Release: VitaDB Downloader 1.0 by Rinnegatamante
Developer Rinnegatamante has released VitaDB Downloader. A homebrew “appstore” app for the PS Vita, which can be considered the official client for popular homebrew repository VitaDB.
What is VitaDB Downloader for PS Vita
VitaDB is the most used Vita app repository for owners of homebrew-enabled PS Vita consoles. The database hosts thousands of utility software and games, with a website where people can manually download the homebrew themselves for manual installation on their console. It also provides an API, allowing developers to access the database programmatically. This means in particular that there are several Vita app “homebrew stores” that let you install games directly from your Vita, leveraging this repository.
Multiple “homebrew installers” exist that leverage VitaDB, such as Vita Homebrew Browser (VHBB), Easy VPK, Better homebrew Browser, and more. Which one you’ll use depends on your personal preferences, but Rinnegatamante (who developed and maintains VitaDB) has shown frustration that they all seem to have issues.
It’s in this context that he decided to release VitaDB Downloader, which can be considered as the “official” VitaDB client.
VitaDB Downloader – Features
No doubt that an app developed by the main person behind VitaDB will meet some success, although the developer warns that his focus is on robustness, not eye candy. Some installer apps try really hard to look nice, so at the end of the day, once again, it will depend on personal preferences.
- Searching by author/homebrew name.
- Filtering apps by category.
- Viewing of all available screenshots for apps.
- Sorting apps by different criteria (Most Recent, Oldest, Most Downloaded, Least Downloaded, Alphabetical)
- Showing of several metadata for apps.
- Download and installation of vpk+data files or vpk only at user discretion. (No more need to redownload data files everytime you want to update an homebrew for which data files are unchanged)
- Minimalistic GUI based on dear ImGui with focus on robustness over fancyness.
- Fast boot time (Only the very first boot will take a bit more due to app icons download. Successive boots will be basically instant)
- Low storage usage (Screenshots are served on demand, the only data that are kept on storage are app icons with a complessive storage usage lower than 10 MBs).
- Left Analog or Up/Down Arrows = Move selection
- Circle = Cancel selection
- Left Arrow (When selection canceled) = Return to Search textbox (Top of the list)
- Start = Show/Hide screenshots for selected homebrew
- L/R = Change homebrews sorting
- X = Install homebrew
Download VitaDB Downloader 1.0
You can Download VitaDB Downloader here.
In order to run VitaDB Downloader you need libshacccg.suprx. If you don’t have it installed already, you can install it by following this guide: https://samilops2.gitbook.io/vita-troubleshooting-guide/shader-compiler/extract-libshacccg.suprx
Install like any other VPK (reminder, you need a hacked PS Vita!). Once installed, you should be able to install any other homebrew (that is, those present on VitaDB) from the VitaDB Downloader interface!