MULTIPLAYER will bring a huge player base and new life

All suggestions and feature requests to improve wagic.
Sub forums Card Coding & Parser ,Game Mode ,Deck Editor
mangage

MULTIPLAYER will bring a huge player base and new life

Post by mangage »

I made an account to say that finishing the multiplayer aspect, even if it's local or through hamachi, should be first and foremost in features being worked on. Being able to play with other people is what builds a large strong community. Being able to play cross platform would only make that community even larger.

I wish I could code for the game. All I can offer is when there's something working I'd be more than happy to design a new relaunch website.
Zethfox

Re: MULTIPLAYER will bring a huge player base and new life

Post by Zethfox »

multiplayer is in the works, the systems in wagic were all coded as though it would always be single player, the conversion takes time and experenced devs willing to do it. i would say it is about 80% complete, but no devs that i know of are currently working on it.
Djardin

Re: MULTIPLAYER will bring a huge player base and new life

Post by Djardin »

The multi-player mode is based on the serialization engine developed for the "undo" feature. Both features (multi-player and undo) are not finished because the serialization code is buggy. It is buggy because the game engine is buggy. The main game engine bug preventing the serialization code to work is known for a very long time and is logged here (https://github.com/WagicProject/wagic/issues/476). This bug does not really impact the 1P vs AI games, so nobody bothered to fix it. If we fix this bug properly, the serialization code will work, the undo feature as well and the multi-player as well. And btw, this serialization code is also a good basis to implement a minmax AI.

To clarify what is this serialization code, it is the management of the initial game state (list of cards, randoms seed) and the list of actions done by each players allowing to replay a game to any state.

For the undo feature, when activated, the game is reloaded based on the serialized actions and replayed without the last actions...
For the multiplayer feature, the initial games are synchronized between both devices and each actions are serialized and exchanged between devices...
For the minmax feature, the AI tries different actions starting always from the same starting point, to do that, the game needs to be reloaded all the time based on the serialized actions...

Now, anybody motivated, feel free to submit a pull request fixing the bug ;).