How to Unbrick a PSP 3000 (Video Guide by Khubik)
Developer Khubik has shared a video guide on how to use Baryon Sweeper, in conjunction with a “new style” Pandora battery, to unbrick a PSP 3000. Please note that the tool does not work on ALL PSP 3000 yet, although it is being improved regularly. Check the disclaimer at the beginning of the video to see if your model is supported
What is Baryon Sweeper
The Pandora battery was probably the most important release of the PS hack scene: a simple hack of the PSP battery, allowing the console to enter service mode. And from there tinker with the device, in particular to install and run custom firmwares, or flash a clean firmware on a bricked PSP.
But Sony updated the PSP’s service mode process with new hardware revisions, making the Pandora battery useless on newer PSP Slim (PSP 2000) and all PSP Brite (PSP 3000) models. .
Baryon Sweeper is a tool that finally makes a Pandora-like process possible on most PSPs. It’s a bit more heavy handed than the Pandora process however, so it’s useful to have a video Guide.
PSP 3000 Unbrick with Baryon Sweeper
Check the video below for the full tutorial.
- Arduino or USB-TTL
- Diode 1N4148
- reusable wire Cables *5
- Memory Stick (original or MicroSD Adapter) at least 32 MB
- a Working PSP Charger
- Card Reader, or Another PSP + USB cable
1. Creating the Magic Memory Stick
- Download Jigkick Media Creator from Khubik’s github here (get the small archive) and extract it to your PC
- Connect a working PSP (or your card reader) to your PC via USB
- Execute “Jig Replicator.exe” with admin rights, and select “Jigkick Media Creator”
- Select “Despertar Del Cementerio”
- Once the program displays “done”, it means your Magic Memory Stick is created!
2. Preparing to Run Baryon Sweeper
- Install Python. You’ll then need to install a few python packages. In command line:
- pip install pycryptodome
- pip install tk
- pip install pyserial
- pip install requests
- Download Baryon Sweeper
- Open and extract the archive
- launch pysweeper.py to confirm everything’s operational
3. Building the emulator Hardware
Not as hard as it looks like! Follow the video instructions either for Arduino at 3:18 or for a USB-TTL at 5:51. The schematics are below but the video does a great job at explaining it very simply:
4. Actual Unbricking/Recovery
- Insert the Magic Memory stick into the bricked PSP
- Connect your Arduino or USB-TTL to your PC via USB
- Run Baryon Sweeper on your PC, select “Service Mode”, the COM port of your Arduino/USB-TTL, and press “start service”
- connect the charger to your PSP.
- You’ll now want to connect your Arduino/USB-TTL to the PSP Power lines. GND Line to Left pin, RX Line to middle pin, 5V Line to right pin simultaneously. Hold until the Green light on PSP turns on.
- You should start seeing logs on Baryon Sweeper, and the CFW tool (Despertar Del Cementerio) will start on the PSP. Congrats!