PS Vita Bootrom hack “broombroom” released
Developer SKGleba has released a Playstation Vita bootrom hack, which would typically be the holy grail of console hacking. But here’s the catch: the exploit only works on prototype units running on firmware 1.03. In other words, this release is really cool for those of us who like to think of themselves as “historians” of the scene, and people who want to understand the inner workings of a console hack, but will not be directly useful for the vast majority of Vita users.
As the developer notes:
This hack has been used to dump a DEM-3000L’s first_loader as well as some keys.
The vulnerability it exploits is only present on prototype units so I am sharing this code for archival purposes.
…But as a reminder, those of you with a PS Vita can easily hack it with already existing tools. We emphasize once again that this release is useful for “intellectual” reasons, not for the end user, but you’re still good to go 🙂
What is Broombroom for PS Vita?
From the project’s readme:
Playstation Vita first_loader hack for prototype units on firmware 1.03
This hack grants “bootrom”-level code execution on the PSP2 by exploiting a first_loader vulnerability discovered by Team Molecule
Download and use Broombroom – PS Vita bootrom exploit
Usage notes from the readme:
- You will need mepsdk and vitasdk
- Compile all the cmep-payloads, make sure that resulting byte arrays are static const
- Compile the main code, the result should be kexec.bin
- Run kexec.bin in THUMB mode with a kernel exploit such as this one
- By default, broombroom expects arg to be a user-space pointer to a decrypted 3.65 second_loader.enc
- it is only used for convenience, it is not required for the hack itself
- Porting to a firmware different than 1.03 requires offset changes in the kernel and tz payloads
- ‘Proxima‘ for help and guidance over discord
- ‘Team Molecule‘ for the user, kernel, bootloader, trustzone, update_sm and bootrom exploits as well as mepsdk and sceutils
- ‘Zecoxao‘, ‘LemonHaze’, ‘Princess Of Sleeping’
- All henkaku wiki and vitasdk contributors
- ‘Yasen’ for providing a type B prototype devkit and lots of electrons.