problems starting Wagic on Ubuntu

Need help installing/playing Wagic? Post here
scid

problems starting Wagic on Ubuntu

Post by scid »

So I have the following problem when I want to run the newest version of Wagic on Ubuntu (luxic lynx, actual build - older version of Wagic runs fine).

Code: Select all

./wagic_linux: error while loading shared libraries: libgif.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Any suggestions on that?

Another thing - if I start the 11.1 version on Ubuntu in virtual box, I get the following error:

Code: Select all

WARNING: Application calling GLX 1.3 function "glXCreateWindow" when GLX 1.3 is not supported!  This is an application bug!
failed to create drawable
X Error of failed request:  BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)
  Major opcode of failed request:  55 (X_CreateGC)
  Resource id in failed request:  0x5400004
  Serial number of failed request:  28
  Current serial number in output stream:  30
I had solved this temporarily with installing an nvidia driver - nvidia-glx-185 or something, but this screws my screen resolution settings, and after the next boot of the virtual system Wagic won't start anyway. So... anyone having any suggestions to solve this?
devi59

Re: problems starting Wagic on Ubuntu

Post by devi59 »

Hey, I found some things, that FMOD is the audio apparently. After scrounging around on the net for awhile I found some forums dealing with other games that have the same issue. Installing and copying the .SO is "supposed" to make it work. Took me quite some time to find it, I found an old RPM package that still had it. I havent installed it yet but Ill let you know if it works.

EDIT: IT worked, I used Alien to convert the RPM to a DEB and then installed it, then it worked flawlessly!!! I have the DEB file but I cant upload it. http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/s ... od-3.75.so will get you the RPM download, then if you dont have ALIEN installed, get it and have it convert the RPM file for use in Ubuntu
scid

Post by scid »

Thanks for sharing that solution. Worked fine for me as well.
devi59

Post by devi59 »

scid wrote:Thanks for sharing that solution. Worked fine for me as well.
Not a problem! I am at my in-laws (that I put ubuntu on their pc to stop malware) and I'm here for the holiday. It gave me the motivation to find a solution so I had something to do, my wife wouldn't let me take my laptop since we are going camping.
Mitsuplik

Post by Mitsuplik »

I'm in trouble wagic_linux the file is not running on ubuntu,
can someone help me.

the file does not run, nothing appears, has no error, the file was not able to perform.

the error that appears when I try to run the terminal

"error while loading shared libraries: libfmod-3.75.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory''
Last edited by Mitsuplik on Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

Mitsuplik, what errors do you get?
kriol

Post by kriol »

hi, i have the same problem, Mitsuplik. i have ubuntu 10.04 and i can play wagic 11.01 really good, but not the last wagic (12.01). its just dont run.

i do the same thing to run the game: i clicked with the right buton in the folder and then, in propieties, clicked in execute as a program, but when i do click in the archive wagic_linux nothing happens.

if someone could make a howto for ubuntu,step by step or something, please.

thanks.
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

please send the error message you get when trying to run the game from the command line
kriol

Post by kriol »

well, thats the problem, there is not an error message, it just not open, that's all. i don`t really know how to explane more carefully the problem, but when i click the icon, just like in the older version, this time nothing happens and i dont know what else to do.

sorry for my poor description but really there is not more than that.
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

In order to get the error message, don't use the "icons", please use the command line. I'm not an expert in linux myself, but I assume you know how to open a terminal and run an executable file?

1) open terminal
2) cd /home/yourname/yourwagicfolder
2.5) (if needed: chmod u+x ./wagic - or whatever the executable is called)
3) ./wagic (or whatever the executable is called)

Without the error message, there's pretty much nothing I can do. I'm assuming you are missing some dependencies, but if you can't tell me which ones, it's going to be tough...
If you can't manage to run it from the command line, try to install zlib, libpng, fmod, giflib and freetype for a start.

Sorry for the poor support on the linux part, there's just not enough linux users on the forum yet :(