Slow on PSP sometimes?

If you have a question about the git repository and the code, or if you have code to propose then please post in this forum.
Do not post request here.
sandman423

Slow on PSP sometimes?

Post by sandman423 »

I compiled the latest WagtheSource and it seems like sometimes the game comes to a Utter slow pace...I get glitchy playback going through menus and it seems to happen whenever I unlock a new set.

I compiled for PSP and I notice the slowdown happens when I put my PSP on Standby sometimes and whenever i unlock a new set ingame it seems to slow down sometimes...

Main Menu works fine but the the 1st Player mode and Shop seems to come to a slow halt...

Anyone else notice this sometimes?

Any Recommendations to make it run normally?
goojamin

Re: Slow on PSP sometimes?

Post by goojamin »

I've noticed the same, usually happens after a few games for me. If i restart wagic all is back to normal.

From what i've read it is believed to be caused by corruption in the image cache that had been very hard for tbe devs to to track down.
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

This happens when the cache gets full and doesn't realize it, as goojamin said. I was convinced we had solved these issues...

Don't you have similar issues in 0.15.1? The current SVN should actually have huge performance improvements...

possible solutions:
- if your psp is a 2000/3000/Go, make sure you have the 64MB memory mode enabled (in other words: make sure you have a Hen or a CFW). If you have a psp 1000, you're out of luck on this one
- make sure you're not using high resolution images for cards
- use tiny crops instead of "normal" psp images. This divides memory usage by 2. see: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2197
- Make sure the lands in your deck are as homogeneous as possible (the less pictures in your deck, the better)
- In the options, disable card images (I know, not the best, but...)
goojamin

Post by goojamin »

Just for reference I am running on a psp1000 so I'm on the hardest hit platform. I also love full images (i know that doesn't help my cause :D).

Normally i can play at lest 3-4 games before i start to see extreme slowdown. Once it starts the only way to fix it is a reboot of wagic but given the other options no wagic at all or no images i can live with rebooting :)

The other thing that seems to bring the issue on faster is using very graphic and sound intensive themes. I generally play now on the gemsones theme. I used to love the mtgo theme but i get less plays between reboots so it is a trade off.
sandman423

Post by sandman423 »

I am on a PSP3000
CFW B3
sandman423

Post by sandman423 »

Still noticing slow down when I unlock sets...and when I sometimes put my game in standby mode..

I am using Latest Rev 3754..I am on PSP 3000 (Hunter Edition) (Latest Monster Hunter Limited Edition PSP)

CFW of 6.35 PRO-B3

Any recommendations?

I like using images because I like visuals in-game. I usually only have to hit 'Home' key on PSP to reboot to main Menu of PSP and restart Wagic...Not a problem but kind of annoying every time I unlock a new set.

What is the best CFW for PSP 3000 Currently 6.35 PRO B4?
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

did you try tiny crops as I suggested?
You also didn't reply to my question when I asked if you had the same problem on 0.15, can you reply? I need to know if the issue is recent to see where to look for problems.

I haven't tried the SVN version on a psp in a long time, but I'll give it a try.
Again, please try to create tinycrops packages and see if it helps you.

The SVN version should actually feel much smoother than 0.15.1, so I must admit I'm surprised you're running into problems. We freed close to 2MB of ram, which means everything should be much smoother.

Performance is one of my main goals for Wagic, but I must admit that with the growing number of features and card, it is more and more difficult.
sandman423

Post by sandman423 »

I am on 15.1

But lates SVN...I just updated SVN to 3760. I am trying to find a place with Tiny Crops Posted for PSP Sets..but so far no luck.

I am using only 1 kind of Full Art Zendikar Land Plains and 1 Zendikar Full Art Forest...I have 10 of each land with same images..same lands.
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

sandman423 wrote:I am trying to find a place with Tiny Crops Posted for PSP Sets..but so far no luck.
They don't exist yet in a wagic-compatible format as the feature was never popular. you can grab the images on slightlymagic, and then you have to provide some minimal personal effort to rename them and make them compatible with Wagic. If you can do that and share it with everybody on the forum, that would be awesome.
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

Just a follow up on that: I confirm that there are issues making the PSP version slow currently in the SVN.
I opened a ticket:
http://code.google.com/p/wagic/issues/detail?id=693