Support for TinyCrops and "correct" card names

If you have a question about the git repository and the code, or if you have code to propose then please post in this forum.
Do not post request here.
wololo
Site Admin

Support for TinyCrops and "correct" card names

Post by wololo »

Hi.
A while ago, Ilya B started a topic here about improving the design of the battelfield. Part of this suggestion included a "display image with text" mode for cards, which I implemented.
The design is not "great" for now, but I'll try to improve it based on Ilya B's templates (note that these templates cannot be used "as is" for now because IMO they are way to close to MTG's templates, and I don't like this for legal reasons, so they'll need to be slightly updated)

Additionally, I used the opportunity to support "real card name" for card pictures.
so now, instead of 12345.jpg, card pictures can be named "Ancestor's Chosen.jpg", etc...

The result is that Wagic is now more or less directly compatible with the "tiny crops" pictures that can be downloaded from slightlyMagic: http://www.slightlymagic.net/forum/view ... 4658#p4658 (look for "tiny crops").
You basically put these picture files instead of the usual images, no need to rename with ids, and you're set to go (you still need the thumbnails, though)

Benefits of the tiny crops:

- The text that shows on the card is the most recent text from the database, no more ruling issue
- The images takes basically twice less space in Ram on the PSP. Can probably even be pushed to a quarter by resizing the pictures to ...x128. This will allow a smoother experience for PSP owners.
- Images will take much less space on your memory stick as well

Benefits of the new naming convention:
- This should allow people to directly use MWS image sets in Wagic, or with minor modifications

The change is backward compatible, current image format and naming still work, of course :)
Ilya B

Re: Support for TinyCrops and "correct" card names

Post by Ilya B »

Great feature :) Thanx Wololo!
Let me know if you need any new graphic elements for this (i'm promising to visit here within 2 weeks ) )
note that these templates cannot be used "as is" for now because IMO they are way to close to MTG
Do you mean position of card elements, or just visual style?
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

Ilya B wrote: Do you mean position of card elements, or just visual style?
I think if you moved the "type" bar above the image (like we have in the current designs), we end up being far enough from MTG style:

so:
name
type

instead of
name
type
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

For those who ask, the "card name" support will be dropped in 0.16 for performance reasons. Luckily, nobody was really using it.
sandman423

Post by sandman423 »

Is there anywhere that can explain to us where to get images and how to make them TINY CROPS?

I would love to make ALL Sets Tiny Crops it makes Wagic run so much more smoothly...

The only downside I notice with Tiny crops is the bottom of the text box gets cut off so it is hard to read card Effects...
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

Most of them can be found there:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3066

For the rest, I assume the creator used some script utility, bash, perl ,whatever...