User contributions and Github project

If you have a question about the git repository and the code, or if you have code to propose then please post in this forum.
Do not post request here.
Djardin

User contributions and Github project

Post by Djardin »

Hi there,

When we moved Wagic to Github, we thought we would simplify the acceptance of new contributions to the code thanks to the Git tools, but it appears it's not the case:
- We had some contributions, but no contributing developer stayed active very long. In addition, none of the active developers were that active in the forum to track bugs and user contributions like new cards. Instead, we had contributions on UI, multi-platform, min-max, continuous integration (build and tests)...
- During this time, some very active users started to fork wagic from the old Google project and added new cards and other feature.

So, now we have several private projects containing various improvements not in the Github project...

As I have administrator rights to the Wagic Github project, I could easily accept user contributions to the project done using Github or even add some of you as member of the project to import yourself your or other's contributions. Thanks to the continuous integration in place, those contributions will be automatically tested/built by Travis and Appveyor and the project could in theory stay in a stable state.

What do you guys think ?

Xawotiths on Github.
kevlahnota

Re: User contributions and Github project

Post by kevlahnota »

well that's awesome... :D
please add me: anthonycalosa@gmail.com
Djardin

Post by Djardin »

There is a misunderstanding, probably since we moved to GIT. I'll try to make it clear:

[*] Supposing you want to improve Wagic with some new contribution (bug fix, new cards, new features, whatever...) AND you have a Github account (so, creating an account is the first thing you should do)
[*] What you should do is fork the Github Wagic project into your account, then checkout the source code, modify it however you want
[*] When you're happy with the state of your contribution, you probably want to check it in your own fork of Wagic to not lose it.
[*] When you're ready to share your modifications with everybody, you could want to share it back to the main Wagic project by performing a "pull request". This is very easy to do and is described here https://help.github.com/articles/using-pull-requests/.
[*] After this "pull request", automatically, all the tests and cross-platform builds will happen in the cloud and the maintainers of the main Wagic project can then manually accept or reject the contribution depending if they break things or not.
[*] Supposing they are accepted, they will become available in Github releases of the Wagic Project.

So, I can accept your contributions, but they need to be Git compatible, or I could even make you maintainer of the main Wagic project. Every devs that became maintainer of the Wagic project started by some contributions first.
kevlahnota

Post by kevlahnota »

I'll try the pull request as you suggested. :mrgreen:
KF1

Post by KF1 »

I love this community!

I like the idea of a point person looking at the contributions and adding them to an official release.

I also would love to see Wagic get an official release again with as many updates as we can have included in it.

Thank you.