay :) the only trouble is "back" button
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

xojlmc wrote:
xojlmc wrote: it's obvious that controllers are not very good yet
for me the button "back" doesnt work, so if i want to go back, i press "home', kill the app and open it again.
Weird... the "back" button should show the menu, on any screen of the app. Especially, in game, it should show you the menu to go back to the menu.
What is your phone/tablet model again?
xojlmc

Post by xojlmc »

nook color + miui 1.8.5
maybe it's connected with the fact, that i don't have physical buttons, only 'button savior', which provides on-screen buttons