OS Choice of Development

If you have a question about the git repository and the code, or if you have code to propose then please post in this forum.
Do not post request here.
lazyfiend

OS Choice of Development

Post by lazyfiend »

I was actually aware of Wagic before but i just became interested in it once it has a version for Android.

Some cards that i want to use are simply not available (like planeswalkers!). Since i am a developer, i decided that this is the right time for me to be motivated to really learn C++ :P.

I have a dual boot Windows 7/Xubuntu laptop, just want to know if developing in Windows is significantly easier than other OSes.
Djardin

Re: OS Choice of Development

Post by Djardin »

I have the "pleasure" to switch dev env very often. I'm using regularly the Visual Studio project of Wagic on Windows and the Qt project on Windows and Linux for those platforms and also mobiles ones supported by Qt. I'm doing Android dev on Linux, and I did some iOS dev from my Mac VM ... but I don't recommend it =).

So, to sum up:
- the Visual Studio project on Windows is my favorite when I have complex debugging to do just because of the quality of the VS debugger.
- Apart from that, I'm doing all my devs from the Qt project in QtCreator on either Linux if I'm home or Windows when I'm not home (my laptop runs Windows).
- I don't do any Android dev directly unless I have to (audio support for example) cause I think the Android SDK and tools in general are just poor for native developments.
mnguyen

Re: OS Choice of Development

Post by mnguyen »

I'm probably the only dev in the group that develops on the mac primarily. That's only because I'm making the iOS builds for the releases. That being said, I think what Djardin stated is what I'd recommend as well. Visual Studio is not my choice of editors, but it's the one most of the devs have installed (me included) and used for debugging more complex behaviors. Qt has the most work into it I believe in creating cross-platform builds. (Maemo, Linux, Windows desktop, etc). It too has debugging capabilities, though I haven't used it quite as extensively as Djardin, I believe it is comparable to VS. Eclipse is used for the Android development. I'm not sure how good the debugger is setup for users on that IDE. As far as iOS goes, it has it's merits, but is not optimal either, and seeing that I'm the only one using XCode for this project if you want support I'd go with the other IDEs because of the larger user base in this group.
Djardin wrote:I have the "pleasure" to switch dev env very often. I'm using regularly the Visual Studio project of Wagic on Windows and the Qt project on Windows and Linux for those platforms and also mobiles ones supported by Qt. I'm doing Android dev on Linux, and I did some iOS dev from my Mac VM ... but I don't recommend it =).

So, to sum up:
- the Visual Studio project on Windows is my favorite when I have complex debugging to do just because of the quality of the VS debugger.
- Apart from that, I'm doing all my devs from the Qt project in QtCreator on either Linux if I'm home or Windows when I'm not home (my laptop runs Windows).
- I don't do any Android dev directly unless I have to (audio support for example) cause I think the Android SDK and tools in general are just poor for native developments.