PS Vita releases: Desert Golfing, Swordigo, and Wipeout Rewrite 1.1 by Rinnegatamante
Homebrew developer Rinnegatamante has released a bunch of new game ports and/or updates for the PS Vita. In the past few days, the developer has published Swordigo and Desert Golfing (two ports of Android games to PS Vita) and an update to Wipeout Rewrite which goes to version 1.1.
What are Swordigo and Desert Golfing for PS Vita
Swordigo is a 2012 action-adventure platform game created by Finnish indie studio Touch Foo. The game is similar to Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, Metroid, and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.
Desert Golfing is a minimalist golf video game released in 2014, for iOS and Android. It received positive reception from critics for its addictive gameplay and simplicity. The game takes place in an endless side-scrolling desert, where the player can shoot a golf ball using a one finger swipe to determine direction and power.
Swordigo and Desert Golfing are two new ports of Android games to the PS Vita, using a wrapper initially developed by TheFloW, as well as porting tools that have been improved over the years by Rinnegatamante, Gl33ntwine, Frangar, and more. This mechanism leads to really high quality ports, because they do not rely on emulation. Instead, they run native Android code via a thin compatibility layer. This ensures great compatibility and pretty much native speed.
We’ve seen Android ports to the PS Vita for multiple games now, including Dead Space, Mass Effect, Fahrenheit, Crazy Taxi, Rockstar’s Bully, GTA San Andreas, as well as Final Fantasy ports and more. Rinnegatamante confirmed there are now more than 60 games ported from Android to PS Vita using this process.
What is Wipeout Rewrite for PS Vita
Wipeout Rewrite is the original PSX Wipeout game rewritten from scratch based on the original leaked source code. This is a Vita port by Rinnegatamante using SDL2 (ported by Northfear) and VitaGL for Rendering.
This Rewrite was originally done by Dominic Szablewski (Phoboslab).
Version 1.1 of this port brings quite a meaty changelog:
- Updated to latest vitaGL commit.
- Show correct team logo in team selection menu.
- Blink current menu item 30x per second.
- Fix championship rank calculation.
- Avoid rendering more than once track sections in tracks with alternative paths.
- Prevent int overflow when projecting target reticle on screen.
- Fix TIM palette loading.
- Make image loading a bit faster by doing the color conversion for each palette entry just once.
- Add culling based on camera direction.
- Properly reseting ship exhaust plumes when going back to main menu.
- Fix ebolt thrust effect on player being framerate dependant.
- Fix ebolt effect on AI not being framerate dependant.
- Fix close to ground physics being framerate dependant.
- Fix detection for resuce droid on jump start.
- Correct pilots logo models drawn in main menu.
- Added View Highscores feature in Options menu.
- Added option to lessen internal camera roll.
- Ship properly drawn when rescued in internal view.
Download and install
You can download these 3 games for your PS Vita at the links below. The installation process in each case involves multiple steps (and, generally speaking, extracting the files from a legit copy of the original games), so be sure to follow the process for each game